How to UNERASE tape after quick erase (BE 8 NT) - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How to UNERASE tape after quick erase (BE 8 NT) - Veritas Backup Exec ; HELP! May be somebody knows HOW TO UNERASE tape after Quick Erase was made on BE 8.0 for NT? Tanks in advance...

  1. How to UNERASE tape after quick erase (BE 8 NT)

    HELP!
    May be somebody knows HOW TO UNERASE tape after Quick Erase was made on BE
    8.0 for NT?

    Tanks in advance

  2. Re: How to UNERASE tape after quick erase (BE 8 NT)

    I've never had to try this, but a fellow on the forum got ther following after
    paying veritas to answer that question

    (From Backup Exec Support)

    Open Backup Exec, go to tools/options.
    Go to Catalog tab.
    Uncheck the option to "Use Storage Media-Based catalogs",
    Then inventory/catalog the tape.
    This will allow the software to create a catalog of the tape, file for file.

    If the catalog does not appear in restore selections.
    Close Backup Exec, stop all BENT services in the Control Panel.
    Open the Explorer and go to \program files\veritas\backup exec\nt.
    Rename the Catalogs folder to catalogs_old
    Start all BENT services and Open BE.
    Then inventory/catalog the tape, with the above option unselected.

    To return to your saved catalogs, delete the catalogs directory and
    rename catalogs_old to catalogs.

    Vladislav wrote:

    > HELP!
    > May be somebody knows HOW TO UNERASE tape after Quick Erase was made on BE
    > 8.0 for NT?
    >
    > Tanks in advance

  3. Re: How to UNERASE tape after quick erase (BE 8 NT)

    I tried this for a quick erased tape and it didn't work. I then called Veritas
    technical support and was told that there wasn't a way to recover the data
    using Backup Exec. Quick erase deletes the header off the tape, but not
    the data. The only way to recover a tape that has been quick erased is to
    have a company that has the appropriate expertise physically open the tape
    and recover the data that way.
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >I've never had to try this, but a fellow on the forum got ther following

    after
    >paying veritas to answer that question
    >
    >(From Backup Exec Support)
    >
    >Open Backup Exec, go to tools/options.
    >Go to Catalog tab.
    >Uncheck the option to "Use Storage Media-Based catalogs",
    >Then inventory/catalog the tape.
    >This will allow the software to create a catalog of the tape, file for file.
    >
    >If the catalog does not appear in restore selections.
    >Close Backup Exec, stop all BENT services in the Control Panel.
    >Open the Explorer and go to \program files\veritas\backup exec\nt.
    >Rename the Catalogs folder to catalogs_old
    >Start all BENT services and Open BE.
    >Then inventory/catalog the tape, with the above option unselected.
    >
    >To return to your saved catalogs, delete the catalogs directory and
    >rename catalogs_old to catalogs.
    >

    >Vladislav wrote:
    >
    >> HELP!
    >> May be somebody knows HOW TO UNERASE tape after Quick Erase was made on

    BE
    >> 8.0 for NT?
    >>
    >> Tanks in advance

  4. Re: How to UNERASE tape after quick erase (BE 8 NT)

    Have you tried giving it a label 0 any label and trying againg. Maybe BENT needs
    to see the label before it will continue

    (and that may have been what the fellow who posted this did, re-label a tape,
    rather than just quick erase it - It's been a long time since the post)

    Cyndi Hartmann wrote:

    > I tried this for a quick erased tape and it didn't work. I then called Veritas
    > technical support and was told that there wasn't a way to recover the data
    > using Backup Exec. Quick erase deletes the header off the tape, but not
    > the data. The only way to recover a tape that has been quick erased is to
    > have a company that has the appropriate expertise physically open the tape
    > and recover the data that way.
    > >Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >I've never had to try this, but a fellow on the forum got ther following

    > after
    > >paying veritas to answer that question
    > >
    > >(From Backup Exec Support)
    > >
    > >Open Backup Exec, go to tools/options.
    > >Go to Catalog tab.
    > >Uncheck the option to "Use Storage Media-Based catalogs",
    > >Then inventory/catalog the tape.
    > >This will allow the software to create a catalog of the tape, file for file.
    > >
    > >If the catalog does not appear in restore selections.
    > >Close Backup Exec, stop all BENT services in the Control Panel.
    > >Open the Explorer and go to \program files\veritas\backup exec\nt.
    > >Rename the Catalogs folder to catalogs_old
    > >Start all BENT services and Open BE.
    > >Then inventory/catalog the tape, with the above option unselected.
    > >
    > >To return to your saved catalogs, delete the catalogs directory and
    > >rename catalogs_old to catalogs.
    > >

    > >Vladislav wrote:
    > >
    > >> HELP!
    > >> May be somebody knows HOW TO UNERASE tape after Quick Erase was made on

    > BE
    > >> 8.0 for NT?
    > >>
    > >> Tanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread