Unable to backup SQL 7 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to backup SQL 7 - Veritas Backup Exec ; My backups keep failing and the only error I can find is the one in the log below: "BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled. Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using ...

  1. Unable to backup SQL 7

    My backups keep failing and the only error I can find is the one in the log
    below: "BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is
    enabled. Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption."
    I am using the Backup Database option (I believe). Does anyone know how
    to disable the trunc.log on chkpt option? I don't know what sp_dboption is
    or where to find it.

    Thanks,
    Rhett

    Media Name: "Media created 2/2/01 08:29:00 PM"
    Backup of "SYDNEY "
    Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "New Sydney Nightly"
    Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    Backup started on 2/2/01 at 8:33:28 PM.

    An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SQL Server returned the following error message:

    BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped.

  2. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7 with BENT 8.5

    Oh, by the way, I'm using BENT 8.5 on a Windows NT4.0, SP6a Compaq1850R.
    Thanks again,
    Rhett

    >My backups keep failing and the only error I can find is the one in the

    log
    >below: "BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option

    is
    >enabled. Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption."
    >I am using the Backup Database option (I believe). Does anyone know how
    >to disable the trunc.log on chkpt option? I don't know what sp_dboption

    is
    >or where to find it.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Rhett
    >

    >Media Name: "Media created 2/2/01 08:29:00 PM"
    >Backup of "SYDNEY "
    >Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "New Sydney Nightly"
    >Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    >Backup started on 2/2/01 at 8:33:28 PM.
    >
    >An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >
    >BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is enabled.
    >Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped.

  3. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7

    It looks like you are trying to do an incremental or differential backup.
    You can't do those when you have the truncate log option on. Either do full
    backups only or turn off the truncate logs option.

    In either case, your next backup must be a full backup.

    Charles Villa

    "Rhett Redelings" wrote in message

    > My backups keep failing and the only error I can find is the one in the

    log
    > below: "BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is
    > enabled. Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption."
    > I am using the Backup Database option (I believe). Does anyone know how
    > to disable the trunc.log on chkpt option? I don't know what sp_dboption is
    > or where to find it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rhett
    >

    > Media Name: "Media created 2/2/01 08:29:00 PM"
    > Backup of "SYDNEY "
    > Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    > Backup set description: "New Sydney Nightly"
    > Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    > Backup started on 2/2/01 at 8:33:28 PM.
    >
    > An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >
    > BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    enabled.
    > Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped.

  4. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7

    Hi Charles,
    I'm trying to do a Full (Reset Archive Bit) backup.
    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Rhett

    "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >It looks like you are trying to do an incremental or differential backup.
    >You can't do those when you have the truncate log option on. Either do

    full
    >backups only or turn off the truncate logs option.
    >
    >In either case, your next backup must be a full backup.
    >
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >"Rhett Redelings" wrote in message
    >>
    >> My backups keep failing and the only error I can find is the one in the

    >log
    >> below: "BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option

    is
    >> enabled. Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption."
    >> I am using the Backup Database option (I believe). Does anyone know how
    >> to disable the trunc.log on chkpt option? I don't know what sp_dboption

    is
    >> or where to find it.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Rhett
    >>

    >> Media Name: "Media created 2/2/01 08:29:00 PM"
    >> Backup of "SYDNEY "
    >> Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    >> Backup set description: "New Sydney Nightly"
    >> Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    >> Backup started on 2/2/01 at 8:33:28 PM.
    >>
    >> An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >>
    >> BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    >enabled.
    >> Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >>
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped.

  5. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7

    On the job settings, go to the SQLServer page and select 'backup database'
    there. The option you are describing affects only the file portion of the
    backup. It is a very confusing setup. It is easy to think you have
    selected full/incr/diff for your entire backup set, only to find later the
    SQL/Exchange agents are doing something else.

    > Hi Charles,
    > I'm trying to do a Full (Reset Archive Bit) backup.
    > Any other thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rhett
    >
    > "Charles Villa" wrote:
    > >It looks like you are trying to do an incremental or differential backup.
    > >You can't do those when you have the truncate log option on. Either do

    > full
    > >backups only or turn off the truncate logs option.
    > >
    > >In either case, your next backup must be a full backup.
    > >
    > >Charles Villa
    > >
    > >"Rhett Redelings" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> My backups keep failing and the only error I can find is the one in the

    > >log
    > >> below: "BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option

    > is
    > >> enabled. Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption."
    > >> I am using the Backup Database option (I believe). Does anyone know

    how
    > >> to disable the trunc.log on chkpt option? I don't know what sp_dboption

    > is
    > >> or where to find it.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Rhett
    > >>

    > >> Media Name: "Media created 2/2/01 08:29:00 PM"
    > >> Backup of "SYDNEY "
    > >> Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    > >> Backup set description: "New Sydney Nightly"
    > >> Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    > >> Backup started on 2/2/01 at 8:33:28 PM.
    > >>
    > >> An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    > >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >> SQL Server returned the following error message:
    > >>
    > >> BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    > >enabled.
    > >> Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    > >>
    > >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >> Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped.

  6. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7

    Hi Charles,

    I've done that too. Still nothing.

