Replacing DAT tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Replacing DAT tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am in need of replacing my DAT tapes. Do I need to label each tape the same as the one it is replacing and just run it, or can I just put in a blank tape and it will ...

  1. Replacing DAT tapes

    I am in need of replacing my DAT tapes. Do I need to label each tape the
    same as the one it is replacing and just run it, or can I just put in a blank
    tape and it will be labeled when the backup is ran with all the same overwrite
    protection settings?

  2. Re: Replacing DAT tapes

    You can just use blank tapes of you don't mind volume names like
    4mm00001, 4mm0002 etc,

    If you want meaningful names, label the Tape the first time that it is used, and
    from then on, things should be OK

    scott wrote:

    > I am in need of replacing my DAT tapes. Do I need to label each tape the
    > same as the one it is replacing and just run it, or can I just put in a blank
    > tape and it will be labeled when the backup is ran with all the same overwrite
    > protection settings?

  3. Re: Replacing DAT tapes

    Do I need to move the old job to retired before/after/at all? Thanks.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >You can just use blank tapes of you don't mind volume names like
    >4mm00001, 4mm0002 etc,
    >
    >If you want meaningful names, label the Tape the first time that it is used,

    and
    >from then on, things should be OK
    >
    >scott wrote:
    >
    >> I am in need of replacing my DAT tapes. Do I need to label each tape

    the
    >> same as the one it is replacing and just run it, or can I just put in

    a blank
    >> tape and it will be labeled when the backup is ran with all the same overwrite
    >> protection settings?

  4. Re: Replacing DAT tapes

    Old job or old tapes?

    You can leave the job definition(s) the way it/they is/are

    if you are sure that you will never need the old volumes, can move them there, and
    once moved, can even delete them, but you don't have to.

    Scott wrote:

    > Do I need to move the old job to retired before/after/at all? Thanks.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >You can just use blank tapes of you don't mind volume names like
    > >4mm00001, 4mm0002 etc,
    > >
    > >If you want meaningful names, label the Tape the first time that it is used,

    > and
    > >from then on, things should be OK
    > >
    > >scott wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am in need of replacing my DAT tapes. Do I need to label each tape

    > the
    > >> same as the one it is replacing and just run it, or can I just put in

    > a blank
    > >> tape and it will be labeled when the backup is ran with all the same overwrite
    > >> protection settings?

  5. Re: Replacing DAT tapes

    I put in a blank tape last night, it labeled it, gave it the correct overwrite
    and not I have the old label - should the old label me moved to retired?

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Old job or old tapes?
    >
    >You can leave the job definition(s) the way it/they is/are
    >
    >if you are sure that you will never need the old volumes, can move them

    there, and
    >once moved, can even delete them, but you don't have to.
    >
    >Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Do I need to move the old job to retired before/after/at all? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Ken Putnam wrote:
    >> >You can just use blank tapes of you don't mind volume names like
    >> >4mm00001, 4mm0002 etc,
    >> >
    >> >If you want meaningful names, label the Tape the first time that it is

    used,
    >> and
    >> >from then on, things should be OK

    >> the

    in
    >> a blank

    overwrite

  6. Re: Replacing DAT tapes

    If you will never need any info off that tape, it can be, but doesn't NEED to be
    moved.

    scott wrote:

    > I put in a blank tape last night, it labeled it, gave it the correct overwrite
    > and not I have the old label - should the old label me moved to retired?
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Old job or old tapes?
    > >
    > >You can leave the job definition(s) the way it/they is/are
    > >
    > >if you are sure that you will never need the old volumes, can move them

    > there, and
    > >once moved, can even delete them, but you don't have to.
    > >
    > >Scott wrote:
    > >
    > >> Do I need to move the old job to retired before/after/at all? Thanks.

    > used,
    > >> and

    > >> the

    > in
    > >> a blank

    > overwrite

  7. Re: Replacing DAT tapes

    Thanks for you help.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >If you will never need any info off that tape, it can be, but doesn't NEED

    to be
    >moved.
    >
    >scott wrote:
    >
    >> I put in a blank tape last night, it labeled it, gave it the correct overwrite
    >> and not I have the old label - should the old label me moved to retired?
    >>
    >> Ken Putnam wrote:
    >> >Old job or old tapes?
    >> >
    >> >You can leave the job definition(s) the way it/they is/are
    >> >
    >> >if you are sure that you will never need the old volumes, can move them

    >> there, and
    >> >once moved, can even delete them, but you don't have to.

    is
    >> used,

    tape

    >> in

    same
    >> overwrite

  8. Re: Replacing DAT tapes

    I find it helpful to include the date the tape was put into service in the
    name. By doing this, the functional aspect of the name is preserved along
    with the in-service date and old tapes remain appropriately cataloged.

    davec
    "scott" wrote in message

    > I am in need of replacing my DAT tapes. Do I need to label each tape the
    > same as the one it is replacing and just run it, or can I just put in a

    blank
    > tape and it will be labeled when the backup is ran with all the same

    overwrite
    > protection settings?

+ Reply to Thread