Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK - Veritas Backup Exec ; You know, this has got me laughing. It's amazing how, when I have what seems like a simple problem, I think of going to Veritas' support site. Hmmm...search for help on the backup agents not working. WOW no finds! They ...

  1. Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    You know, this has got me laughing. It's amazing how, when I have what seems
    like a simple problem, I think of going to Veritas' support site. Hmmm...search
    for help on the backup agents not working. WOW no finds! They must be flawless!
    Search the message boards...hundreds upon hundreds of people complaining
    about the remote agents not working. Imagine that. So here I am, reading
    through them all...and no answers to be found. It seems like a lot of the
    posts people place on here are read but never answered.

    I've personally tried installing BENT 8.5 on two different W2K Servers.
    Installed the backup agents on six servers and a few workstations. Do any
    of them work? Of course not. Any answers? Of course not, the agents are
    flawless, right? Hmmm...

    In all honesty, I don't expect anyone to really care about this post (especially
    Veritas support). It's just a method for me to vent some frustration at
    a poorly designed product backed by a faulty support structure.

  2. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    "Kyle" wrote:

    >You know, this has got me laughing. It's amazing how, when I have what

    seems
    >like a simple problem, I think of going to Veritas' support site. Hmmm...search
    >for help on the backup agents not working. WOW no finds! They must be

    flawless!
    > Search the message boards...hundreds upon hundreds of people complaining
    >about the remote agents not working. Imagine that. So here I am, reading
    >through them all...and no answers to be found. It seems like a lot of the
    >posts people place on here are read but never answered.
    >
    >I've personally tried installing BENT 8.5 on two different W2K Servers.

    >Installed the backup agents on six servers and a few workstations. Do any
    >of them work? Of course not. Any answers? Of course not, the agents are
    >flawless, right? Hmmm...
    >
    >In all honesty, I don't expect anyone to really care about this post (especially
    >Veritas support). It's just a method for me to vent some frustration at
    >a poorly designed product backed by a faulty support structure.

    Yes, the software and the company and therefore the users have problems.

    Could you please describe the situation in a little more detail.
    Does the remote install work? If it does then is the problem
    with seeing the remote servers at all or is it that BE cannot attach
    to the shares. Are you talking about NT/2000 boxes or are Unix
    and Novell involved. Then there are the SQL and exchange options.
    I have been able to get agents to work for version 8.5
    (most of the time). If you reply maybe we can make progress
    and shed some light on this.

  3. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    Doug -

    Maybe I shouldn't glom on to this thread, but I'm just about to post what
    seems to be the same problem.

    I've installed Backup Exec 8.5 (3571) Server Edition on one Win2K server.
    I've installed the Remote Agent on several other Win2K servers, and I've
    also installed the Open File Option on one of them. I intend to put OFO on
    all, but I want to get it working on one first. I've also got the SQL Agent
    and Exchange Agent but I'm not worrying about those yet.

    Backup Exec refuses to display anything on any of the remote servers. When
    I try to expand them in the tree view there's NOTHING there for any of them.

    Backup Exec can see shares and SQL Server running on Win2K workstations in
    the network. There's nothing visible on the Win2K servers. As far as I can
    tell, Backup Exec is acting as it would if the Remote Agent were not
    installed on any of the servers. But it is installed.

    I can't see a darn thing on the network and I'm as frustrated as anyone else
    about my inability to find useful information from Veritas. Any pointers or
    insights (or even explicit step-by-step instructions ) would be
    appreciated.

    - Ed

    Ed McNierney
    ed@topozone.com
    TopoZone.com

  4. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    first two things to look at are

    Ed McNierney wrote:

    > Doug -
    >
    > Maybe I shouldn't glom on to this thread, but I'm just about to post what
    > seems to be the same problem.
    >
    > I've installed Backup Exec 8.5 (3571) Server Edition on one Win2K server.
    > I've installed the Remote Agent on several other Win2K servers, and I've
    > also installed the Open File Option on one of them. I intend to put OFO on
    > all, but I want to get it working on one first. I've also got the SQL Agent
    > and Exchange Agent but I'm not worrying about those yet.
    >
    > Backup Exec refuses to display anything on any of the remote servers. When
    > I try to expand them in the tree view there's NOTHING there for any of them.
    >
    > Backup Exec can see shares and SQL Server running on Win2K workstations in
    > the network. There's nothing visible on the Win2K servers. As far as I can
    > tell, Backup Exec is acting as it would if the Remote Agent were not
    > installed on any of the servers. But it is installed.
    >
    > I can't see a darn thing on the network and I'm as frustrated as anyone else
    > about my inability to find useful information from Veritas. Any pointers or
    > insights (or even explicit step-by-step instructions ) would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > - Ed
    >
    > Ed McNierney
    > ed@topozone.com
    > TopoZone.com

  5. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    Dear Ed
    You can't backup other servers with server edition, you must have advanced
    edition.

