Compression results on DLT7000 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Compression results on DLT7000 - Veritas Backup Exec ; It is this more likely that compression result on a DLT7000 and using backup Exec v8 is POOR in most cases. For a 35/70Gb DLT drive, the best result I have is 41 Gb. Any one there has "sky rocket" ...

  1. Compression results on DLT7000

    It is this more likely that compression result on a DLT7000 and using backup
    Exec v8 is POOR in most cases. For a 35/70Gb DLT drive, the best result I
    have is 41 Gb.
    Any one there has "sky rocket" there compression ratio to get result close
    to 70 Gb. Let's be optimistic : close to 60 Gb !

  2. Re: Compression results on DLT7000

    Compression is totally dependant in the type of data being backed up.

    EXEs and DLLs tend to be not very compressible
    Database files (backed up through an agent) may or may not be.
    MP3 and compressed graphics files are hardly comressible at all.

    I've see over 9:1 compression on sparsely populated SQL databases

    I've also seen 1.1:1

    it all depends

    Thierry Lo wrote:

    > It is this more likely that compression result on a DLT7000 and using backup
    > Exec v8 is POOR in most cases. For a 35/70Gb DLT drive, the best result I
    > have is 41 Gb.
    > Any one there has "sky rocket" there compression ratio to get result close
    > to 70 Gb. Let's be optimistic : close to 60 Gb !

+ Reply to Thread