Throughput dropped with v8.5 ! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Throughput dropped with v8.5 ! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Our network has run BENT v7.3 on a DLT for over a year now with no problems and great throughput. We installed a new server with a new DLT and BENT v8.5. To balance the backup load we decided to ...

  1. Throughput dropped with v8.5 !

    Our network has run BENT v7.3 on a DLT for over a year now with no problems
    and great throughput. We installed a new server with a new DLT and BENT v8.5.
    To balance the backup load we decided to take one of our servers out of the
    v7.3 rotation and add it to the new v8.5 backup. We installed the new remote
    agent on this NT4 sp6 server and added it to the rotation on the v8.5 backup.
    The configuration is set the same as the v7.3, but the throughput is absolutely
    horrible. It's averaging 5-8 mb/min !
    During our troubleshooting we added another new server running NT4 sp6
    ,that had never had an agent installed on it before, to the v8.5 backup.
    The throughput was great 400mb/min.
    Is there any known problems with installing new remote agents on machines
    that already have an older agent on them ? Also, restoring the v7.3 remote
    agent back on this server was a real treat as well! Finally had to do a "silent
    install" to get it to finally re-install! It's back on the v7.3 backup and
    throughput is back to normal.
    Anyone have any ideas ?

  2. Re: Throughput dropped with v8.5 !

    Did you uninstall, re-boot, install the v8.5, boot again when you upgraded the
    agent?

    Also double check that the NICs and switch ports ARE NOT set to autonegotiate.
    Probably not a problem, since you used to get good throughtput, but it never hurts
    to double check.

    Brian wrote:

    > Our network has run BENT v7.3 on a DLT for over a year now with no problems
    > and great throughput. We installed a new server with a new DLT and BENT v8.5.
    > To balance the backup load we decided to take one of our servers out of the
    > v7.3 rotation and add it to the new v8.5 backup. We installed the new remote
    > agent on this NT4 sp6 server and added it to the rotation on the v8.5 backup.
    > The configuration is set the same as the v7.3, but the throughput is absolutely
    > horrible. It's averaging 5-8 mb/min !
    > During our troubleshooting we added another new server running NT4 sp6
    > ,that had never had an agent installed on it before, to the v8.5 backup.
    > The throughput was great 400mb/min.
    > Is there any known problems with installing new remote agents on machines
    > that already have an older agent on them ? Also, restoring the v7.3 remote
    > agent back on this server was a real treat as well! Finally had to do a "silent
    > install" to get it to finally re-install! It's back on the v7.3 backup and
    > throughput is back to normal.
    > Anyone have any ideas ?

  3. Re: Throughput dropped with v8.5 !

    "Brian" wrote:

    >Our network has run BENT v7.3 on a DLT for over a year now with no problems
    >and great throughput. We installed a new server with a new DLT and BENT

    v8.5.
    >To balance the backup load we decided to take one of our servers out of

    the
    >v7.3 rotation and add it to the new v8.5 backup. We installed the new remote
    >agent on this NT4 sp6 server and added it to the rotation on the v8.5 backup.
    >The configuration is set the same as the v7.3, but the throughput is absolutely
    >horrible. It's averaging 5-8 mb/min !
    > During our troubleshooting we added another new server running NT4 sp6
    >,that had never had an agent installed on it before, to the v8.5 backup.
    >The throughput was great 400mb/min.
    > Is there any known problems with installing new remote agents on machines
    >that already have an older agent on them ? Also, restoring the v7.3 remote
    >agent back on this server was a real treat as well! Finally had to do a

    "silent
    >install" to get it to finally re-install! It's back on the v7.3 backup and
    >throughput is back to normal.
    > Anyone have any ideas ?

    Check to see if your new server is running full duplex 100 Megabit Ethernet
    over a switch. If so, force your new server's Ethernet card to use half
    duplex. That's one issue that killed my performance.

  4. Re: Throughput dropped with v8.5 !

    Wanted to let you know that after moving my backup server to a new server
    my throughput sank to less than 5MB/min for remote backups (v8.5). My NIC/port
    settings were set to 100MB/full. After changing it to 100MB/half, throughput
    jumpted to nearly 300MB/min. Good suggestion.

    "Kurt Gengenbach" wrote:

    >"Brian" wrote:
    >>
    >>Our network has run BENT v7.3 on a DLT for over a year now with no problems
    >>and great throughput. We installed a new server with a new DLT and BENT

    >v8.5.
    >>To balance the backup load we decided to take one of our servers out of

    >the
    >>v7.3 rotation and add it to the new v8.5 backup. We installed the new remote
    >>agent on this NT4 sp6 server and added it to the rotation on the v8.5 backup.
    >>The configuration is set the same as the v7.3, but the throughput is absolutely
    >>horrible. It's averaging 5-8 mb/min !
    >> During our troubleshooting we added another new server running NT4 sp6
    >>,that had never had an agent installed on it before, to the v8.5 backup.
    >>The throughput was great 400mb/min.
    >> Is there any known problems with installing new remote agents on machines
    >>that already have an older agent on them ? Also, restoring the v7.3 remote
    >>agent back on this server was a real treat as well! Finally had to do a

    >"silent
    >>install" to get it to finally re-install! It's back on the v7.3 backup

    and
    >>throughput is back to normal.
    >> Anyone have any ideas ?

    >Check to see if your new server is running full duplex 100 Megabit Ethernet
    >over a switch. If so, force your new server's Ethernet card to use half
    >duplex. That's one issue that killed my performance.

+ Reply to Thread