Remote agent same thing as accelerator agent? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote agent same thing as accelerator agent? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I am new to Backup Exec and have a number of questions. I'll keep my first one short. Is the remote agent for NT/2000 the same thing as the accelerator agent I am seeing people talking about? Thanks, Bill...

  1. Remote agent same thing as accelerator agent?

    Hello,
    I am new to Backup Exec and have a number of questions. I'll keep my
    first one short. Is the remote agent for NT/2000 the same thing as the
    accelerator agent I am seeing people talking about?

    Thanks,
    Bill

  2. Re: Remote agent same thing as accelerator agent?

    "Bill" wrote:
    >Hello,
    > I am new to Backup Exec and have a number of questions. I'll keep my
    >first one short. Is the remote agent for NT/2000 the same thing as the
    >accelerator agent I am seeing people talking about?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bill

    Hi, Bill:

    Welcome to Backup Exec! While the software may not be the easiest to set
    up, at first, once you have the setup the way you want it, it works quite
    well. My advice is simply be as patient as possible and really read the
    manuals and online documentation. These newsgroups are also quite helpful.

    As for the answer to your question, yes, the AGENT ACCELERATOR is the same
    as the REMOTE AGENT.

    Good luck!

    --Shane

  3. Re: Remote agent same thing as accelerator agent?

    Almost

    The "Accelerator Agent" was a V7.x agent that ran on remote machines and
    streamed data back to the BackupExec server by doing local opens and reads as
    opposed to network opens and reads

    The v8.x Remote Agent does this, but it is also a licensing enforcer. You
    must install a copy of the RA on each remote serverOS machine you want to
    backup. Without it, BENT will grey those servers out. NTW and W2K Pro
    machines don't require the agent, but would probably see enhanced throuhgput
    while using it.

    Bill wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am new to Backup Exec and have a number of questions. I'll keep my
    > first one short. Is the remote agent for NT/2000 the same thing as the
    > accelerator agent I am seeing people talking about?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill

+ Reply to Thread