Trying to restore SQL database ... Connection to restore target error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Trying to restore SQL database ... Connection to restore target error - Veritas Backup Exec ; After it copies 4,507 bytes, I get this error while trying to restore a database to SQL: "Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted." I really need to get this backup asap. Any help would be greatly ...

  1. Trying to restore SQL database ... Connection to restore target error

    After it copies 4,507 bytes, I get this error while trying to restore a database
    to SQL:

    "Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted."

    I really need to get this backup asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you

  2. Re: Details

    I forgot to mention I am using Backup Exec Version 8.0 Rev. 3311 and SQL
    7.00.694.

    Thanks
    "Fred Bloogs" wrote:

    >After it copies 4,507 bytes, I get this error while trying to restore a

    database
    >to SQL:
    >
    >"Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted."
    >
    >I really need to get this backup asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you

  3. UPDATE..but still the same error

    I changed the default setting of VDI to use Named Pipes (through rededt32).
    It copies 258,162 bytes now instead of 4,507 and gives me the same error.
    (The database is over 4 gigs)

    Also does anyone out there know how to speed up the ABORT process takes like
    20 minutes to full abort!

    "Fred Bloogs" wrote:

    >After it copies 4,507 bytes, I get this error while trying to restore a

    database
    >to SQL:
    >
    >"Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted."
    >
    >I really need to get this backup asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you

  4. Re: UPDATE..but still the same error

    Stop/Start the BENT Services

    Are you by anychance re-directing the Restore to a different server?
    Are there any relavant Event Log entries or SQL log entries

    Fred Bloggs wrote:

    > I changed the default setting of VDI to use Named Pipes (through rededt32).
    > It copies 258,162 bytes now instead of 4,507 and gives me the same error.
    > (The database is over 4 gigs)
    >
    > Also does anyone out there know how to speed up the ABORT process takes like
    > 20 minutes to full abort!
    >
    > "Fred Bloogs" wrote:
    > >
    > >After it copies 4,507 bytes, I get this error while trying to restore a

    > database
    > >to SQL:
    > >
    > >"Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted."
    > >
    > >I really need to get this backup asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > >Thank you

  5. Re: UPDATE..but still the same error

    Thanks for the start and stop service trick it seems to do the trick!

    I am trying to restore where it normally is. I have also tried redirecting
    it, but same problem.

    here are some of the even viewer log entries for Backup Exec/SQL:

    I think this one came when I was trying to restore through SQL
    18204 :
    BackupDiskFile::OpenMedia: Backup device 'BackupExecSqlAgent_IMIS_00' failed
    to open. Operating system error = 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

    From Backup Exec:
    Job "Restore 0034" ended in an error state. Examine recent event log entries
    and the Job History for details.

    Job server: DATABASE-SRV
    Job name: Restore 0034
    Job started: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 at 1:42:43 PM
    Job type: Restore
    Log file: BEX82.txt

    Drive and media information from media mount:
    Changer Name:
    Drive Name: SONY 1
    Media Slot: 0
    Media Cartridge Label: 8MM000005

    Job Operation - Restore
    Restoring data to DATABASE-SRV .

    Storage Media #1: " Media created 03/05/2001 11:00:04 PM "
    Backup performed on 3/6/2001 at 12:51 AM
    Backup set #5: " Backup 0002 "
    Restore started on 3/7/2001 at 1:44:20 PM.
    Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    The media operation was terminated by the user.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Restore completed on 3/7/2001 at 1:51:06 PM.

    Processed 4,704 bytes in 5 minutes and 44 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 0.0 MB/min

    Job ended: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 at 1:51:06 PM
    Job completion status: Failed

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Stop/Start the BENT Services
    >
    >Are you by anychance re-directing the Restore to a different server?
    >Are there any relavant Event Log entries or SQL log entries
    >
    >Fred Bloggs wrote:
    >
    >> I changed the default setting of VDI to use Named Pipes (through rededt32).
    >> It copies 258,162 bytes now instead of 4,507 and gives me the same error.
    >> (The database is over 4 gigs)
    >>
    >> Also does anyone out there know how to speed up the ABORT process takes

    like
    >> 20 minutes to full abort!
    >>
    >> "Fred Bloogs" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >After it copies 4,507 bytes, I get this error while trying to restore

    >> database
    >> >to SQL:
    >> >
    >> >"Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted."
    >> >
    >> >I really need to get this backup asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> >Thank you

  6. Re: UPDATE..but still the same error

    Couldn't find an exact hit on the MS knowledge base, but similar errors seem to ppoint
    to file system rights.

    Does the backupexec Service account ID have write/create rights in the directory you
    are trying to restore the SQL files to?

