Unable to acquire device or media. - Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to acquire device or media. - Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello: I work with a BackupExec 7.3 for NT with NT4. Just today I replaced the backup unit of the PowerEdge 1300 Dell Server. I tried to start a backup and this is the message I've got: Unable to acquire ...

  1. Unable to acquire device or media. - Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier.

    Hello:
    I work with a BackupExec 7.3 for NT with NT4.
    Just today I replaced the backup unit of the PowerEdge 1300 Dell Server.
    I tried to start a backup and this is the message I've got:

    Unable to acquire device or media.
    Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier.

    The backup unit seems to be connected ok, it is recognized, but just won't
    do any backup.

    Does anyone has a clue?
    Thanks,
    Marco

  2. Re: Unable to acquire device or media. - Invalid Physical Volume LibraryDrive Identifier.

    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190973.htm

    Marco wrote:

    > Hello:
    > I work with a BackupExec 7.3 for NT with NT4.
    > Just today I replaced the backup unit of the PowerEdge 1300 Dell Server.
    > I tried to start a backup and this is the message I've got:
    >
    > Unable to acquire device or media.
    > Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier.
    >
    > The backup unit seems to be connected ok, it is recognized, but just won't
    > do any backup.
    >
    > Does anyone has a clue?
    > Thanks,
    > Marco

  3. Re: Unable to acquire device or media. - Invalid Physical Volume Library

    That technote is kind of a non-answer. So basically Veritas is saying to
    ignore the tape drive that is giving the error?

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190973.htm
    >
    >Marco wrote:
    >
    >> Hello:
    >> I work with a BackupExec 7.3 for NT with NT4.
    >> Just today I replaced the backup unit of the PowerEdge 1300 Dell Server.
    >> I tried to start a backup and this is the message I've got:
    >>
    >> Unable to acquire device or media.
    >> Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier.
    >>
    >> The backup unit seems to be connected ok, it is recognized, but just won't
    >> do any backup.
    >>
    >> Does anyone has a clue?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Marco

  4. Re: Unable to acquire device or media. - Invalid Physical Volume Library

    No, Veritas is saying that at run time, Backup Exec cannot find that
    drive. The solution is to change the job to look for another drive

    Jack wrote:

    >That technote is kind of a non-answer. So basically Veritas is saying to
    >ignore the tape drive that is giving the error?
    >

    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >
    >>see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190973.htm
    >>
    >>Marco wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello:
    >>>I work with a BackupExec 7.3 for NT with NT4.
    >>>Just today I replaced the backup unit of the PowerEdge 1300 Dell Server.
    >>>I tried to start a backup and this is the message I've got:
    >>>
    >>>Unable to acquire device or media.
    >>>Invalid Physical Volume Library Drive Identifier.
    >>>
    >>>The backup unit seems to be connected ok, it is recognized, but just won't
    >>>do any backup.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone has a clue?
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Marco

  5. Re: Unable to acquire device or media. - Invalid Physical Volume Library

    Check out the following:
    1. Make sure you have a driver for the tape unit installed on the Dell.
    2. Check to make sure the cables are connected properly between the tape
    unit and the Dell.
    3. Make sure you don't have any weird diagnostics on the tape unit during
    self-test.

    Hope this helps.

    Phil

    >>That technote is kind of a non-answer. So basically Veritas is saying

    >>ignore the tape drive that is giving the error?
    >>

    >>Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>
    >>>see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190973.htm

    won't

+ Reply to Thread