<Unknown Drive> with Exabyte EZ-17 Mammoth2 and BE 8.5. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on <Unknown Drive> with Exabyte EZ-17 Mammoth2 and BE 8.5. - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have an Exabyte EZ-17 Mammoth2 tape drive (with Exabyte 210 emulation turned OFF), and it was working fine until about a week ago, when some of the cartridges showed up as "Unrecognized Media", inventory jobs would fail with the ...

  1. <Unknown Drive> with Exabyte EZ-17 Mammoth2 and BE 8.5.

    We have an Exabyte EZ-17 Mammoth2 tape drive (with Exabyte 210 emulation turned
    OFF), and it was working fine until about a week ago, when some of the cartridges
    showed up as "Unrecognized Media", inventory jobs would fail with the message
    "Physical Volume Library Drive not found"; and all other jobs would show
    "Device Paused" messages. I applied the MediaFix_233738.exe patch, which
    didn't have any discernible affect.

    I contacted Exabyte under the theory that it might be hardware-related, and
    they said to try deleting the drive and changer from BackupExec, restart
    the services, and let it re-detect them. I did so, and the result was that
    the drive is now listed in B/E as " - Disabled". This would
    seem to be the problem referenced in http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231925.htm,
    except that we've already turned 210 emulation off.

    So at this point, it's not clear what we need to do to get B/E to recognize
    this drive. Any suggestions?

    Ken Smith

  2. Re: <Unknown Drive> with Exabyte EZ-17 Mammoth2 and BE 8.5.

    What OS? I would rerun setup and check only the Tape Drivers box. Remove
    the drivers, reboot, and go back into setup Tape Drivers and load the
    drivers again.

    I have had the "Unrecognized Media" problem also. I had to move the tapes
    to scratch and let BENT relabel the tapes. The "Physical Volume Library"
    message may mean a corrupted pvl.mdb file. There are instructions for
    fixing this on other posts in the newsgroup from Ken Putnam and there is a
    knowledge base article on the subject at the Veritas support site.

    Alex

    "Ken Smith" wrote in message

    > We have an Exabyte EZ-17 Mammoth2 tape drive (with Exabyte 210 emulation

    turned
    > OFF), and it was working fine until about a week ago, when some of the

    cartridges
    > showed up as "Unrecognized Media", inventory jobs would fail with the

    message
    > "Physical Volume Library Drive not found"; and all other jobs would show
    > "Device Paused" messages. I applied the MediaFix_233738.exe patch, which
    > didn't have any discernible affect.
    >
    > I contacted Exabyte under the theory that it might be hardware-related,

    and
    > they said to try deleting the drive and changer from BackupExec, restart
    > the services, and let it re-detect them. I did so, and the result was

    that
    > the drive is now listed in B/E as " - Disabled". This

    would
    > seem to be the problem referenced in

    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/231925.htm,
    > except that we've already turned 210 emulation off.
    >
    > So at this point, it's not clear what we need to do to get B/E to

    recognize
    > this drive. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Ken Smith

+ Reply to Thread