Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped. - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm running Backup Exec. on a different server than the Exchange server its backing up. Every few days, the job fails with the following: Performing Remote Agent backup Media Name: "Media created 1/29/2001 08:59:06 PM" Backup of "\\DENS07\C$ " Backup ...

  1. Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    I'm running Backup Exec. on a different server than the Exchange server its
    backing up. Every few days, the job fails with the following:

    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 1/29/2001 08:59:06 PM"
    Backup of "\\DENS07\C$ "
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Backup 0001"
    Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 1/29/2001 at 8:59:22 PM.
    Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.
    Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\mdbdata\tmp.edb - skipped.

    Invariably, when we relabel the tape, and start again, the job runs fine.
    This is Exchange 5.5 on an NT server. Backup Exec. 8.5 is running on an NT
    box. Someone was kind enough to suggest I install the Exchange Agent, but
    I'm curious if this will work in the scenario I've described? I'm new to
    Backup Exec., is the agent an additional piece of software I'll need to purchase?

    Thanks for everyone's help/feedback.

  2. Re: Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    You are trying to get a file backup of a running database (Exchange is a
    mail database server at the core). This doesn't work as you have seen. You
    have two options:
    1) Stop all the exchange services, get the file backup, then restart the
    services.
    2) Buy the Exchange agent and get an on-line backup (via the information
    store and directory. don't do individual mailbox backup).

    Option 2 is the best. Your server stays up and it has better transaction
    log support.

    Charles Villa

    "aglaess" wrote in message

    > I'm running Backup Exec. on a different server than the Exchange server

    its
    > backing up. Every few days, the job fails with the following:
    >
    > Performing Remote Agent backup
    >
    > Media Name: "Media created 1/29/2001 08:59:06 PM"
    > Backup of "\\DENS07\C$ "
    > Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    > Backup set description: "Backup 0001"
    > Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > Backup started on 1/29/2001 at 8:59:22 PM.
    > Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.
    > Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\mdbdata\tmp.edb - skipped.
    >
    > Invariably, when we relabel the tape, and start again, the job runs fine.
    > This is Exchange 5.5 on an NT server. Backup Exec. 8.5 is running on an NT
    > box. Someone was kind enough to suggest I install the Exchange Agent, but
    > I'm curious if this will work in the scenario I've described? I'm new to
    > Backup Exec., is the agent an additional piece of software I'll need to

    purchase?

    > Thanks for everyone's help/feedback.

  3. Re: Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    Would it generally work without the agent? Because currently I'm having three
    or so good days between failures.

    Thanks for all of your help.

    "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >You are trying to get a file backup of a running database (Exchange is a
    >mail database server at the core). This doesn't work as you have seen.

    You
    >have two options:
    >1) Stop all the exchange services, get the file backup, then restart the
    >services.
    >2) Buy the Exchange agent and get an on-line backup (via the information
    >store and directory. don't do individual mailbox backup).
    >
    >Option 2 is the best. Your server stays up and it has better transaction
    >log support.
    >
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >"aglaess" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm running Backup Exec. on a different server than the Exchange server

    >its
    >> backing up. Every few days, the job fails with the following:
    >>
    >> Performing Remote Agent backup
    >>
    >> Media Name: "Media created 1/29/2001 08:59:06 PM"
    >> Backup of "\\DENS07\C$ "
    >> Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >> Backup set description: "Backup 0001"
    >> Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >> Backup started on 1/29/2001 at 8:59:22 PM.
    >> Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.
    >> Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\mdbdata\tmp.edb - skipped.
    >>
    >> Invariably, when we relabel the tape, and start again, the job runs fine.
    >> This is Exchange 5.5 on an NT server. Backup Exec. 8.5 is running on an

    NT
    >> box. Someone was kind enough to suggest I install the Exchange Agent,

    but
    >> I'm curious if this will work in the scenario I've described? I'm new

    >> Backup Exec., is the agent an additional piece of software I'll need to

    >purchase?
    >>
    >> Thanks for everyone's help/feedback.

  4. Re: Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    No. As I said before, you either stop the services and get a flat file
    backup of Exchange or you get the agent to get an on-line backup. There are
    no other options. Don't even consider OFO for backing up open database
    files.

    Even if BENT is not reporting any failure, I can gaurantee you are not
    getting good backups. If something happens and you have to restore from
    them, you will be in trouble.

    Charles Villa

    "aglaess" wrote in message

    > Would it generally work without the agent? Because currently I'm having

    three
    > or so good days between failures.
    >
    > Thanks for all of your help.
    >

    > "Charles Villa" wrote:
    > >You are trying to get a file backup of a running database (Exchange is a
    > >mail database server at the core). This doesn't work as you have seen.