    TSN

    "Ed McNierney" wrote:
    >Doug -
    >
    >Maybe I shouldn't glom on to this thread, but I'm just about to post what
    >seems to be the same problem.
    >
    >I've installed Backup Exec 8.5 (3571) Server Edition on one Win2K server.
    >I've installed the Remote Agent on several other Win2K servers, and I've
    >also installed the Open File Option on one of them. I intend to put OFO

    on
    >all, but I want to get it working on one first. I've also got the SQL Agent
    >and Exchange Agent but I'm not worrying about those yet.
    >
    >Backup Exec refuses to display anything on any of the remote servers. When
    >I try to expand them in the tree view there's NOTHING there for any of them.
    >
    >Backup Exec can see shares and SQL Server running on Win2K workstations

    in
    >the network. There's nothing visible on the Win2K servers. As far as I

    can
    >tell, Backup Exec is acting as it would if the Remote Agent were not
    >installed on any of the servers. But it is installed.
    >
    >I can't see a darn thing on the network and I'm as frustrated as anyone

    else
    >about my inability to find useful information from Veritas. Any pointers

    or
    >insights (or even explicit step-by-step instructions ) would be
    >appreciated.
    >
    > - Ed
    >
    >Ed McNierney
    >ed@topozone.com
    >TopoZone.com

  6. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    Wrong Answer -

    Either Server or AS version will backup remote servers, you just need a copy of
    the Remote Agent running on the remote server

    The difference between Server version and AS is that server won't run on an AS
    machine, but AS will run on either Server or AS machines

    Thomas wrote:

    > Dear Ed
    > You can't backup other servers with server edition, you must have advanced
    > edition.
    >
    > TSN
    >
    > "Ed McNierney" wrote:
    > >Doug -
    > >
    > >Maybe I shouldn't glom on to this thread, but I'm just about to post what
    > >seems to be the same problem.
    > >
    > >I've installed Backup Exec 8.5 (3571) Server Edition on one Win2K server.
    > >I've installed the Remote Agent on several other Win2K servers, and I've
    > >also installed the Open File Option on one of them. I intend to put OFO

    > on
    > >all, but I want to get it working on one first. I've also got the SQL Agent
    > >and Exchange Agent but I'm not worrying about those yet.
    > >
    > >Backup Exec refuses to display anything on any of the remote servers. When
    > >I try to expand them in the tree view there's NOTHING there for any of them.
    > >
    > >Backup Exec can see shares and SQL Server running on Win2K workstations

    > in
    > >the network. There's nothing visible on the Win2K servers. As far as I

    > can
    > >tell, Backup Exec is acting as it would if the Remote Agent were not
    > >installed on any of the servers. But it is installed.
    > >
    > >I can't see a darn thing on the network and I'm as frustrated as anyone

    > else
    > >about my inability to find useful information from Veritas. Any pointers

    > or
    > >insights (or even explicit step-by-step instructions ) would be
    > >appreciated.
    > >
    > > - Ed
    > >
    > >Ed McNierney
    > >ed@topozone.com
    > >TopoZone.com

  7. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    Wrong Answer Again

    Its true I don't nedd Advanced Server to backup another server (sorry for
    that) and I don't need Remote Agent running on the other server either, but
    I need a remote license key for backing up another server. Remote Agent running
    on remote server is needed for W2k system state, Exchange etc but not for
    default share.

    tsn

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Wrong Answer -
    >
    >Either Server or AS version will backup remote servers, you just need a

    copy of
    >the Remote Agent running on the remote server
    >
    >The difference between Server version and AS is that server won't run on

    an AS
    >machine, but AS will run on either Server or AS machines
    >
    >Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Ed
    >> You can't backup other servers with server edition, you must have advanced
    >> edition.
    >>
    >> TSN
    >>
    >> "Ed McNierney" wrote:
    >> >Doug -
    >> >
    >> >Maybe I shouldn't glom on to this thread, but I'm just about to post

    what
    >> >seems to be the same problem.
    >> >
    >> >I've installed Backup Exec 8.5 (3571) Server Edition on one Win2K server.
    >> >I've installed the Remote Agent on several other Win2K servers, and I've
    >> >also installed the Open File Option on one of them. I intend to put

    OFO
    >> on
    >> >all, but I want to get it working on one first. I've also got the SQL

    Agent
    >> >and Exchange Agent but I'm not worrying about those yet.
    >> >
    >> >Backup Exec refuses to display anything on any of the remote servers.

    When
    >> >I try to expand them in the tree view there's NOTHING there for any of

    them.

    >> >Backup Exec can see shares and SQL Server running on Win2K workstations

    >> in
    >> >the network. There's nothing visible on the Win2K servers. As far as

    >> can
    >> >tell, Backup Exec is acting as it would if the Remote Agent were not
    >> >installed on any of the servers. But it is installed.
    >> >
    >> >I can't see a darn thing on the network and I'm as frustrated as anyone

    >> else
    >> >about my inability to find useful information from Veritas. Any pointers

    >> or
    >> >insights (or even explicit step-by-step instructions ) would be
    >> >appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > - Ed
    >> >
    >> >Ed McNierney
    >> >ed@topozone.com
    >> >TopoZone.com

  8. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    In that case, you've found a loophole in Veritas' code. Congratulations!!

    But the licensing policy is VERY clear.

