"Access denied to file ..." on entire volume - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on "Access denied to file ..." on entire volume - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a problem with Backup Exec since installing NW51SP2A (Netware 5.1 service pack 2a). The backup jobs are failing on two volumes (out of five) with "Access denied to file ..." on every single file on the volume. The ...

  1. "Access denied to file ..." on entire volume

    I have a problem with Backup Exec since installing NW51SP2A
    (Netware 5.1 service pack 2a).

    The backup jobs are failing on two volumes (out of five) with
    "Access denied to file ..." on every single file on the volume.
    The rest of the backup on the other volumes completes ok.

    I checked permissions on supervisor (backup user) and is ok.
    I have restarted the backup machine and server a couple of times.

    A test backup job on the problem volumes fails for the same reason.
    A test backup job on the other volumes works no worries.

    On the backup machine I can browse through the file selection
    list in Backup Exec on the problem volume and see all files and
    directories.
    I can also create, modify and erase files on that volume with
    Windows Explorer.

    Any help appreciated.

    Simon.

  2. Re: "Access denied to file ..." on entire volume

    Dumb question: Are you sure you are logging on as the same account when you
    browse as the backup services are?

    Charles Villa

    "Simon Pickett" wrote in message

    > I have a problem with Backup Exec since installing NW51SP2A
    > (Netware 5.1 service pack 2a).
    >
    > The backup jobs are failing on two volumes (out of five) with
    > "Access denied to file ..." on every single file on the volume.
    > The rest of the backup on the other volumes completes ok.
    >
    > I checked permissions on supervisor (backup user) and is ok.
    > I have restarted the backup machine and server a couple of times.
    >
    > A test backup job on the problem volumes fails for the same reason.
    > A test backup job on the other volumes works no worries.
    >
    > On the backup machine I can browse through the file selection
    > list in Backup Exec on the problem volume and see all files and
    > directories.
    > I can also create, modify and erase files on that volume with
    > Windows Explorer.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Simon.

  3. Re: "Access denied to file ..." on entire volume

    "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >Dumb question: Are you sure you are logging on as the same account when

    you
    >browse as the backup services are?
    >
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >"Simon Pickett" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a problem with Backup Exec since installing NW51SP2A
    >> (Netware 5.1 service pack 2a).
    >>
    >> The backup jobs are failing on two volumes (out of five) with
    >> "Access denied to file ..." on every single file on the volume.
    >> The rest of the backup on the other volumes completes ok.
    >>
    >> I checked permissions on supervisor (backup user) and is ok.
    >> I have restarted the backup machine and server a couple of times.
    >>
    >> A test backup job on the problem volumes fails for the same reason.
    >> A test backup job on the other volumes works no worries.
    >>
    >> On the backup machine I can browse through the file selection
    >> list in Backup Exec on the problem volume and see all files and
    >> directories.
    >> I can also create, modify and erase files on that volume with
    >> Windows Explorer.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.
    >>
    >> Simon.

  4. Re: "Access denied to file ..." on entire volume

    "Simon" wrote:

    Fixed.

    I contacted Veritas support and they suggested to recover
    three nlm's from the service pack backup directory:
    smdr, tsa500 and tsands.

    I copied the backup copies back into sys and rebooted the server.
    Problem solved.

    >"Charles Villa" wrote:
    >>Dumb question: Are you sure you are logging on as the same account when

    >you
    >>browse as the backup services are?
    >>
    >>Charles Villa
    >>
    >>"Simon Pickett" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have a problem with Backup Exec since installing NW51SP2A
    >>> (Netware 5.1 service pack 2a).
    >>>
    >>> The backup jobs are failing on two volumes (out of five) with
    >>> "Access denied to file ..." on every single file on the volume.
    >>> The rest of the backup on the other volumes completes ok.
    >>>
    >>> I checked permissions on supervisor (backup user) and is ok.
    >>> I have restarted the backup machine and server a couple of times.
    >>>
    >>> A test backup job on the problem volumes fails for the same reason.
    >>> A test backup job on the other volumes works no worries.
    >>>
    >>> On the backup machine I can browse through the file selection
    >>> list in Backup Exec on the problem volume and see all files and
    >>> directories.
    >>> I can also create, modify and erase files on that volume with
    >>> Windows Explorer.
    >>>
    >>> Any help appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Simon.

+ Reply to Thread