2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server - Veritas Backup Exec ; My Dell PowerEdge 2400 Server with the Archive Python 4MM Dat Drive will crash EVERY time I install Veritas Backup Exec. I need to re-boot Windows 2000 Server in safe mode to surgically remove Backup Exec in order to bring ...

  1. 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    My Dell PowerEdge 2400 Server with the Archive Python 4MM Dat Drive will crash
    EVERY time I install Veritas Backup Exec. I need to re-boot Windows 2000
    Server in safe mode to surgically remove Backup Exec in order to bring my
    server back up. It crashes on Autoloader support or other tape drivers.
    Any help is appreciated, Thank you.

    Rob

  2. Re: 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    version and build# of your Backup Exec software?

    "Rob" wrote in message news:3aaed944$1@hronntp01....

    > My Dell PowerEdge 2400 Server with the Archive Python 4MM Dat Drive will

    crash
    > EVERY time I install Veritas Backup Exec. I need to re-boot Windows 2000
    > Server in safe mode to surgically remove Backup Exec in order to bring my
    > server back up. It crashes on Autoloader support or other tape drivers.
    > Any help is appreciated, Thank you.
    >
    > Rob

  3. Re: 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    My PowerEdge 1400 server does the same thing.
    Veritas will not talk to me on the phone without charging me and it is making
    me very angry. I was able to get around it by renaming the daprotim.sys
    file so that windows can't find it. The software appears to work with no
    problems and windows will boot normally. My annoyance is the error in event
    viewer and Veritas's lack of good support. One would think that if a software
    company had a bug in their program they would want to fix it, especially
    when their program costs over $300.

    "Ronnie Shih" wrote:
    >version and build# of your Backup Exec software?
    >

    >"Rob" wrote in message news:3aaed944$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> My Dell PowerEdge 2400 Server with the Archive Python 4MM Dat Drive will

    >crash
    >> EVERY time I install Veritas Backup Exec. I need to re-boot Windows 2000
    >> Server in safe mode to surgically remove Backup Exec in order to bring

    my
    >> server back up. It crashes on Autoloader support or other tape drivers.
    >> Any help is appreciated, Thank you.
    >>
    >> Rob

  4. Re: 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    Just something to try in coputer management disable the tape drive before
    installing the software. If then you are able to load the software use veritas
    device drivers.

    "Brandon Wires" wrote:

    >My PowerEdge 1400 server does the same thing.
    >Veritas will not talk to me on the phone without charging me and it is making
    >me very angry. I was able to get around it by renaming the daprotim.sys
    >file so that windows can't find it. The software appears to work with no
    >problems and windows will boot normally. My annoyance is the error in event
    >viewer and Veritas's lack of good support. One would think that if a software
    >company had a bug in their program they would want to fix it, especially
    >when their program costs over $300.
    >
    >"Ronnie Shih" wrote:
    >>version and build# of your Backup Exec software?
    >>

    >>"Rob" wrote in message news:3aaed944$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> My Dell PowerEdge 2400 Server with the Archive Python 4MM Dat Drive will

    >>crash
    >>> EVERY time I install Veritas Backup Exec. I need to re-boot Windows

    2000
    >>> Server in safe mode to surgically remove Backup Exec in order to bring

    >my
    >>> server back up. It crashes on Autoloader support or other tape drivers.
    >>> Any help is appreciated, Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> Rob

  5. Re: 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    I Installed the Software without a tape drive installed at all. Is this close
    enough? I don't know if there will be any difference. Also since it seems
    to be working, I really don't want to mess with it unless I am going to install
    a fix or a patch.

    "mike schulz" wrote:

    >Just something to try in coputer management disable the tape drive before
    >installing the software. If then you are able to load the software use veritas
    >device drivers.
    >

    >"Brandon Wires" wrote:
    >>
    >>My PowerEdge 1400 server does the same thing.
    >>Veritas will not talk to me on the phone without charging me and it is

    making
    >>me very angry. I was able to get around it by renaming the daprotim.sys
    >>file so that windows can't find it. The software appears to work with

    no
    >>problems and windows will boot normally. My annoyance is the error in

    event
    >>viewer and Veritas's lack of good support. One would think that if a software
    >>company had a bug in their program they would want to fix it, especially
    >>when their program costs over $300.
    >>
    >>"Ronnie Shih" wrote:
    >>>version and build# of your Backup Exec software?

    will
    >>>crash

    >2000

    >>my

  6. Re: 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    My Dell PowerEdge 2500 did the same thing. When I tried to brin it back up
    i got BSOD on daprotim.sys. I had to bring it up in safe mode and disable
    all of the BackupExec services to get the server to boot. The uninstall
    did not work either.

