Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a BENT 8.5 (Build 3571) with remote agents and Exchange Agent V8.5. This server backs up a remote Exchange 2000 server. The backup of the \\WLG01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group completes successfully. However, the job always tries to ...

  1. Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store

    I have a BENT 8.5 (Build 3571) with remote agents and Exchange Agent V8.5.
    This server backs up a remote Exchange 2000 server. The backup of the \\WLG01\Microsoft
    Information Store\First Storage Group completes successfully. However, the
    job always tries to attach to "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Directory" and
    "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and fails.

    Please note the difference here. Veritas seems to call an Exchange 5.5 IS
    as "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and an Exchange 2000 IS as "Microsoft
    Information Store".

    So the problem seems to be that the BENT8.5 backups the 2000 IS correctly
    and then tries to find another 5.5 IS on the same E2K server. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store

    "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Directory" refers to a 5.x Exchange Data Store
    "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store" refers to a 5.x Exchange Information Store.

    Did you upgrade to 8.5 via the download on the downloads page from v8.0? If so you need to
    purchase the v8.5 Exchange agent to properly support Exchange2000

    "Prince V. Jeevaraj" wrote:

    > I have a BENT 8.5 (Build 3571) with remote agents and Exchange Agent V8.5.
    > This server backs up a remote Exchange 2000 server. The backup of the \\WLG01\Microsoft
    > Information Store\First Storage Group completes successfully. However, the
    > job always tries to attach to "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Directory" and
    > "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and fails.
    >
    > Please note the difference here. Veritas seems to call an Exchange 5.5 IS
    > as "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and an Exchange 2000 IS as "Microsoft
    > Information Store".
    >
    > So the problem seems to be that the BENT8.5 backups the 2000 IS correctly
    > and then tries to find another 5.5 IS on the same E2K server. Any ideas?

  3. Re: Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store

    No, We had V8.0 before and had purchased an Exchange Agent 8.5 upgrade. What
    puzzles me is that the backup of the Exchange 2000 server itself seems to
    be OK as it backs up the MS Info Store\First Storage Group, SRS etc. But,
    it goes on to look for the other two which obviously do not exist. The following
    is taken from the log,
    Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
    The device cannot be found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
    The device cannot be found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 10/03/01 02:00:06 AM"
    Backup of "\\WLG01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "
    Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "ExchFriday03"
    Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    Backup started on 10/03/01 at 3:02:41 AM.
    Log files

    Backup completed on 10/03/01 at 3:11:15 AM.
    Backed up 2 Exchange Server store(s)
    Backed up Exchange Server logs
    Processed 2,466,431,644 bytes in 8 minutes and 34 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 274.6 MB/min
    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 10/03/01 02:00:06 AM"
    Backup of "\\WLG01\Microsoft Site Replication Service\SRS Storage "
    Backup set #4 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "ExchFriday03"
    Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    Backup started on 10/03/01 at 3:11:15 AM.
    Log files

    Backup completed on 10/03/01 at 3:11:21 AM.
    Backed up 1 Exchange Server store(s)
    Backed up Exchange Server logs
    Processed 13,648,120 bytes in 6 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 130.2 MB/min
    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >"\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Directory" refers to a 5.x Exchange Data Store
    >"\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store" refers to a 5.x Exchange

    Information
    >Store.
    >
    >Did you upgrade to 8.5 via the download on the downloads page from v8.0?

    If so you
    >need to
    >purchase the v8.5 Exchange agent to properly support Exchange2000
    >
    >"Prince V. Jeevaraj" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a BENT 8.5 (Build 3571) with remote agents and Exchange Agent V8.5.
    >> This server backs up a remote Exchange 2000 server. The backup of the

    \\WLG01\Microsoft
    >> Information Store\First Storage Group completes successfully. However,

    the
    >> job always tries to attach to "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Directory" and
    >> "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and fails.
    >>
    >> Please note the difference here. Veritas seems to call an Exchange 5.5

    IS
    >> as "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and an Exchange 2000 IS as "Microsoft
    >> Information Store".
    >>
    >> So the problem seems to be that the BENT8.5 backups the 2000 IS correctly
    >> and then tries to find another 5.5 IS on the same E2K server. Any ideas?

  4. Re: Unable to attach to \\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store

    Prince
    rename the bewinui.uni which you find in the Data folder in the BE
    directory. Close and open the GIU, you now have to redo ALL attachment info.
    Also recreate the Exchange backup job.
    "Prince V. Jeevaraj" wrote in message

> [...]

    V8.5.
    > >> This server backs up a remote Exchange 2000 server. The backup of the

    > \\WLG01\Microsoft
    > >> Information Store\First Storage Group completes successfully. However,

    > the
    > >> job always tries to attach to "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Directory"

    and
    > >> "\\WLG01\Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and fails.
    > >>
    > >> Please note the difference here. Veritas seems to call an Exchange 5.5

    > IS
    > >> as "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" and an Exchange 2000 IS as

    "Microsoft
    > >> Information Store".
    > >>
    > >> So the problem seems to be that the BENT8.5 backups the 2000 IS

    correctly
    > >> and then tries to find another 5.5 IS on the same E2K server. Any

+ Reply to Thread