BENT 8.5 problems - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENT 8.5 problems - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi! I'm using BENT 8.5 (built 3571) in the following evironment: 2 servers with w2k, one is backup server, second one has remote agent installed and running. 2 servers with WinNT4, no remote agents. Backup drive, which is HP Superstore ...

  1. BENT 8.5 problems

    Hi!

    I'm using BENT 8.5 (built 3571) in the following evironment:
    2 servers with w2k, one is backup server, second one has remote agent
    installed and running.
    2 servers with WinNT4, no remote agents.
    Backup drive, which is HP Superstore DLT 80 is attached to w2k backup
    server.
    This device is OK and "working properly" according to Device manager.

    I have 2 problems:

    1. Then I trying to perform backup of w2k server with remote agent I get a
    warning message saying that agent is not found and BENT will perform
    standard backup.

    2. Then I performing backup on of any remote machine, it fails.
    Here is the end of a log file that I got then my backup:

    Storage device "QUANTUM 1" reported an error on a request to read data from
    media.

    Error reported:
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Verify completed on 2001-03-10 at 00:25:03 .
    Verified 180 files in 26 directories.
    0 files were different.
    Processed 314 138 820 bytes in 2 minutes and 7 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 141,5 MB/min

    Job ended: den 10 mars 2001 at 00:28:19
    Job completion status: Failed

    To solve this issues I tried to:

    1. test connectivity using Telnet on port 6103 as described on Veritas
    support page - tests went OK.

    2. add NetBIOS names in LMHOSTS file, as described on Veritas support page.

    3. Installed the MediaFix patch for Built 3571 which I downloaded.

    Nothing helped! I still getting the same messages.

    I have some suggestions, but I not shure if it's relevant.

    1. Should the port 6103 be opened on BOTH Backup server and remote agent
    server?

    2. Since I have TCP/IP only installed on both computers, should I install
    NetBEUI as well?

    Could someone provide an assistance? Ken?

    TIA

    Vlad

  2. Re: BENT 8.5 problems

    Try the following:
    resetting the drive.
    Different Tape in drive
    Erase the current tape and try again.

    Troy LaClair
    "Vladislav Bondarev" wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm using BENT 8.5 (built 3571) in the following evironment:
    > 2 servers with w2k, one is backup server, second one has remote agent
    > installed and running.
    > 2 servers with WinNT4, no remote agents.
    > Backup drive, which is HP Superstore DLT 80 is attached to w2k backup
    > server.
    > This device is OK and "working properly" according to Device manager.
    >
    > I have 2 problems:
    >
    > 1. Then I trying to perform backup of w2k server with remote agent I get

    > warning message saying that agent is not found and BENT will perform
    > standard backup.
    >
    > 2. Then I performing backup on of any remote machine, it fails.
    > Here is the end of a log file that I got then my backup:
    >
    > Storage device "QUANTUM 1" reported an error on a request to read data

    from
    > media.
    >
    > Error reported:
    > The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >

    > Verify completed on 2001-03-10 at 00:25:03 .
    > Verified 180 files in 26 directories.
    > 0 files were different.
    > Processed 314 138 820 bytes in 2 minutes and 7 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 141,5 MB/min
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job ended: den 10 mars 2001 at 00:28:19
    > Job completion status: Failed
    >

    > To solve this issues I tried to:
    >
    > 1. test connectivity using Telnet on port 6103 as described on Veritas
    > support page - tests went OK.
    >
    > 2. add NetBIOS names in LMHOSTS file, as described on Veritas support

    page.

    > 3. Installed the MediaFix patch for Built 3571 which I downloaded.
    >
    > Nothing helped! I still getting the same messages.
    >

    > I have some suggestions, but I not shure if it's relevant.
    >
    > 1. Should the port 6103 be opened on BOTH Backup server and remote

    agent
    > server?
    >
    > 2. Since I have TCP/IP only installed on both computers, should I install
    > NetBEUI as well?
    >

    > Could someone provide an assistance? Ken?
    >

    > TIA
    >

    > Vlad

  3. Re: BENT 8.5 problems

    For the Agent not Found problem
    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190717.htm
    and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234471.htm

    For the "No more data on tape"
    either grab the Media_fix file from the downloads page or upgrade to
    Build 3572 which incorporates the patch
    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm

    Vladislav Bondarev wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm using BENT 8.5 (built 3571) in the following evironment:
    > 2 servers with w2k, one is backup server, second one has remote agent
    > installed and running.
    > 2 servers with WinNT4, no remote agents.
    > Backup drive, which is HP Superstore DLT 80 is attached to w2k backup
    > server.
    > This device is OK and "working properly" according to Device manager.
    >
    > I have 2 problems:
    >
    > 1. Then I trying to perform backup of w2k server with remote agent I get a
    > warning message saying that agent is not found and BENT will perform
    > standard backup.
    >
    > 2. Then I performing backup on of any remote machine, it fails.
    > Here is the end of a log file that I got then my backup:
    >
    > Storage device "QUANTUM 1" reported an error on a request to read data from
    > media.
    >
    > Error reported:
    > The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > Verify completed on 2001-03-10 at 00:25:03 .
    > Verified 180 files in 26 directories.
    > 0 files were different.
    > Processed 314 138 820 bytes in 2 minutes and 7 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 141,5 MB/min
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job ended: den 10 mars 2001 at 00:28:19
    > Job completion status: Failed
    >
    > To solve this issues I tried to:
    >
    > 1. test connectivity using Telnet on port 6103 as described on Veritas
    > support page - tests went OK.
    >
    > 2. add NetBIOS names in LMHOSTS file, as described on Veritas support page.
    >
    > 3. Installed the MediaFix patch for Built 3571 which I downloaded.
    >
    > Nothing helped! I still getting the same messages.
    >
    > I have some suggestions, but I not shure if it's relevant.
    >
    > 1. Should the port 6103 be opened on BOTH Backup server and remote agent
    > server?
    >
    > 2. Since I have TCP/IP only installed on both computers, should I install
    > NetBEUI as well?
    >
    > Could someone provide an assistance? Ken?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Vlad

  4. Re: BENT 8.5 problems

    Hi Ken!