    > You
    > >have two options:
    > >1) Stop all the exchange services, get the file backup, then restart the
    > >services.
    > >2) Buy the Exchange agent and get an on-line backup (via the information
    > >store and directory. don't do individual mailbox backup).
    > >
    > >Option 2 is the best. Your server stays up and it has better transaction
    > >log support.
    > >
    > >Charles Villa
    > >
    > >"aglaess" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I'm running Backup Exec. on a different server than the Exchange server

    > >its
    > >> backing up. Every few days, the job fails with the following:
    > >>
    > >> Performing Remote Agent backup
    > >>
    > >> Media Name: "Media created 1/29/2001 08:59:06 PM"
    > >> Backup of "\\DENS07\C$ "
    > >> Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    > >> Backup set description: "Backup 0001"
    > >> Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > >> Backup started on 1/29/2001 at 8:59:22 PM.
    > >> Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.
    > >> Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\mdbdata\tmp.edb - skipped.
    > >>
    > >> Invariably, when we relabel the tape, and start again, the job runs

    fine.
    > >> This is Exchange 5.5 on an NT server. Backup Exec. 8.5 is running on an

    > NT
    > >> box. Someone was kind enough to suggest I install the Exchange Agent,

    > but
    > >> I'm curious if this will work in the scenario I've described? I'm new

    > >> Backup Exec., is the agent an additional piece of software I'll need to

    > >purchase?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for everyone's help/feedback.

  5. Re: Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    I forgot to add, if you get the agent, see
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/207980.htm for information on what
    exchange files to exclude, since they will be open.

    CV

    "aglaess" wrote in message

    > Would it generally work without the agent? Because currently I'm having

    three
    > or so good days between failures.
    >
    > Thanks for all of your help.
    >

    > "Charles Villa" wrote:
    > >You are trying to get a file backup of a running database (Exchange is a
    > >mail database server at the core). This doesn't work as you have seen.

    > You
    > >have two options:
    > >1) Stop all the exchange services, get the file backup, then restart the
    > >services.
    > >2) Buy the Exchange agent and get an on-line backup (via the information
    > >store and directory. don't do individual mailbox backup).
    > >
    > >Option 2 is the best. Your server stays up and it has better transaction
    > >log support.
    > >
    > >Charles Villa
    > >
    > >"aglaess" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I'm running Backup Exec. on a different server than the Exchange server

    > >its
    > >> backing up. Every few days, the job fails with the following:
    > >>
    > >> Performing Remote Agent backup
    > >>
    > >> Media Name: "Media created 1/29/2001 08:59:06 PM"
    > >> Backup of "\\DENS07\C$ "
    > >> Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    > >> Backup set description: "Backup 0001"
    > >> Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > >> Backup started on 1/29/2001 at 8:59:22 PM.
    > >> Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.
    > >> Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\mdbdata\tmp.edb - skipped.
    > >>
    > >> Invariably, when we relabel the tape, and start again, the job runs

    fine.
    > >> This is Exchange 5.5 on an NT server. Backup Exec. 8.5 is running on an

    > NT
    > >> box. Someone was kind enough to suggest I install the Exchange Agent,

    > but
    > >> I'm curious if this will work in the scenario I've described? I'm new

    > >> Backup Exec., is the agent an additional piece of software I'll need to

    > >purchase?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for everyone's help/feedback.

  6. Re: Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    AHA! Exactly what I've been looking for! Cool.

    Charles Villa wrote in message
    > I forgot to add, if you get the agent, see
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/207980.htm for information on what
    > exchange files to exclude, since they will be open.
    >
    > CV
    >
    > "aglaess" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Would it generally work without the agent? Because currently I'm having

    > three
    > > or so good days between failures.
    > >
    > > Thanks for all of your help.
    > >

    > > "Charles Villa" wrote:
    > > >You are trying to get a file backup of a running database (Exchange is

    > > >mail database server at the core). This doesn't work as you have seen.

    > > You
    > > >have two options:
    > > >1) Stop all the exchange services, get the file backup, then restart

    the
    > > >services.
    > > >2) Buy the Exchange agent and get an on-line backup (via the

    information
    > > >store and directory. don't do individual mailbox backup).
    > > >
    > > >Option 2 is the best. Your server stays up and it has better

    transaction
    > > >log support.
    > > >
    > > >Charles Villa
    > > >
    > > >"aglaess" wrote in message

    server
    > > >its

    > fine.

    an
    > > NT

    > > but

    > > >purchase?

