Device and Media Service Not Stopping - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Device and Media Service Not Stopping - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a128. The Device and Media Service is not stopping. I tried to stop the service because the backup job didn't start running last night and I could not abort ...

  1. Device and Media Service Not Stopping

    I am running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a128. The Device
    and Media Service is not stopping. I tried to stop the service
    because the backup job didn't start running last night and I could
    not abort the job. So I stopped all of the services on all of the
    other servers because this is the backup server that stores the PVL
    database. It shows up taht the service is stopping, but it has
    been showing that for the last 3 hours. I have tried restarting
    it through services and Hyena 2.5, but the service just says its
    "stopping"

  2. Re: Device and Media Service Not Stopping

    "David M. Raymer" wrote:

    >I am running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a128. The Device
    >and Media Service is not stopping. I tried to stop the service
    >because the backup job didn't start running last night and I could
    >not abort the job. So I stopped all of the services on all of the
    >other servers because this is the backup server that stores the PVL
    >database. It shows up taht the service is stopping, but it has
    >been showing that for the last 3 hours. I have tried restarting
    >it through services and Hyena 2.5, but the service just says its
    >"stopping"

    A safe way is to try to stop other backup services one by one until "Device
    and media" stops if all other services are stoped but "Device and media"
    service still shows stopping, then kill it
    go to task manager and find the process under the name of pvlsvr.exe and
    choose to end the process.

  3. Re: Device and Media Service Not Stopping

    Hey seems like I have a very similar problem too.

    So far the only solution is to reboot the server.

    We have a TL891 from compaq with a proliant as its backup server runnin
    BENT8.5 with the latest drivers (1 month old). Win2k Adv Svr.

    What would happen is one of the following

    1. When doing an inventory of say 10 tapes, when it reaches say the 2nd
    tape.

    Status shows that it is "loading media". But this status shows it far too
    long.

    2. After a restore, 1 file or a folder or whatever that's selected. The
    tape/media would be stuck in the drive unit.

    The end result is that the tape/media would be in the drive unit.

    From the front panel of TL891 when trying to unload the tape manually, I get
    an ERROR 200F appear. (The only way so far that I've been unloading it is to
    power cycle the tape unit and then do the unloading.)

    On the OS side of things, stopping the BE services one by one. The only
    service that doesn't stop is Device and media manager.

    Tried these methods to kill the process.
    1. Kill pid
    2. kill -F pid
    3. use process viewer from w2k res kit. (change priority and then kill)
    None of the above worked. All methods kept on saying something along the
    lines of can't kill process.
    4. REBOOT!!!! <---- This works but no garautees that the tape will always
    eject the next time the tape is stuck again though.

    Contacted veritas tech support, they gave me as much help as possible.
    Sent then BEDIAG.fax and SGMON.log to them for reviewing, but weren't able
    to get any recommendations from them.

    Last step is to re-install BE again..

    Cheers
    Peter Chung

    "Saeed Rezaei" wrote in message

    > "David M. Raymer" wrote:
    > >
    > >I am running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a128. The Device
    > >and Media Service is not stopping. I tried to stop the service
    > >because the backup job didn't start running last night and I could
    > >not abort the job. So I stopped all of the services on all of the
    > >other servers because this is the backup server that stores the PVL
    > >database. It shows up taht the service is stopping, but it has
    > >been showing that for the last 3 hours. I have tried restarting
    > >it through services and Hyena 2.5, but the service just says its
    > >"stopping"

    > A safe way is to try to stop other backup services one by one until

    "Device
    > and media" stops if all other services are stoped but "Device and media"
    > service still shows stopping, then kill it
    > go to task manager and find the process under the name of pvlsvr.exe and
    > choose to end the process.

