drive pool empty or does not contain ... Again!! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on drive pool empty or does not contain ... Again!! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Although someone asked this in December, it doesn't seem to have been answered. Using BE 8.5 under Win2000 Server, I also get "Drive pool empty error messages for my cascaded pools, along with occasional odd behavior that may or may ...

  1. drive pool empty or does not contain ... Again!!

    Although someone asked this in December, it doesn't seem to have
    been answered. Using BE 8.5 under Win2000 Server, I also get
    "Drive pool empty error messages for my cascaded pools, along
    with occasional odd behavior that may or may not be related.
    Creating new drive pools and moving the drives into them will
    temporarily resolve the problem, but only until the next logon.
    Does anyone know what causes this erroneous message and how to
    fix it permanently?

  2. Re: drive pool empty or does not contain ... Again!!

    I have the same thing. Selecting Tools/Options/any tab gives "The drive pool
    you have selected is either empty or does not contain any drives that are
    accessible from this server..."
    Tech support has not a clue. I think this is interfering with my overwrite/append
    strategy, but can't get past it. Guess I'll delete the pool and reestablish
    it again. Do you know if it is necessary to go back and reconfig existing
    job defs when you do this?

    "Melissa C. Winans" wrote:

    >Although someone asked this in December, it doesn't seem to have
    >been answered. Using BE 8.5 under Win2000 Server, I also get
    >"Drive pool empty error messages for my cascaded pools, along
    >with occasional odd behavior that may or may not be related.
    >Creating new drive pools and moving the drives into them will
    >temporarily resolve the problem, but only until the next logon.
    >Does anyone know what causes this erroneous message and how to
    >fix it permanently?

  3. Re: drive pool empty or does not contain ... Again!!

    I doubt that deleting and recreating the drive pool will do you much
    good; I tried doing that several times and the next time I logged on the
    error message would always be back again. Reinstalling the software did
    not fix the problem either. However, it did finally clear up when I
    added an autoloader to the system, at which time I deleted one of the
    two existing cascaded pools and added its drives to the other cascaded
    pool. It may or may not be significant that the default "All Drives"
    pool was empty until I got the Autoloader, but now has the autoloader in
    it.

    I did not find the presence of the error message to have any effect on
    overwrite/append strategies or other parts of my setup, so I just
    ignored it.

    If you do decide to delete and recreate, your existing jobs will either
    revert to whatever is the default (most often "All Drives"), or keep
    their old, no longer valid, value. So yes, you may have to do some
    reconfiguring of existing jobs.

    Ray Gay wrote:

    > I have the same thing. Selecting Tools/Options/any tab gives "The drive pool
    > you have selected is either empty or does not contain any drives that are
    > accessible from this server..."
    > Tech support has not a clue. I think this is interfering with my overwrite/append
    > strategy, but can't get past it. Guess I'll delete the pool and reestablish
    > it again. Do you know if it is necessary to go back and reconfig existing
    > job defs when you do this?
    >
    > "Melissa C. Winans" wrote:
    > >
    > >Although someone asked this in December, it doesn't seem to have
    > >been answered. Using BE 8.5 under Win2000 Server, I also get
    > >"Drive pool empty error messages for my cascaded pools, along
    > >with occasional odd behavior that may or may not be related.
    > >Creating new drive pools and moving the drives into them will
    > >temporarily resolve the problem, but only until the next logon.
    > >Does anyone know what causes this erroneous message and how to
    > >fix it permanently?

    Melissa C. Winans, Senior LAN Administrator (mcwinans@mail.utexas.edu)
    Texas Memorial Museum of Science & History Phone: 512-232-4263
    University of Texas at Austin Fax: 512-471-6090
    JJPRC, 10100 Burnet Rd, Bldg 122 http:\\www.utexas.edu\depts\tmm\
    Austin, Texas, 78758-4445

  4. Re: drive pool empty or does not contain ... Again!!

    I had the same issue.

    The solution for me was to start the restore, then, after I've selected what to restore, go to "Device" in the sidebar, then manually choose the device pool that I actually backed up to. For me, it was defaulting to "All Virtual Disks", which is incorrect. It should have been "All Devices".

+ Reply to Thread