Veritas Backup Exec Version 8.0 used w/OnSteam SC50 Tape Drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Veritas Backup Exec Version 8.0 used w/OnSteam SC50 Tape Drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm having a couple of problems ... most recent is the fact that last friday, I spoke w/an Onstream Rep who told me my set-up was wrong ... the previous IT person had used the default setting of 4 mm ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Veritas Backup Exec Version 8.0 used w/OnSteam SC50 Tape Drive

  1. Veritas Backup Exec Version 8.0 used w/OnSteam SC50 Tape Drive


    I'm having a couple of problems ... most recent is the fact that last friday,
    I spoke w/an Onstream Rep who told me my set-up was wrong ... the previous
    IT person had used the default setting of 4 mm for the install and it should
    have been 8 mm. the onstream rep walked me through the changing of this
    setting and my tape backup scheduled jobs haven't worked since. something
    about invalid media. now it appears that OnStream is no longer doing business
    (Chapter 7) and I have been unsucessful in getting it back to the other setting;
    which although wrong - at least allow me to make a tape back up and restore.

    2nd, the reason I had called Onstream in the 1st Place is that my tape back
    up system (hardware and/or software) appear to be causing my server to crash
    (event 9 error & event 51 error) - I guess I can't get the error if the back
    up system doesn't work

    I would love to get some really knowledgeable advice from someone. thanks

    Louanne

  2. Re: Veritas Backup Exec Version 8.0 used w/OnSteam SC50 Tape Drive


    Well, I am happy to report that I believe that I fixed my own problem - (no
    thanks to any e-mails sent for tech support, to either company, which is
    a great disappointment to me).

    What I did is totally uninstall the Veritas Software, including catalogs
    & devices. Reboot the Server. Completely Reinstall the Software. Reboot
    the Server. Configure the Devices. After all that .... I did a sample back-up
    and a test restore, and at least my tape backup drive & software were working
    together again. Last night I once again had a sucessful tape back-up. I
    also was able to reinventory previous tape back ups & catalog them for use.

    Needless to say, I am pretty proud of myself.


+ Reply to Thread