    Thanks anyway,
    Rhett

    "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >On the job settings, go to the SQLServer page and select 'backup database'
    >there. The option you are describing affects only the file portion of the
    >backup. It is a very confusing setup. It is easy to think you have
    >selected full/incr/diff for your entire backup set, only to find later the
    >SQL/Exchange agents are doing something else.
    >
    >Charles Villa
    >
    >"Rhett Redelings" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi Charles,
    >> I'm trying to do a Full (Reset Archive Bit) backup.
    >> Any other thoughts?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Rhett
    >>
    >> "Charles Villa" wrote:
    >> >It looks like you are trying to do an incremental or differential backup.
    >> >You can't do those when you have the truncate log option on. Either

    do
    >> full
    >> >backups only or turn off the truncate logs option.
    >> >
    >> >In either case, your next backup must be a full backup.
    >> >
    >> >Charles Villa
    >> >
    >> >"Rhett Redelings" wrote in message

    the
    >> >log

    >> is

    >how

    >> is

    >> >enabled.

  7. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7

    This time I paid attention when I read your log . And of course you did
    select full. Before I go any further, I don't use SQLServer so I don't have
    direct experience, I just remember some of the stuff that gone by in the
    newsgroup.

    In any case, you need to turn off the truncate logs option. That option is
    only used if you are not backing up and you need to remove old logs. SQL
    server will automatically remove logs on full and incremental backups.

    I'm not sure why the agent requested a 'BACKUP LOG' instead of a 'BACKUP
    DATABASE'. Did you select a file group instead of a database? I have heard
    that doesn't work well. Try scanning previous messages in the newsgroup.

    If those don't work you'll have to ask again so someone else can help.

    > Hi Charles,
    >
    > I've done that too. Still nothing.
    >
    > Thanks anyway,
    > Rhett

  8. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7 with BENT 8.5

    The symptons sound like you have not selected the database. Check
    selections by looking at Properties on the job, then Selections, then click
    Text Version. It should say \, i.e.,
    \MCSMS1\testdatabase, and nothing else.

    Alex

    > Oh, by the way, I'm using BENT 8.5 on a Windows NT4.0, SP6a Compaq1850R.
    > Thanks again,
    > Rhett
    > >
    > >My backups keep failing and the only error I can find is the one in the

    > log
    > >below: "BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option

    > is
    > >enabled. Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption."
    > >I am using the Backup Database option (I believe). Does anyone know how
    > >to disable the trunc.log on chkpt option? I don't know what sp_dboption

    > is
    > >or where to find it.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Rhett
    > >

    > >Media Name: "Media created 2/2/01 08:29:00 PM"
    > >Backup of "SYDNEY "
    > >Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    > >Backup set description: "New Sydney Nightly"
    > >Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    > >Backup started on 2/2/01 at 8:33:28 PM.
    > >
    > >An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    > >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >SQL Server returned the following error message:
    > >
    > >BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    enabled.
    > >Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    > >
    > >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped.

  9. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7 with BENT 8.5

    Been Wrestling with this problem myself.
    Tis a SQL 7 Thing. According to many sources, SQL 7 does not allow a database
    backup with the Trunc. log on chkpt. option on.
    Uncheck it and run your backups. It'll go flawlessly.
    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >The symptons sound like you have not selected the database. Check
    >selections by looking at Properties on the job, then Selections, then click
    >Text Version. It should say \, i.e.,
    >\MCSMS1\testdatabase, and nothing else.
    >
    >Alex
    >
    >"Rhett Redelings" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Oh, by the way, I'm using BENT 8.5 on a Windows NT4.0, SP6a Compaq1850R.
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Rhett
    >> >
    >> >My backups keep failing and the only error I can find is the one in the

    >> log
    >> >below: "BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option

    >> is
    >> >enabled. Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption."
    >> >I am using the Backup Database option (I believe). Does anyone know

    how
    >> >to disable the trunc.log on chkpt option? I don't know what sp_dboption

    >> is
    >> >or where to find it.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks,
    >> >Rhett
    >> >

    >> >Media Name: "Media created 2/2/01 08:29:00 PM"
    >> >Backup of "SYDNEY "
    >> >Backup set #3 on storage media #1
    >> >Backup set description: "New Sydney Nightly"
    >> >Backup Type: DATABASE - Back Up Entire Database
    >> >Backup started on 2/2/01 at 8:33:28 PM.
    >> >
    >> >An error occurred on a query to filegroup msdb..PRIMARY.
    >> >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> >SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >> >
    >> >BACKUP LOG is not allowed while the trunc. log on chkpt. option is

    >enabled.
    >> >Use BACKUP DATABASE or disable the option using sp_dboption.
    >> >
    >> >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> >Unable to open the item msdb?PRIMARY - skipped.

  10. Re: Unable to backup SQL 7 with BENT 8.5

    I have done backups with BENT on a SQL7 database many times and the truncate
    log on checkpoint option is selected. I have also tested the restore. Just
    select the database, not the filegroup.

    Alex

    "Nick Cappello" wrote in message

    > Been Wrestling with this problem myself.
    > Tis a SQL 7 Thing. According to many sources, SQL 7 does not allow a

    database
    > backup with the Trunc. log on chkpt. option on.
    > Uncheck it and run your backups. It'll go flawlessly.
    > "Alex Moore" wrote:
    > >The symptons sound like you have not selected the database. Check
    > >selections by looking at Properties on the job, then Selections, then

    click
    > >Text Version. It should say \, i.e.,
    > >\MCSMS1\testdatabase, and nothing else.
    > >
    > >Alex
    > >
    > >"Rhett Redelings" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Oh, by the way, I'm using BENT 8.5 on a Windows NT4.0, SP6a

    Compaq1850R.
    > >> Thanks again,
    > >> Rhett

    the