Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello all, This is my first message to the list. I'm trying to install Veritas Backup Exec (ver. 8.5) on one of our two WinNT Servers (Service Pack-6a) that's currently using WinNT's backup program. During the installation it doesn't detect ...

  1. Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched

    Hello all,

    This is my first message to the list.

    I'm trying to install Veritas Backup Exec (ver. 8.5) on one of our two
    WinNT Servers (Service Pack-6a) that's currently using WinNT's backup
    program. During the installation it doesn't detect our external Exabyte
    Tape Device (model = EXB-8505XLe, 8mm, SCSI) on SCSI ID 4. Keep in mind
    that in the past WinNT's backup software saw the device and it would
    perform successful backups. I've read a few messages here on the list
    and referenced Veritas web site and so far I'm still stomped.

    Here's the message I'm trying to troubleshoot:

    Scanning Hardware

    Finding tape devices ...
    Finding VERITAS device drivers ...
    Do NOT know how to parse "oem0.inf"
    Some hardware not matched
    Hardware scan complete

    I've tried running the and (location:
    x:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT) and they both proved useless;
    they just wouldn't run.

    Any thoughts?

    ~Sheldon
    Computer Administrator

  2. Re: Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched

    Is your tape on the Compatibilty list?

    http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm

    Ken McNulty

  3. Re: Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched

    I surely did check Veritas's Compatibility Lists before consulting
    anyone. As said before, the external tape device is an Exabyte (model =>
    EXB-8505XLE).

    ~Sheldon Rogers

    Ken McNulty wrote:

    > Is your tape on the Compatibilty list?
    >
    > http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm
    >
    > Ken McNulty

  4. Re: Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched

    Hmmmm.....

    I just thought of something. Is it possible that Backup Exec (ver.8.5)
    doesn't like EXTERNAL tape drives?

    Sheldon Rogers wrote:

    > I surely did check Veritas's Compatibility Lists before consulting
    > anyone. As said before, the external tape device is an Exabyte (model =>
    > EXB-8505XLE).
    >
    > ~Sheldon Rogers
    >
    > Ken McNulty wrote:
    >
    > > Is your tape on the Compatibilty list?
    > >
    > > http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm
    > >
    > > Ken McNulty

  5. Re: Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched

    Shouldn't make a difference if it's external or internal, the driver is the
    same for the same device.

    Sheldon Rogers wrote:

    > Hmmmm.....
    >
    > I just thought of something. Is it possible that Backup Exec (ver.8.5)
    > doesn't like EXTERNAL tape drives?
    >
    > Sheldon Rogers wrote:
    >
    > > I surely did check Veritas's Compatibility Lists before consulting
    > > anyone. As said before, the external tape device is an Exabyte (model =>
    > > EXB-8505XLE).
    > >
    > > ~Sheldon Rogers
    > >
    > > Ken McNulty wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is your tape on the Compatibilty list?
    > > >
    > > > http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm
    > > >
    > > > Ken McNulty

  6. Re: Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched

    Has anyone ever resolved this? I am having the same problem
    with an Archive Python 06408. This does not show up in the compatibility
    list, but I talked to Dell, the maker of this server with this drive,
    they state that it is actually a STD2401LW made by Seagate.
    The system is seeing it as the Archive Python though. If I manually
    add the driver from Seagate and then I scan for hardware in the
    Device driver installer for Backup Exec v8.5 there is 2 lines for
    hardware. The Archive Python has the location [1,0,6,0], but
    Current Driver has nothing. But the other line has location [-1,-1,-1,-1]
    and Inquiry Data is blank, but the current driver has a file name.
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Sheldon Rogers wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > This is my first message to the list.
    >
    > I'm trying to install Veritas Backup Exec (ver. 8.5) on one of our two
    > WinNT Servers (Service Pack-6a) that's currently using WinNT's backup
    > program. During the installation it doesn't detect our external Exabyte
    > Tape Device (model = EXB-8505XLe, 8mm, SCSI) on SCSI ID 4. Keep in mind
    > that in the past WinNT's backup software saw the device and it would
    > perform successful backups. I've read a few messages here on the list
    > and referenced Veritas web site and so far I'm still stomped.
    >
    > Here's the message I'm trying to troubleshoot:
    >
    > Scanning Hardware
    >
    > Finding tape devices ...
    > Finding VERITAS device drivers ...
    > Do NOT know how to parse "oem0.inf"
    > Some hardware not matched
    > Hardware scan complete
    >
    > I've tried running the and (location:
    > x:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT) and they both proved useless;
    > they just wouldn't run.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > ~Sheldon
    > Computer Administrator

