VERITAS Backup Exec Open File Option and Exclusive Locks - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on VERITAS Backup Exec Open File Option and Exclusive Locks - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I'm evaluating Backup Exec 8.5 with the VERITAS Backup Exec Open File Option, and I'd like to know it with this version Bckup Exec is able to backup a file that is owned in exclusive mode by an application. ...

  1. VERITAS Backup Exec Open File Option and Exclusive Locks

    Hi,

    I'm evaluating Backup Exec 8.5 with the VERITAS Backup Exec Open File Option, and I'd like to know it with this version Bckup Exec is able to backup a file that is owned in exclusive mode by an application.

    With the BExec v7.0 it wasn't. Now the marketing style technical sheets says that with this option it is able to backup any file in the network... I wonder if this means really in the server, or if that means that with the client agent and the open file option it is possible then to backup open files in the local workstations harddisks.

    Another question could be if ,with the free workstation agent, opened files in exclusive mode can be backed up with no VERITAS Backup Exec Open File Option installed in the server ... Can they?

    For example, some users here have their own pst files, that when Outlook 98 is opened, cannot be backup up by backup Exec.

    Thanks in advance for your answer!!!

  2. Re: VERITAS Backup Exec Open File Option and Exclusive Locks

    I don't have a direct answer for your question, but I do have a suggestion.

    Since it seems that your problem is with pst files, you should get a mail
    server and move everyone away from pst files. You get single point backup
    (you don't have to backup 50 files over 50 workstations to get all the
    mail). Your backup will be smaller, since pst files become fragmented over
    time. And you get to avoid OFO. Scan the newsgroup for OFO related
    messages and you will see what I mean. Also, if you are using OFO to backup
    a database, you are headed for trouble.

    Charles Villa

    "RROCA" wrote in message
[...]

  3. Re: VERITAS Backup Exec Open File Option and Exclusive Locks

    Thanks for your answer, in fact that is what we're going to do. However,
    there is some vital information that some vip users don't want to store in
    our server, so I'll need to keep some pst's files, and so backup these
    files.

    I hope that perhaps the client agent (that is free) will be able to backup
    these pst files.

    Thanks for your answer!!

    "Charles Villa" escribió en el mensaje
    > I don't have a direct answer for your question, but I do have a

    suggestion.

    > Since it seems that your problem is with pst files, you should get a mail
    > server and move everyone away from pst files. You get single point backup
    > (you don't have to backup 50 files over 50 workstations to get all the
    > mail). Your backup will be smaller, since pst files become fragmented

    over
    > time. And you get to avoid OFO. Scan the newsgroup for OFO related
    > messages and you will see what I mean. Also, if you are using OFO to

    backup
    > a database, you are headed for trouble.
    >
    > Charles Villa
    >

    > "RROCA" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >

    > I'm evaluating Backup Exec 8.5 with the VERITAS Backup Exec Open File
    > Option, and I'd like to know it with this version Bckup Exec is able to
    > backup a file that is owned in exclusive mode by an application.
    >
    > With the BExec v7.0 it wasn't. Now the marketing style technical sheets

    says
    > that with this option it is able to backup any file in the network... I
    > wonder if this means really in the server, or if that means that with the
    > client agent and the open file option it is possible then to backup open
    > files in the local workstations harddisks.
    >
    > Another question could be if ,with the free workstation agent, opened

    files
    > in exclusive mode can be backed up with no VERITAS Backup Exec Open File
    > Option installed in the server ... Can they?
    >
    > For example, some users here have their own pst files, that when Outlook

    98
    > is opened, cannot be backup up by backup Exec.
    >

    > Thanks in advance for your answer!!!

+ Reply to Thread