  7. Re: Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    Here are some extensive notes I've taken on the subject of Exchange backups:

    1. The account with which the backup server connects to other servers must
    posses domain admin rights. If your environment consists of more than one
    domain it is not necessary to create a backup account in each domain so long
    as the domains have a trust.
    2. The domain backup account must be added to the local administrator group
    on each server flagged for backup. Don't bother with the Backup Operators
    group.
    3. For Exchange servers the backup account must be granted "permissions admin"
    rights in Exchange Administrator at both the site level and configuration
    level. It is not necessary to give it permissions at the server level.
    4. To backup the Exchange Information Store and Exchange Directory you must
    be running the Exchange Agent on the backup server as well as Exchange Administrator.
    Install the same Exchange service pack on the backup server as is on all
    Exchange servers flagged for backup.
    5. Be sure to exclude *.EDB and EDB*.LOG, in your backup
    job. These files are in use by the Exchange services and will be skipped
    if flagged for backup.

    Syntax should look like this:
    \\mailserver\c$\*.edb /SUBDIR /EXCLUDE
    \\mailserver\c$\edb*.log /SUBDIR /EXCLUDE

    CIRCULAR LOGGING:
    Cannot run differential backups while circular logging is enabled because
    Exchange commits logs and then deletes them.
    Can only run differential backups with circular logging disabled.

    Circular logging can help conserve disk space but it has significant drawbacks:
    it disables incremental and differential backups and creates a cyclical,
    truncated transaction log history that cannot be played back. To make sure
    that transaction log files are regularly purged to free up disk space, instigate
    a solid backup strategy that does not require circular logging.

    This option is not recommended. It saves disk space, but does it at the expense
    of recoverability. Circular logging wraps log files—a default of four—so
    you can restore very little of what happened since the last full backup.
    Most people consider this insufficient.

    It's best just to run a full backup on the EIS and ED. If you run a differential
    backup on the admin shares just put the Exchange backup in it's own backup
    job.

    "Ron" wrote:
    >AHA! Exactly what I've been looking for! Cool.
    >
    >Charles Villa wrote in message
    >> I forgot to add, if you get the agent, see
    >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/207980.htm for information on what
    >> exchange files to exclude, since they will be open.
    >>
    >> CV
    >>
    >> "aglaess" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Would it generally work without the agent? Because currently I'm having

    >> three
    >> > or so good days between failures.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for all of your help.

    is
    >> > You

    >the

    >information

    >transaction

    >server

    >> fine.

    on
    >an
    >> > NT
    >> > but

    new

  8. Re: Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    God Love You, Sir.
    You have saved me more time than I can Imagine. Although Veritas makes a
    very "robust" product, the support and KB's are a little lacking at times.
    Thanks again for posting these very clear and helpful suggestions. One
    question, however: I have re and re-installed the Exchange Agent, but do
    not see an obvious change...should it run as a service? at this time it
    does not, and I suspect it is not installed correctly..there seems to be
    some sort of conflict due to an NT bug re: the system default locale will
    not hold a choice for english as the language. This pops an Error when trying
    to install anything from the BENT cd. If you have any thoughts, I would
    value them.

    Thanks again,

    Paz Terry
    "Alan Chapman" wrote:

> [...]

    >a solid backup strategy that does not require circular logging.
    >
    >This option is not recommended. It saves disk space, but does it at the

    expense
    >of recoverability. Circular logging wraps log files—a default of four—so
    >you can restore very little of what happened since the last full backup.
    >Most people consider this insufficient.
    >
    >It's best just to run a full backup on the EIS and ED. If you run a differential
    >backup on the admin shares just put the Exchange backup in it's own backup
    >job.
    >
    >"Ron" wrote:
    >>AHA! Exactly what I've been looking for! Cool.
    >>
    >>Charles Villa wrote in message
    >>> I forgot to add, if you get the agent, see
    >>> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/207980.htm for information on what
    >>> exchange files to exclude, since they will be open.

  9. Re: Unable to open the item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb - skipped.

    The Exchange agent is just a license code. Backup Exec already has the
    necessary software. All you are doing is indicating you have paid for it.
    If you go to Help -> About, you should see the Exchange Agent license code
    listed. There are no extra services to run. When you look at your Exchange
    server in the selection list, you should see 'Microsoft Exchange Information
    Store' and 'Microsoft Exchange Directory'. Select those two entries for
    proper backup.

    Read http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/te...kupRestore.htm and
    addons.pdf (in the backup exec directory).

    I don't have any information about the language problem.

    Charles Villa

+ Reply to Thread