  7. Re: Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched

    I think Dell are engaging in semantics here. It clearly is not "really" an
    STD2401LW or it would be presenting itself to the system as such. It
    "really" is an Archive Python, which is based on an STD2401. That's a bit
    like saying Concord is really a Rolls Royce because it has Rolls Royce
    engines. It may be only some form of ID in the firmware, but it has
    obviously been modified sufficiently for it no longer to be recognized as
    its original form. If it tells the system and BE that it is an Archive
    Python and BE doesn't know about Archive Pythons, then that's that. You
    can't tell software, "Honest Guv', it's an STD in disguise, it really is!".
    The firmware modifications may mean that it's no longer compatible with the
    STD drivers. We have the same thing with our Compaq 4000's which are
    supposedly really Quantum 4000's. However they aren't just Quantums in a
    Compaq badged box. They present themselves as Compaqs and, when I queried
    Quantum about their firmware levels, I was told I would have to see Compaq
    about that. So much for them being "really" Quantums. Quantum couldn't even
    tell me about the firmware. Fortunately, we don't have a problem with
    compatibility, BE recognizes both Compaq 4000's and Quantum 4000's (if
    they're "really" the same, why does it recognize both ?)

    So, what do you do? Get an approved drive, basically. Persuade Dell to swap
    it for a genuine STD would be the best bet, but I doubt you'll succeed.
    Corporate blindness won't let that happen.
    Either that, or badger Veritas into supplying a compatible driver or include
    your tape in it's compatibility tables. Have you tried their support
    http://support.veritas.com You might get somewhere, but I'm afraid if it's
    not on their compatibility list ...

    One last thought. Have you tried installing the (Archive ?, Python?) drivers
    that came with the drive. Have you tried to use this combination with both
    Backup Exec and NT Backup. If the worst comes to the worst, maybe you have
    to abandon BE and run backups using NT Backup. You can set up command line
    batch jobs and schedule them using the AT command.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help, hopefully I'm wrong, but ...

    Ken McNulty

    Mike Lazlo wrote in message
    > Has anyone ever resolved this? I am having the same problem
    > with an Archive Python 06408. This does not show up in the compatibility
    > list, but I talked to Dell, the maker of this server with this drive,
    > they state that it is actually a STD2401LW made by Seagate.
    > The system is seeing it as the Archive Python though. If I manually
    > add the driver from Seagate and then I scan for hardware in the
    > Device driver installer for Backup Exec v8.5 there is 2 lines for
    > hardware. The Archive Python has the location [1,0,6,0], but
    > Current Driver has nothing. But the other line has location [-1,-1,-1,-1]
    > and Inquiry Data is blank, but the current driver has a file name.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Sheldon Rogers wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > This is my first message to the list.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to install Veritas Backup Exec (ver. 8.5) on one of our two
    > > WinNT Servers (Service Pack-6a) that's currently using WinNT's backup
    > > program. During the installation it doesn't detect our external Exabyte
    > > Tape Device (model = EXB-8505XLe, 8mm, SCSI) on SCSI ID 4. Keep in mind
    > > that in the past WinNT's backup software saw the device and it would
    > > perform successful backups. I've read a few messages here on the list
    > > and referenced Veritas web site and so far I'm still stomped.
    > >
    > > Here's the message I'm trying to troubleshoot:
    > >
    > > Scanning Hardware
    > >
    > > Finding tape devices ...
    > > Finding VERITAS device drivers ...
    > > Do NOT know how to parse "oem0.inf"
    > > Some hardware not matched
    > > Hardware scan complete
    > >
    > > I've tried running the and (location:
    > > x:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT) and they both proved useless;
    > > they just wouldn't run.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    > >
    > > ~Sheldon
    > > Computer Administrator

  8. Re: Tape Drive: Some hardware not matched

    Depending on the position of jumper 10 on the drive it will be identified
    as a python or an STD (Seagate). This determines the inqury string that it
    uses. The python string is usally used for OEM applications. I do not work
    or speak for Dell but I do beleive they are correct it is a STD2104LW.

+ Reply to Thread