Backup to disk? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup to disk? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi Folks - I'm new to the list, so please be gentle..... We have three main Windows NT servers running NT 4.0 SP6. One file server that is the primary domain server, one Exchange server, and one machine we call ...

  1. Backup to disk?

    Hi Folks - I'm new to the list, so please be gentle.....

    We have three main Windows NT servers running NT 4.0 SP6. One file server
    that is the primary domain server, one Exchange server, and one machine we
    call our "backup server". We wish to install Backup Exec on the backup server
    and then back up data from drives that are mapped on that machine to local
    hard drives on the same machine. Then, for DR, we will copy the backups
    to a Seagate tape drive and send them off site - or - backup the backups
    to tape.

    I noticed that, after I installed the evaluation version, that it only sees
    our tape drive as a valid backup device. Can it back up to local hard disks?
    Will it do what I described above and, if so, does it require that we purchase
    other options in order to make it do any of that?

    Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks!

  2. Re: Backup to disk?

    On 13 Mar 2001 13:41:55 -0500, "Scott Harder" wrote:

    >I noticed that, after I installed the evaluation version, that it only sees
    >our tape drive as a valid backup device. Can it back up to local hard disks?

    Not yet , hopefully in 8.6

  3. Re: Backup to disk?

    Flemming Riis wrote:
    >On 13 Mar 2001 13:41:55 -0500, "Scott Harder" wrote:
    >
    >>I noticed that, after I installed the evaluation version, that it only

    sees
    >>our tape drive as a valid backup device. Can it back up to local hard

    disks?

    >Not yet , hopefully in 8.6

    Thanks for the response. That is really a bummer for us. I also tried Back
    Again II, which did backup to disk, but they have a scheduler problem of
    some sort that we didn't get very good support on, so I came to Backup Exec.
    Oh well.... I'll keep searching.

    Thanks Again,
    Scott

  4. Re: Backup to disk?

    From what I read ....

    Rumour has it that the next version V8.6 will have the backup to disk feature.
    However this is just rumour and has not been confirmed (at least from what
    I've read).

    If it is included, it's about time. I'm sure this been the most requested
    feature for a long time.

    "Scott Harder" wrote:

    >Flemming Riis wrote:
    >>On 13 Mar 2001 13:41:55 -0500, "Scott Harder" wrote:
    >>
    >>>I noticed that, after I installed the evaluation version, that it only

    >sees
    >>>our tape drive as a valid backup device. Can it back up to local hard

    >disks?
    >>
    >>Not yet , hopefully in 8.6

    >Thanks for the response. That is really a bummer for us. I also tried

    Back
    >Again II, which did backup to disk, but they have a scheduler problem of
    >some sort that we didn't get very good support on, so I came to Backup Exec.
    > Oh well.... I'll keep searching.
    >
    >Thanks Again,
    >Scott

+ Reply to Thread