    Have you read my message?

    I'v done all this already, it doesn't help, my question was what more can I
    do?

    V.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > For the Agent not Found problem
    > see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190717.htm
    > and http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234471.htm
    >
    > For the "No more data on tape"
    > either grab the Media_fix file from the downloads page or upgrade to
    > Build 3572 which incorporates the patch
    > see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/233735.htm
    >
    > Vladislav Bondarev wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I'm using BENT 8.5 (built 3571) in the following evironment:
    > > 2 servers with w2k, one is backup server, second one has remote agent
    > > installed and running.
    > > 2 servers with WinNT4, no remote agents.
    > > Backup drive, which is HP Superstore DLT 80 is attached to w2k backup
    > > server.
    > > This device is OK and "working properly" according to Device manager.
    > >
    > > I have 2 problems:
    > >
    > > 1. Then I trying to perform backup of w2k server with remote agent I

    get a
    > > warning message saying that agent is not found and BENT will perform
    > > standard backup.
    > >
    > > 2. Then I performing backup on of any remote machine, it fails.
    > > Here is the end of a log file that I got then my backup:
    > >
    > > Storage device "QUANTUM 1" reported an error on a request to read data

    from
    > > media.
    > >
    > > Error reported:
    > > The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    > >
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >
    > > Verify completed on 2001-03-10 at 00:25:03 .
    > > Verified 180 files in 26 directories.
    > > 0 files were different.
    > > Processed 314 138 820 bytes in 2 minutes and 7 seconds.
    > > Throughput rate: 141,5 MB/min
    > >
    > > ================================================== ====================
    > > Job ended: den 10 mars 2001 at 00:28:19
    > > Job completion status: Failed
    > >
    > > To solve this issues I tried to:
    > >
    > > 1. test connectivity using Telnet on port 6103 as described on Veritas
    > > support page - tests went OK.
    > >
    > > 2. add NetBIOS names in LMHOSTS file, as described on Veritas support

    page.

    > > 3. Installed the MediaFix patch for Built 3571 which I downloaded.
    > >
    > > Nothing helped! I still getting the same messages.
    > >
    > > I have some suggestions, but I not shure if it's relevant.
    > >
    > > 1. Should the port 6103 be opened on BOTH Backup server and remote

    agent
    > > server?
    > >
    > > 2. Since I have TCP/IP only installed on both computers, should I

    install
    > > NetBEUI as well?
    > >
    > > Could someone provide an assistance? Ken?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Vlad

  5. Re: BENT 8.5 problems

    I tryed that already. Doesn't help!

    V.
    "Troy LaClair" wrote in message
    > Try the following:
    > resetting the drive.
    > Different Tape in drive
    > Erase the current tape and try again.
    >
    > Troy LaClair
    > "Vladislav Bondarev" wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I'm using BENT 8.5 (built 3571) in the following evironment:
    > > 2 servers with w2k, one is backup server, second one has remote agent
    > > installed and running.
    > > 2 servers with WinNT4, no remote agents.
    > > Backup drive, which is HP Superstore DLT 80 is attached to w2k backup
    > > server.
    > > This device is OK and "working properly" according to Device manager.
    > >
    > > I have 2 problems:
    > >
    > > 1. Then I trying to perform backup of w2k server with remote agent I

    get
    > > warning message saying that agent is not found and BENT will perform
    > > standard backup.
    > >
    > > 2. Then I performing backup on of any remote machine, it fails.
    > > Here is the end of a log file that I got then my backup:
    > >
    > > Storage device "QUANTUM 1" reported an error on a request to read data

    > from
    > > media.
    > >
    > > Error reported:
    > > The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    > >
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >

    > > Verify completed on 2001-03-10 at 00:25:03 .
    > > Verified 180 files in 26 directories.
    > > 0 files were different.
    > > Processed 314 138 820 bytes in 2 minutes and 7 seconds.
    > > Throughput rate: 141,5 MB/min
    > >
    > > ================================================== ====================
    > > Job ended: den 10 mars 2001 at 00:28:19
    > > Job completion status: Failed
    > >

    > > To solve this issues I tried to:
    > >
    > > 1. test connectivity using Telnet on port 6103 as described on Veritas
    > > support page - tests went OK.
    > >
    > > 2. add NetBIOS names in LMHOSTS file, as described on Veritas support

    > page.
    > >
    > > 3. Installed the MediaFix patch for Built 3571 which I downloaded.
    > >
    > > Nothing helped! I still getting the same messages.
    > >

    > > I have some suggestions, but I not shure if it's relevant.
    > >
    > > 1. Should the port 6103 be opened on BOTH Backup server and remote

    > agent
    > > server?
    > >
    > > 2. Since I have TCP/IP only installed on both computers, should I

    install
    > > NetBEUI as well?
    > >

    > > Could someone provide an assistance? Ken?
    > >

    > > TIA
    > >

    > > Vlad

+ Reply to Thread