Unable to attach to \\xyz\c$ access denied after Exchange backup fails - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to attach to \\xyz\c$ access denied after Exchange backup fails - Veritas Backup Exec ; Our backup job was fine for past one month. We are using BackupExec 8.5 running on win2k server and is backing up Exchange 5.5 database and IS online and we also backup c$,d$,e$ of exchange server. The job is configured ...

  1. Unable to attach to \\xyz\c$ access denied after Exchange backup fails

    Our backup job was fine for past one month. We are using BackupExec 8.5 running
    on win2k server and is backing up Exchange 5.5 database and IS online and
    we also backup c$,d$,e$ of exchange server. The job is configured to just
    skip open files.
    Yesterday night when the backup job ran and was taking backup of c$. During
    this somehow it did something to edb.log file of exchange directory. Immediately
    exchange crashed i.e all services stopped and then the backup job was not
    able to backup exchange directory and IS online.
    I rebooted the exchange server and now the backup job is able to backup IS
    and DS becuase the services are up . It is also able to backup d$, e$. However
    when it backs up c$ it gives error saying
    "Access Denied".
    There is no change in permission of the config. This error started getting
    after yesterday's crash.

    Any clue. I am planning to reinstall the agent today. Before that is there
    any solution.

  2. Re: Unable to attach to \\xyz\c$ access denied after Exchange backupfails

    Easiest thing to try is

    Stop all Backup Exec Services
    delete BEWINUI.UNI from the ...\BackupExec\NT\ directory
    restart services

    You'll need to re-enter ALL user-id/password info that was cached on the BENT
    server.

    Mukund Ambarge wrote:

    > Our backup job was fine for past one month. We are using BackupExec 8.5 running
    > on win2k server and is backing up Exchange 5.5 database and IS online and
    > we also backup c$,d$,e$ of exchange server. The job is configured to just
    > skip open files.
    > Yesterday night when the backup job ran and was taking backup of c$. During
    > this somehow it did something to edb.log file of exchange directory. Immediately
    > exchange crashed i.e all services stopped and then the backup job was not
    > able to backup exchange directory and IS online.
    > I rebooted the exchange server and now the backup job is able to backup IS
    > and DS becuase the services are up . It is also able to backup d$, e$. However
    > when it backs up c$ it gives error saying
    > "Access Denied".
    > There is no change in permission of the config. This error started getting
    > after yesterday's crash.
    >
    > Any clue. I am planning to reinstall the agent today. Before that is there
    > any solution.

  3. Re: Unable to attach to \\xyz\c$ access denied after Exchange backup

    Thanks a lot Ken,

    It worked. I deleted the file and also I went to tools and disconnected mapped
    drive in which it was showing c$ mapped to none local drive. and then restarted
    all the services.

    Thanks

    Mukund

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Easiest thing to try is
    >
    >Stop all Backup Exec Services
    >delete BEWINUI.UNI from the ...\BackupExec\NT\ directory
    >restart services
    >
    >You'll need to re-enter ALL user-id/password info that was cached on the

    BENT
    >server.
    >
    >Mukund Ambarge wrote:
    >
    >> Our backup job was fine for past one month. We are using BackupExec 8.5

    running
    >> on win2k server and is backing up Exchange 5.5 database and IS online

    and
    >> we also backup c$,d$,e$ of exchange server. The job is configured to just
    >> skip open files.
    >> Yesterday night when the backup job ran and was taking backup of c$. During
    >> this somehow it did something to edb.log file of exchange directory. Immediately
    >> exchange crashed i.e all services stopped and then the backup job was

    not
    >> able to backup exchange directory and IS online.
    >> I rebooted the exchange server and now the backup job is able to backup

    IS
    >> and DS becuase the services are up . It is also able to backup d$, e$.

    However
    >> when it backs up c$ it gives error saying
    >> "Access Denied".
    >> There is no change in permission of the config. This error started getting
    >> after yesterday's crash.
    >>
    >> Any clue. I am planning to reinstall the agent today. Before that is there
    >> any solution.

+ Reply to Thread