  4. Re: Device and Media Service Not Stopping

    I have the same TL891 drive as Peter. I am also having the exact same
    problems. I did try disabling the tape device from the Win2K Removable
    Storage Management and let Backup Exec handle the device. I thought this
    took care of the problem. It worked for almost 2 weeks, but now I am having
    the same problem. Once this happens, the ONLY way out of it is to REBOOT.
    I tried the same things as Peter to kill the pvlsvr.exe service and using
    the process viewer, but the service will not stop.
    One of the other postings in this NG mentioned a possibility of problems
    with tapes used from previous versions. They may be on to something here.
    It appears everything was running fine the last 2 weeks with my differential
    tapes, but they have been used now with BE 8.5. Prior to this they were
    imported from version 7.3. The one tape that caused a problem in the last 2
    weeks from a differential job was with a newly imported tape from BE 7.3.
    The other tape that caused a problem was a full backup using a newly
    imported BE 7.3 tape. This last weekend, it finished all of the backup jobs
    successfully, but left the tape in the drive. I have the same results as
    Peter if I try to manually unload the tape. I have had imported tapes work
    OK at times too. My latest theory was to make sure I do an inventory on all
    imported tapes before trying to overwrite them. This theory didn't hold up
    last weekend. Does anyone else have similar problems or any suggestions on
    what to try next? This is very bad to have to reboot the server every time
    to recover from this. This server can not be taken down during the day.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Kevin Ortner

    "Peter Chung" wrote in message
    > Hey seems like I have a very similar problem too.
    >
    > So far the only solution is to reboot the server.
    >
    > We have a TL891 from compaq with a proliant as its backup server runnin
    > BENT8.5 with the latest drivers (1 month old). Win2k Adv Svr.
    >
    > What would happen is one of the following
    >
    > 1. When doing an inventory of say 10 tapes, when it reaches say the 2nd
    > tape.
    >
    > Status shows that it is "loading media". But this status shows it far too
    > long.
    >
    > 2. After a restore, 1 file or a folder or whatever that's selected. The
    > tape/media would be stuck in the drive unit.
    >
    > The end result is that the tape/media would be in the drive unit.
    >
    > From the front panel of TL891 when trying to unload the tape manually, I

    get
    > an ERROR 200F appear. (The only way so far that I've been unloading it is

    > power cycle the tape unit and then do the unloading.)
    >
    > On the OS side of things, stopping the BE services one by one. The only
    > service that doesn't stop is Device and media manager.
    >
    > Tried these methods to kill the process.
    > 1. Kill pid
    > 2. kill -F pid
    > 3. use process viewer from w2k res kit. (change priority and then kill)
    > None of the above worked. All methods kept on saying something along the
    > lines of can't kill process.
    > 4. REBOOT!!!! <---- This works but no garautees that the tape will always
    > eject the next time the tape is stuck again though.
    >
    > Contacted veritas tech support, they gave me as much help as possible.
    > Sent then BEDIAG.fax and SGMON.log to them for reviewing, but weren't able
    > to get any recommendations from them.
    >
    > Last step is to re-install BE again..
    >
    > Cheers
    > Peter Chung
    >

    > "Saeed Rezaei" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "David M. Raymer" wrote:
    > > >
    > > >I am running BE 8.5 3571 on Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a128. The Device
    > > >and Media Service is not stopping. I tried to stop the service
    > > >because the backup job didn't start running last night and I could
    > > >not abort the job. So I stopped all of the services on all of the
    > > >other servers because this is the backup server that stores the PVL
    > > >database. It shows up taht the service is stopping, but it has
    > > >been showing that for the last 3 hours. I have tried restarting
    > > >it through services and Hyena 2.5, but the service just says its
    > > >"stopping"

    > > A safe way is to try to stop other backup services one by one until

    > "Device
    > > and media" stops if all other services are stoped but "Device and media"
    > > service still shows stopping, then kill it
    > > go to task manager and find the process under the name of pvlsvr.exe and
    > > choose to end the process.

  5. Re: Device and Media Service Not Stopping

    Here's an update to my problem - in case anyone else is having a similar
    issue. I updated to BE 8.6, and the problem disappeared. I can't explain
    it, but they must have changed something in 8.6 that fixed the problem.
    Hopefully it keeps working.

