Share Selection Still Super Slow! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Share Selection Still Super Slow! - Veritas Backup Exec ; As suggested, I stopped all services and upgraded my MDAC to 2.5. I have also verified that I have all components and no errors. The problem remains with BE remains. I can open user shares in seconds over the network, ...

  1. Share Selection Still Super Slow!

    As suggested, I stopped all services and upgraded my MDAC to 2.5. I have
    also verified that I have all components and no errors. The problem
    remains with BE remains. I can open user shares in seconds over the
    network, but it takes minutes on BE. totally unuseable. Please tell me
    what exactly BE does step by step when I try to select a computer in the
    Graphic View of the Selections list.

    At 09:32 AM 3/22/01 -0500, you wrote:
    Joe,

    This error/issue can be caused due to corruption in the MDAC/ODBC. You
    may want to make sure that your MDAC is up to date.

    MDAC or Microsoft Data Access Components is a required component of
    Windows which is used to access databases. Most software which
    maintains a database, Backup Exec included, requires the MDAC in order
    to communicate with its database. The minimum level of MDAC required
    for Backup Exec 7.x and 8.x is 2.0. Under Windows 2000 the minimum
    level for 8.x is 2.5. Currently, we reccomend installing 2.5 and not
    2.6.

    Why do I have to install MDAC?
    Software which utilizes the MDAC requires the DLL files which make up
    the MDAC to be at a certain level, I.E. 2.0. If a required DLL file is
    not at least at the minimum version for the Software then the software
    will be unable to access its databases.

    Sometimes installation of certain software packages will partially
    upgrade the MDAC or backdate a certain MDAC DLL. Back dating occurs
    when the software being installed is older then the currently installed
    MDAC components. Unlike most Windows components, MDAC installations do
    not warn if older files are to be installed.

    Where Can I Get MDAC?

    To Obtain Mdac, Visit The Microsoft Data Access Web Site At,
    Http://Www.Microsoft.Com/Data/ And Download The Latest Release
    Available.

    How Do I Install MDAC?

    Stop all Non-Essential NT Services (especially database software),
    Install the MDAC package, Reboot, (Re)Install Backup Exec, Reboot one
    final time.

    Please note that the MDAC install will not update MDAC DLLs which are in
    use. Furthermore, the MDAC install can fail silently, not warning when
    DLL files cannot be updated. As such, shutting down non-essential
    services is essential to a proper update.

    Matt Heilig, MCSE, MCP+I
    Advanced Technical Support Engineer
    Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000
    VERITAS Technical Services
    < http://support.veritas.com/>
    "Ask me about SupportNOW!" -> < http://supportnow.support.veritas.com/>