    To backup any remote serverOS machine in any way, legally, you must purchase and
    install a copy of the Remote Agent for each remote server. Remote workstation and
    W2K Pro machines do not require the Remote Agent.

    Thomas wrote:

    > Wrong Answer Again
    >
    > Its true I don't nedd Advanced Server to backup another server (sorry for
    > that) and I don't need Remote Agent running on the other server either, but
    > I need a remote license key for backing up another server. Remote Agent running
    > on remote server is needed for W2k system state, Exchange etc but not for
    > default share.
    >
    > tsn
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Wrong Answer -
    > >
    > >Either Server or AS version will backup remote servers, you just need a

    > copy of
    > >the Remote Agent running on the remote server
    > >
    > >The difference between Server version and AS is that server won't run on

    > an AS
    > >machine, but AS will run on either Server or AS machines
    > >
    > >Thomas wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dear Ed
    > >> You can't backup other servers with server edition, you must have advanced
    > >> edition.
    > >>
    > >> TSN

    > what

    > OFO
    > >> on

    > Agent

    > When

    > them.

    > >> in

    > >> can

    > >> else
    > >> or

  9. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    It's maby a "feature" after uppgrading from multi-server 7.3 to 8.0/8.5?

    Tsn

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >In that case, you've found a loophole in Veritas' code. Congratulations!!
    >
    >But the licensing policy is VERY clear.
    >
    >To backup any remote serverOS machine in any way, legally, you must purchase

    and
    >install a copy of the Remote Agent for each remote server. Remote workstation

    and
    >W2K Pro machines do not require the Remote Agent.
    >
    >Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> Wrong Answer Again
    >>
    >> Its true I don't nedd Advanced Server to backup another server (sorry

    for
    >> that) and I don't need Remote Agent running on the other server either,

    but
    >> I need a remote license key for backing up another server. Remote Agent

    running
    >> on remote server is needed for W2k system state, Exchange etc but not

    for
    >> default share.
    >>
    >> tsn
    >>
    >> Ken Putnam wrote:
    >> >Wrong Answer -
    >> >
    >> >Either Server or AS version will backup remote servers, you just need

    >> copy of
    >> >the Remote Agent running on the remote server
    >> >
    >> >The difference between Server version and AS is that server won't run

    on
    >> an AS
    >> >machine, but AS will run on either Server or AS machines

    >> what

    server.

    I've

    >> OFO

    SQL
    >> Agent

    >> When

    of
    >> them.

    as

  10. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    The v7.x -> v8.x "Family Upgrade" would give you up to three SQL licenses, three
    Exchange Licenses and three Remote Agent Licenses.

    Thomas wrote:

    > It's maby a "feature" after uppgrading from multi-server 7.3 to 8.0/8.5?
    >
    > Tsn
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >In that case, you've found a loophole in Veritas' code. Congratulations!!
    > >
    > >But the licensing policy is VERY clear.
    > >
    > >To backup any remote serverOS machine in any way, legally, you must purchase

    > and
    > >install a copy of the Remote Agent for each remote server. Remote workstation

    > and
    > >W2K Pro machines do not require the Remote Agent.
    > >
    > >Thomas wrote:
    > >
    > >> Wrong Answer Again
    > >>
    > >> Its true I don't nedd Advanced Server to backup another server (sorry

    > for
    > >> that) and I don't need Remote Agent running on the other server either,

    > but
    > >> I need a remote license key for backing up another server. Remote Agent

    > running
    > >> on remote server is needed for W2k system state, Exchange etc but not

    > for
    > >> default share.
    > >>
    > >> tsn

    > >> copy of

    > on
    > >> an AS

    > >> what

    > server.

    > I've
    > >> OFO

    > SQL
    > >> Agent

    > >> When

    > of
    > >> them.

    > as

  11. Re: Backup Exec 8.5 Remote Agents for NT/2000 **DO NOT WORK

    Well, let me join you also! I have been trying to solve Veritas backup problems
    of all sorts for 9 months now. Worked with Dell, try something, it will work
    for a day or 2, then another error message. We've gone the gammit from Device
    I/O errors, CRC errors, now Remote Agent. I hate this program and Veritas
    support stinks!!! I'm downloading Arcserve to try, someone told me they've
    had good luck with it and W2K servers.

    "Kyle" wrote:

    >You know, this has got me laughing. It's amazing how, when I have what

    seems
    >like a simple problem, I think of going to Veritas' support site. Hmmm...search
    >for help on the backup agents not working. WOW no finds! They must be

    flawless!
    > Search the message boards...hundreds upon hundreds of people complaining
    >about the remote agents not working. Imagine that. So here I am, reading
    >through them all...and no answers to be found. It seems like a lot of the
    >posts people place on here are read but never answered.
    >
    >I've personally tried installing BENT 8.5 on two different W2K Servers.

    >Installed the backup agents on six servers and a few workstations. Do any
    >of them work? Of course not. Any answers? Of course not, the agents are
    >flawless, right? Hmmm...
    >
    >In all honesty, I don't expect anyone to really care about this post (especially
    >Veritas support). It's just a method for me to vent some frustration at
    >a poorly designed product backed by a faulty support structure.

+ Reply to Thread