compression not working. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on compression not working. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am using Backup exec 7.3 rev 2576 with data cardridge SLR24 ( SLR6-24GB) Although I checked the option " hardware ( if available, otherwise software)" under compression if the backup exceeds 12GB it asks for a new cardrige... ...

  1. compression not working.

    Hi,

    I am using Backup exec 7.3 rev 2576 with data cardridge SLR24 ( SLR6-24GB)
    Although I checked the option " hardware ( if available, otherwise
    software)" under compression
    if the backup exceeds 12GB it asks for a new cardrige...
    How can I get it to compress data and backup up to 24 GB in 1 cardridge ??
    Thanks for any help.

    Perla

  2. Re: compression not working.

    Just for grins, try job with software compression instead of hardware.

    I much prefer software compression over hardware compression, since hardware
    compression algorithms are so device specific (at least in the DLT world)

    perla wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Backup exec 7.3 rev 2576 with data cardridge SLR24 ( SLR6-24GB)
    > Although I checked the option " hardware ( if available, otherwise
    > software)" under compression
    > if the backup exceeds 12GB it asks for a new cardrige...
    > How can I get it to compress data and backup up to 24 GB in 1 cardridge ??
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Perla

  3. Re: compression not working.

    I have a similar problem...

    We have two servers; file server and comms server with BE7.3 and HPC1533a
    DDS-2 drive installed in the comms server. We have been backing up about
    7.6gb to a single tape for about 3 months. Recently we upgraded the service
    pack on the comms server from 4 to 6a and installed Terminal Server (Again
    SP 6a)on the files server instead of straight NT 4.

    The backup job has not changed - the amount of data to backup is exactly
    the same - everything is fine ....

    Except that we are now only getting 4.8 gb on a tape! The drive is 4/8gb
    and I ran a backup using software compression to see the compression ratio.
    About 4.8gb of the data is now only being compressed at 1.1:1. I do not
    know what it was before but it obviously wasn't that bad!

    Please could you let me know what variables could have changed in the above
    procedure.

    Thanks,

    Jim

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Just for grins, try job with software compression instead of hardware.
    >
    >I much prefer software compression over hardware compression, since hardware
    >compression algorithms are so device specific (at least in the DLT world)
    >
    >perla wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am using Backup exec 7.3 rev 2576 with data cardridge SLR24 ( SLR6-24GB)
    >> Although I checked the option " hardware ( if available, otherwise
    >> software)" under compression
    >> if the backup exceeds 12GB it asks for a new cardrige...
    >> How can I get it to compress data and backup up to 24 GB in 1 cardridge

    ??
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Perla

  4. Re: compression not working.

    From what you describe, there should have been no great change in compression
    ratio.

    dunno what else to say

    Jim Fowler wrote:

    > I have a similar problem...
    >
    > We have two servers; file server and comms server with BE7.3 and HPC1533a
    > DDS-2 drive installed in the comms server. We have been backing up about
    > 7.6gb to a single tape for about 3 months. Recently we upgraded the service
    > pack on the comms server from 4 to 6a and installed Terminal Server (Again
    > SP 6a)on the files server instead of straight NT 4.
    >
    > The backup job has not changed - the amount of data to backup is exactly
    > the same - everything is fine ....
    >
    > Except that we are now only getting 4.8 gb on a tape! The drive is 4/8gb
    > and I ran a backup using software compression to see the compression ratio.
    > About 4.8gb of the data is now only being compressed at 1.1:1. I do not
    > know what it was before but it obviously wasn't that bad!
    >
    > Please could you let me know what variables could have changed in the above
    > procedure.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Just for grins, try job with software compression instead of hardware.
    > >
    > >I much prefer software compression over hardware compression, since hardware
    > >compression algorithms are so device specific (at least in the DLT world)
    > >
    > >perla wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I am using Backup exec 7.3 rev 2576 with data cardridge SLR24 ( SLR6-24GB)
    > >> Although I checked the option " hardware ( if available, otherwise
    > >> software)" under compression
    > >> if the backup exceeds 12GB it asks for a new cardrige...
    > >> How can I get it to compress data and backup up to 24 GB in 1 cardridge

    > ??
    > >> Thanks for any help.
    > >>
    > >> Perla

+ Reply to Thread