Access Denied to Directory xxx - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Access Denied to Directory xxx - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, We are running BENT8.5.3571 and backing up a Novell Netware 5.1 (service pack 1) server. We are getting a lot of "Access Denied to Directory xxx" errors in our log files, thus creating a FAILED status for our backup ...

  1. Access Denied to Directory xxx

    Hi,

    We are running BENT8.5.3571 and backing up a Novell Netware 5.1 (service
    pack 1) server.
    We are getting a lot of "Access Denied to Directory xxx" errors in our
    log files, thus creating a FAILED status for our backup job.
    So far, this happens only on Incremental jobs. We do not seem to be
    getting this error on our FULL backups of the same server.
    The problem is that each backup gets this error on a different directory
    (have yet to see it happen on the same directory twice).

    The fact that it happens on different directories and works fine on
    fulls leads me to believe that it is not a rights issue. But we are
    having trouble pinpointing the source of the problem.

    Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

    - Sean
    MSX International
    Network Engineer

  2. Re: Access Denied to Directory xxx

    Sean Penndorf wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >We are running BENT8.5.3571 and backing up a Novell Netware 5.1 (service
    >pack 1) server.
    >We are getting a lot of "Access Denied to Directory xxx" errors in our
    >log files, thus creating a FAILED status for our backup job.
    >So far, this happens only on Incremental jobs. We do not seem to be
    >getting this error on our FULL backups of the same server.
    >The problem is that each backup gets this error on a different directory
    >(have yet to see it happen on the same directory twice).
    >
    >The fact that it happens on different directories and works fine on
    >fulls leads me to believe that it is not a rights issue. But we are
    >having trouble pinpointing the source of the problem.
    >
    >Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >- Sean
    >MSX International
    >Network Engineer

    I have the same problem and I have just about accepted that
    certain backups will have files and directories will have access
    denied messages. Usually inconsequential. Maybe it is that
    we run full/normal backups when users are less likely
    to be signed on. Sometimes it seems that resetting the
    selections list helps. For regular files advanced setting
    backing up with a lock can get more files backed up.
    This is not really useful for various database files.
    OFO option itself may be a can of worms you don't want to open.

+ Reply to Thread