Relocating the Exchange server to a new location - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Relocating the Exchange server to a new location - Veritas Backup Exec ; This is a really big job for us in our company and I would really appreciate it if someone can give me a hand with it. Our company is moving to a new location and I would like to be ...

  1. Relocating the Exchange server to a new location

    This is a really big job for us in our company and I would really appreciate
    it if someone can give me a hand with it.

    Our company is moving to a new location and I would like to be able to move
    our Exchange server to the new site while still maintaining e-mail access at
    the old site until we are established at the new site.
    I was thinking of setting up a new Exchange server on another machine to
    move to the new site, starting it up there, and then bringing down the
    previous one. For those of you who have done this sort of thing before, is
    there a better or preferable method of doing this?

    Also, is there a preferable method of duplicating Exchange server (with the
    Directory Services, Information Store, and Mailboxes) on the new machine?

    I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me with this
    problem. Thank you.

    Jim K.

  2. Re: Relocating the Exchange server to a new location

    I forgot to mention that we running Exchange 5.5 with SP4, on Win NT 4.0
    with SP6a.
    For backup, we are using Backup Exec ver 8.5 with all the remote agents
    (Exchange, Open File option, etc..).

    Jim K.
    "Jim Kabbabe" wrote in message
    > This is a really big job for us in our company and I would really

    appreciate
    > it if someone can give me a hand with it.
    >
    > Our company is moving to a new location and I would like to be able to

    move
    > our Exchange server to the new site while still maintaining e-mail access

    at
    > the old site until we are established at the new site.
    > I was thinking of setting up a new Exchange server on another machine to
    > move to the new site, starting it up there, and then bringing down the
    > previous one. For those of you who have done this sort of thing before, is
    > there a better or preferable method of doing this?
    >
    > Also, is there a preferable method of duplicating Exchange server (with

    the
    > Directory Services, Information Store, and Mailboxes) on the new machine?
    >
    > I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me with this
    > problem. Thank you.
    >
    > Jim K.

  3. Re: Relocating the Exchange server to a new location

    you can restore the DS to a different machine because of the SID will be
    different. You can rebuild and new server, and then restore the IS from an
    online backup of the exciting one. You should also have a look into the
    migration utilities Exchange can offer you..
    > I forgot to mention that we running Exchange 5.5 with SP4, on Win NT 4.0
    > with SP6a.
    > For backup, we are using Backup Exec ver 8.5 with all the remote agents
    > (Exchange, Open File option, etc..).
    >
    > Jim K.
    > "Jim Kabbabe" wrote in message
    > > This is a really big job for us in our company and I would really

    > appreciate
    > > it if someone can give me a hand with it.
    > >
    > > Our company is moving to a new location and I would like to be able to

    > move
    > > our Exchange server to the new site while still maintaining e-mail

    access
    > at
    > > the old site until we are established at the new site.
    > > I was thinking of setting up a new Exchange server on another machine to
    > > move to the new site, starting it up there, and then bringing down the
    > > previous one. For those of you who have done this sort of thing before,

    is
    > > there a better or preferable method of doing this?
    > >
    > > Also, is there a preferable method of duplicating Exchange server (with

    > the
    > > Directory Services, Information Store, and Mailboxes) on the new

    machine?

    > > I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me with this
    > > problem. Thank you.
    > >
    > > Jim K.

  4. Re: Relocating the Exchange server to a new location

    Not correct. See the Admin Manual under Emergency Restore or Single Mailbox
    Restore to a standby server.

    See Charles Villa's rant against BLBs at http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm

    for some very valuable Exchange Resource Links. especially the first one

    Also look through the MS Knowledge Base for "Removing the first server in an
    Exchange Org"

    B Schultz wrote:

    > you can restore the DS to a different machine because of the SID will be
    > different. You can rebuild and new server, and then restore the IS from an
    > online backup of the exciting one. You should also have a look into the
    > migration utilities Exchange can offer you..
    > "Jim Kabbabe" wrote in message
    > > I forgot to mention that we running Exchange 5.5 with SP4, on Win NT 4.0
    > > with SP6a.
    > > For backup, we are using Backup Exec ver 8.5 with all the remote agents
    > > (Exchange, Open File option, etc..).
    > >
    > > Jim K.
    > > "Jim Kabbabe" wrote in message
    > > > This is a really big job for us in our company and I would really

    > > appreciate
    > > > it if someone can give me a hand with it.
    > > >
    > > > Our company is moving to a new location and I would like to be able to

    > > move
    > > > our Exchange server to the new site while still maintaining e-mail

    > access
    > > at
    > > > the old site until we are established at the new site.
    > > > I was thinking of setting up a new Exchange server on another machine to
    > > > move to the new site, starting it up there, and then bringing down the
    > > > previous one. For those of you who have done this sort of thing before,

    > is
    > > > there a better or preferable method of doing this?
    > > >
    > > > Also, is there a preferable method of duplicating Exchange server (with

    > > the
    > > > Directory Services, Information Store, and Mailboxes) on the new

    > machine?
    > > >
    > > > I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me with this
    > > > problem. Thank you.
    > > >
    > > > Jim K.

+ Reply to Thread