SQL Server Agent - What does it do? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL Server Agent - What does it do? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Using Backup Exec (V7.3) on an NT 4.0 (sp6a) box, I have the Veritas SQL Agent option installed. Whenever I perform my backups that include SQL Server (7.0) databases, when I look at the log from the backup I get ...

  1. SQL Server Agent - What does it do?

    Using Backup Exec (V7.3) on an NT 4.0 (sp6a) box, I have the
    Veritas SQL Agent option installed.

    Whenever I perform my backups that include SQL Server (7.0)
    databases, when I look at the log from the backup I get messages
    that indicate that the .MDF and .LDF files were in use and were
    skipped in the backup.

    I thought that this option would allow my SQL Server databases
    to be backed-up without having to stop the SQL Server service.

    So what does this option do?

    Thanks for any and all help.
    Russ Alltucker
    Calif. dept. of Toxic Substances Control

  2. Re: SQL Server Agent - What does it do?

    On 7 Feb 2001 17:20:19 -0500, "Russ Alltucker"
    wrote:

    >Whenever I perform my backups that include SQL Server (7.0)
    >databases, when I look at the log from the backup I get messages
    >that indicate that the .MDF and .LDF files were in use and were
    >skipped in the backup.

    BE utilizes the API in SQL server to perform a database backup there
    files will be skipped and as long as you have selected all your
    databases under "SQL Server" you dont need the mdf/ldf files

    >I thought that this option would allow my SQL Server databases
    >to be backed-up without having to stop the SQL Server service.

    It does , if you configure it have you selected SQL databases in you
    backup job

    >Calif. dept. of Toxic Substances Control

    Uh uh dont want to loose a database there :-)

+ Reply to Thread