    "Kevin Ortner" wrote in message
    > I have the same TL891 drive as Peter. I am also having the exact same
    > problems. I did try disabling the tape device from the Win2K Removable
    > Storage Management and let Backup Exec handle the device. I thought this
    > took care of the problem. It worked for almost 2 weeks, but now I am

    having
    > the same problem. Once this happens, the ONLY way out of it is to REBOOT.
    > I tried the same things as Peter to kill the pvlsvr.exe service and using
    > the process viewer, but the service will not stop.
    > One of the other postings in this NG mentioned a possibility of problems
    > with tapes used from previous versions. They may be on to something here.
    > It appears everything was running fine the last 2 weeks with my

    differential
    > tapes, but they have been used now with BE 8.5. Prior to this they were
    > imported from version 7.3. The one tape that caused a problem in the last

    2
    > weeks from a differential job was with a newly imported tape from BE 7.3.
    > The other tape that caused a problem was a full backup using a newly
    > imported BE 7.3 tape. This last weekend, it finished all of the backup

    jobs
    > successfully, but left the tape in the drive. I have the same results as
    > Peter if I try to manually unload the tape. I have had imported tapes

    work
    > OK at times too. My latest theory was to make sure I do an inventory on

    all
    > imported tapes before trying to overwrite them. This theory didn't hold

    up
    > last weekend. Does anyone else have similar problems or any suggestions

    on
    > what to try next? This is very bad to have to reboot the server every

    time
    > to recover from this. This server can not be taken down during the day.
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kevin Ortner

  6. Re: Device and Media Service Not Stopping

    I also have had these same problems,
    importing / labeling the tapes seems to be the way to make it work, but as
    soon as a new tape or a 'strange' tape is put in it screws it up again.
    then only a re-boot........

    "Kevin Ortner" wrote:
> [...]

    >> lines of can't kill process.
    >> 4. REBOOT!!!! <---- This works but no garautees that the tape will always
    >> eject the next time the tape is stuck again though.
    >>
    >> Contacted veritas tech support, they gave me as much help as possible.
    >> Sent then BEDIAG.fax and SGMON.log to them for reviewing, but weren't

    able
    >> to get any recommendations from them.
    >>
    >> Last step is to re-install BE again..
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Peter Chung
    >>

    >> "Saeed Rezaei" wrote in message

    >> > A safe way is to try to stop other backup services one by one until

    >> "Device
    >> > and media" stops if all other services are stoped but "Device and media"
    >> > service still shows stopping, then kill it
    >> > go to task manager and find the process under the name of pvlsvr.exe

  7. Re: Device and Media Service Not Stopping

    Same thing here. Using BENT 8.6 build 3878 with latest drivers. Have follwed
    tech note 237047 to remove library about 3 times. Still no joy. Might start
    using Arcserve products instead.

    "Doug" wrote:

> [...]

    >is
    >>> power cycle the tape unit and then do the unloading.)
    >>>
    >>> On the OS side of things, stopping the BE services one by one. The only
    >>> service that doesn't stop is Device and media manager.
    >>>
    >>> Tried these methods to kill the process.
    >>> 1. Kill pid
    >>> 2. kill -F pid
    >>> 3. use process viewer from w2k res kit. (change priority and then kill)
    >>> None of the above worked. All methods kept on saying something along

    the
    >>> lines of can't kill process.
    >>> 4. REBOOT!!!! <---- This works but no garautees that the tape will always
    >>> eject the next time the tape is stuck again though.
    >>>
    >>> Contacted veritas tech support, they gave me as much help as possible.
    >>> Sent then BEDIAG.fax and SGMON.log to them for reviewing, but weren't

  8. Re: Device and Media Service Not Stopping

    Same here: everything is up to speed and every night the thing jams up with
    the 200F (Soft) Removal Prevented message on the TL891 and goes off-line.

    Has anything been done in the year since these folks complained?

    "Dean Hood" wrote:

> [...]

    >>>imported BE 7.3 tape. This last weekend, it finished all of the backup

    >>jobs
    >>>successfully, but left the tape in the drive. I have the same results

    >as
    >>>Peter if I try to manually unload the tape. I have had imported tapes

    >work
    >>>OK at times too. My latest theory was to make sure I do an inventory

    on
    >>all
    >>>imported tapes before trying to overwrite them. This theory didn't hold

    >>up
    >>>last weekend. Does anyone else have similar problems or any suggestions

    >>on
    >>>what to try next? This is very bad to have to reboot the server every

    >time
    >>>to recover from this. This server can not be taken down during the day.

+ Reply to Thread