    You would think that since this has been going on for a year, Veritas would
    fix this.

    Jerry Riggin jerry@riggin.net

    "Brandon Wires" wrote:

    >I Installed the Software without a tape drive installed at all. Is this

    close
    >enough? I don't know if there will be any difference. Also since it seems
    >to be working, I really don't want to mess with it unless I am going to

    install
    >a fix or a patch.
    >
    >"mike schulz" wrote:
    >>
    >>Just something to try in coputer management disable the tape drive before
    >>installing the software. If then you are able to load the software use

    veritas
    >>device drivers.
    >>

    >>"Brandon Wires" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>My PowerEdge 1400 server does the same thing.
    >>>Veritas will not talk to me on the phone without charging me and it is

    >making
    >>>me very angry. I was able to get around it by renaming the daprotim.sys
    >>>file so that windows can't find it. The software appears to work with

    >no
    >>>problems and windows will boot normally. My annoyance is the error in

    >event
    >>>viewer and Veritas's lack of good support. One would think that if a

    software
    >>>company had a bug in their program they would want to fix it, especially
    >>>when their program costs over $300.

    >will

    >>2000
    >>>my

  7. Re: 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    Brandon,
    Thanks for the tip. Renaming the daprotim.sys file does seem to fix the
    problem. What is this file, and what will not work without it?
    After installing the Veritas software, I tried to rename this file back and
    got the same crash again. So I guess I just won't have whatever this driver
    is.

    Thanks,
    Laura

  8. Re: 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    I have done several installs of Dell servers where I've encountered this problem.
    It's a problem with the 3Com software based in the server. Dell has a solution
    online at:

    http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/doc...asp?DN=1060495

    "Jerry Riggin" wrote:

    >My Dell PowerEdge 2500 did the same thing. When I tried to brin it back

    up
    >i got BSOD on daprotim.sys. I had to bring it up in safe mode and disable
    >all of the BackupExec services to get the server to boot. The uninstall
    >did not work either.
    >
    >You would think that since this has been going on for a year, Veritas would
    >fix this.
    >
    >Jerry Riggin jerry@riggin.net
    >

    >"Brandon Wires" wrote:
    >>
    >>I Installed the Software without a tape drive installed at all. Is this

    >close
    >>enough? I don't know if there will be any difference. Also since it seems
    >>to be working, I really don't want to mess with it unless I am going to

    >install
    >>a fix or a patch.
    >>
    >>"mike schulz" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Just something to try in coputer management disable the tape drive before
    >>>installing the software. If then you are able to load the software use

    >veritas
    >>>device drivers.

    >>making

    >>no

    >>event

    >software

    >>will
    >>>2000

  9. Re: 2000 Srvr CRASHES on Backup Exec Installation / Dell Server

    Jerry,

    The solution is available on the Dell Support site. The 3Com Nic is your
    server is causing the problem. I thought it was the BackupExec as well,
    but Dell explains in this KB article:

    "Jerry Riggin" wrote:

    >My Dell PowerEdge 2500 did the same thing. When I tried to brin it back

    up
    >i got BSOD on daprotim.sys. I had to bring it up in safe mode and disable
    >all of the BackupExec services to get the server to boot. The uninstall
    >did not work either.
    >
    >You would think that since this has been going on for a year, Veritas would
    >fix this.
    >
    >Jerry Riggin jerry@riggin.net
    >

    >"Brandon Wires" wrote:
    >>
    >>I Installed the Software without a tape drive installed at all. Is this

    >close
    >>enough? I don't know if there will be any difference. Also since it seems
    >>to be working, I really don't want to mess with it unless I am going to

    >install
    >>a fix or a patch.
    >>
    >>"mike schulz" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Just something to try in coputer management disable the tape drive before
    >>>installing the software. If then you are able to load the software use

    >veritas
    >>>device drivers.

    >>making

    >>no