    Fred Bloggs wrote:

    > Thanks for the start and stop service trick it seems to do the trick!
    >
    > I am trying to restore where it normally is. I have also tried redirecting
    > it, but same problem.
    >
    > here are some of the even viewer log entries for Backup Exec/SQL:
    >
    > I think this one came when I was trying to restore through SQL
    > 18204 :
    > BackupDiskFile::OpenMedia: Backup device 'BackupExecSqlAgent_IMIS_00' failed
    > to open. Operating system error = 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).
    >
    > From Backup Exec:
    > Job "Restore 0034" ended in an error state. Examine recent event log entries
    > and the Job History for details.
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job server: DATABASE-SRV
    > Job name: Restore 0034
    > Job started: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 at 1:42:43 PM
    > Job type: Restore
    > Log file: BEX82.txt
    > ================================================== ====================
    >
    > Drive and media information from media mount:
    > Changer Name:
    > Drive Name: SONY 1
    > Media Slot: 0
    > Media Cartridge Label: 8MM000005
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job Operation - Restore
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Restoring data to DATABASE-SRV .
    >
    > Storage Media #1: " Media created 03/05/2001 11:00:04 PM "
    > Backup performed on 3/6/2001 at 12:51 AM
    > Backup set #5: " Backup 0002 "
    > Restore started on 3/7/2001 at 1:44:20 PM.
    > Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > The media operation was terminated by the user.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > Restore completed on 3/7/2001 at 1:51:06 PM.
    >
    > Processed 4,704 bytes in 5 minutes and 44 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 0.0 MB/min
    >
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job ended: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 at 1:51:06 PM
    > Job completion status: Failed
    > ================================================== ====================
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Stop/Start the BENT Services
    > >
    > >Are you by anychance re-directing the Restore to a different server?
    > >Are there any relavant Event Log entries or SQL log entries
    > >
    > >Fred Bloggs wrote:
    > >
    > >> I changed the default setting of VDI to use Named Pipes (through rededt32).
    > >> It copies 258,162 bytes now instead of 4,507 and gives me the same error.
    > >> (The database is over 4 gigs)
    > >>
    > >> Also does anyone out there know how to speed up the ABORT process takes

    > like
    > >> 20 minutes to full abort!

    > >> database

  7. Re: UPDATE..but still the same error

    "Everyone" had the write/create rights but just to be sure, I went ahead and
    added the backup exec id with full control rights. Same thing.

    I have been working on this for 2 days and the users over here are getting
    really impatient thanks for sticking with me.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Couldn't find an exact hit on the MS knowledge base, but similar errors

    seem to ppoint
    >to file system rights.
    >
    >Does the backupexec Service account ID have write/create rights in the directory

    you
    >are trying to restore the SQL files to?
    >

    >Fred Bloggs wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the start and stop service trick it seems to do the trick!
    >>
    >> I am trying to restore where it normally is. I have also tried redirecting
    >> it, but same problem.
    >>
    >> here are some of the even viewer log entries for Backup Exec/SQL:
    >>
    >> I think this one came when I was trying to restore through SQL
    >> 18204 :
    >> BackupDiskFile::OpenMedia: Backup device 'BackupExecSqlAgent_IMIS_00'

    failed
    >> to open. Operating system error = 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).
    >>
    >> From Backup Exec:
    >> Job "Restore 0034" ended in an error state. Examine recent event log entries
    >> and the Job History for details.
    >>
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >> Job server: DATABASE-SRV
    >> Job name: Restore 0034
    >> Job started: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 at 1:42:43 PM
    >> Job type: Restore
    >> Log file: BEX82.txt
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >>
    >> Drive and media information from media mount:
    >> Changer Name:
    >> Drive Name: SONY 1
    >> Media Slot: 0
    >> Media Cartridge Label: 8MM000005
    >>
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >> Job Operation - Restore
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >> Restoring data to DATABASE-SRV .
    >>
    >> Storage Media #1: " Media created 03/05/2001 11:00:04 PM "
    >> Backup performed on 3/6/2001 at 12:51 AM
    >> Backup set #5: " Backup 0002 "
    >> Restore started on 3/7/2001 at 1:44:20 PM.
    >> Connection to the restore target has been lost. Operation aborted.
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> The media operation was terminated by the user.
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>
    >> Restore completed on 3/7/2001 at 1:51:06 PM.
    >>
    >> Processed 4,704 bytes in 5 minutes and 44 seconds.
    >> Throughput rate: 0.0 MB/min
    >>
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >> Job ended: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 at 1:51:06 PM
    >> Job completion status: Failed
    >> ================================================== ====================
    >>
    >> Ken Putnam wrote:
    >> >Stop/Start the BENT Services
    >> >
    >> >Are you by anychance re-directing the Restore to a different server?
    >> >Are there any relavant Event Log entries or SQL log entries

    error.

    >> like

    appreciated.

  8. Re: UPDATE..but still the same error

    'Fraid I'm out of suggestions.

    Sounds like you're gonna have to ante up $89.00 (or whatever the current price is) and
    open a trouble ticket with Veritas.

    (It'll probably turn out to be something REALLY stupid that you'll never forget )

+ Reply to Thread