Physical Volume Library Drive not found - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Physical Volume Library Drive not found - Veritas Backup Exec ; "new" install of Backup Exec 7.0 rev. 719 Single Server This message is appearing in NT Event Viewer: A service specific error has occurred. BackupExecDeviceMediaService error: 203 StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed. This message in the Backup Exec log after attempted backup job: ...

  1. Physical Volume Library Drive not found

    "new" install of Backup Exec 7.0 rev. 719 Single Server

    This message is appearing in NT Event Viewer:

    A service specific error has occurred. BackupExecDeviceMediaService error:
    203 StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed.

    This message in the Backup Exec log after attempted backup job:

    Unable to mount specified medium.
    Physical Volume Library Drive not found.

    I searched the support.veritas.com site and verified the media set is configured,
    checked overwrite, etc... It seems like BE is not finding the tape drive.
    I cannot even inventory the drive. Does anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks for any help,
    Jason

  2. Re: Physical Volume Library Drive not found

    Have you tried deleting and re-defining the tape device?

    I'd also highly recommend the free upgrade to V7.01/Build 1616

    Also got a hit referencing a problem fixex in NT4 SP4. What service
    pack do you have on the server?

    BNT72I03 (English/Intel) and BNT72ACC from the downloads page. Download
    and expand to the same empty directory. DO NOT just run setup, as this
    will begin installing V7.2, which will not accept your V7 serial(s).
    Instead, run "SETUP -FSETUP701.INS"

    Also got a hit referencing a problem fixed in NT4 SP4. What service

    Jason Philipp wrote:

    > "new" install of Backup Exec 7.0 rev. 719 Single Server
    >
    > This message is appearing in NT Event Viewer:
    >
    > A service specific error has occurred. BackupExecDeviceMediaService error:
    > 203 StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed.
    >
    > This message in the Backup Exec log after attempted backup job:
    >
    > Unable to mount specified medium.
    > Physical Volume Library Drive not found.
    >
    > I searched the support.veritas.com site and verified the media set is configured,
    > checked overwrite, etc... It seems like BE is not finding the tape drive.
    > I cannot even inventory the drive. Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Jason

  3. Re: Physical Volume Library Drive not found

    I did try removing and readding, even tried changing drivers. Just uninstalled,
    going to reinstall now. I'll try the update to 7.01 / 1616 then. The server
    is running SP5. Thanks!

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Have you tried deleting and re-defining the tape device?
    >
    >I'd also highly recommend the free upgrade to V7.01/Build 1616
    >
    >Also got a hit referencing a problem fixex in NT4 SP4. What service
    >pack do you have on the server?
    >
    >BNT72I03 (English/Intel) and BNT72ACC from the downloads page. Download
    >and expand to the same empty directory. DO NOT just run setup, as this
    >will begin installing V7.2, which will not accept your V7 serial(s).
    >Instead, run "SETUP -FSETUP701.INS"
    >
    >Also got a hit referencing a problem fixed in NT4 SP4. What service
    >pack do you have on the server?
    >
    >Jason Philipp wrote:
    >>
    >> "new" install of Backup Exec 7.0 rev. 719 Single Server
    >>
    >> This message is appearing in NT Event Viewer:
    >>
    >> A service specific error has occurred. BackupExecDeviceMediaService error:
    >> 203 StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed.
    >>
    >> This message in the Backup Exec log after attempted backup job:
    >>
    >> Unable to mount specified medium.
    >> Physical Volume Library Drive not found.
    >>
    >> I searched the support.veritas.com site and verified the media set is

    configured,
    >> checked overwrite, etc... It seems like BE is not finding the tape drive.
    >> I cannot even inventory the drive. Does anyone have any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >> Jason

+ Reply to Thread