The neverending backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on The neverending backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; When I start a backup of my SQL2k/w2k Cluster server, the backup job of my first node is starting and stops after 27MB. There is no message on screen, no special messages in the log file, no message on my ...

  1. The neverending backup

    When I start a backup of my SQL2k/w2k Cluster server, the backup job of my
    first node is starting and stops after 27MB. There is no message on screen,
    no special messages in the log file, no message on my autoloader except that
    backup exec 8.5 is still telling me "job status running". This status doesn't
    change even not after 36hours. The backup job on my second node, starts but
    "byte count" stays forever on "0" and job status stay's on Running ???? Help!!!

  2. Re: The neverending backup

    I'm having a similar problem. Every backup I try to make goes into the running
    state, completes virus scanning, and then just sits in the Running state
    doing absolutely nothing, no matter how much time it's given to run. Even
    just trying to backup one 3KB file on the same machine as the backup server
    and backup exec front end doesn't work. The job can't be aborted (the options
    is there 90% of the time, but it doesn't do anything), and the job isn't
    even trying to access the tape drive. The tape can be removed from the drive
    and reinserted without any complaint from Backup Exec, and disabling the
    drive in Backup Exec's Devices tab also has no effect. I have tried stopping
    and starting the services, rebooting the machine, trying different selections
    of files / folders, but it never works. The job always has status Running,
    progress 0 bytes, and elapsed time 0:00:00.

    This is what the log file looks like:

    Job server: MONOLITH
    Job name: Backup 0028
    Job started: Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 8:52:12 AM
    Job type: Backup
    Log file: BEX18.txt

    Job Operation - Virus Scan
    Attempt to clean infected files enabled.
    Infected files will be skipped.

    Scan of "D:".
    Virus Scan started on 8/14/2003 at 8:52:13 AM.

    1 file was scanned for viruses.
    0 files were infected with a virus.

    I'm not running a cluster of machines, or even trying to backup files accross
    the network. I'm running VERITAS Backup Exec Version 8.0 for Windows 2000
    Revision 3166 on Microsoft Windows 2000 Server v5.00.2195 Service Pack 4.
    The problem appeared suddenly over a week ago and shows no signs of improvement.

    "Peter Selis" wrote:

    >When I start a backup of my SQL2k/w2k Cluster server, the backup job of

    my
    >first node is starting and stops after 27MB. There is no message on screen,
    >no special messages in the log file, no message on my autoloader except

    that
    >backup exec 8.5 is still telling me "job status running". This status doesn't
    >change even not after 36hours. The backup job on my second node, starts

    but
    >"byte count" stays forever on "0" and job status stay's on Running ????

    Help!!!

+ Reply to Thread