Two odd BENT behaviors - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Two odd BENT behaviors - Veritas Backup Exec ; Good morning, I've found this list to be an inexhaustible supply of technical knowledge conerning BENT and all it's related quirks. Ken and Charles, you guys do good work. Thanks. Now, on to my problems: I've noticed two odd behaviors ...

  1. Two odd BENT behaviors

    Good morning,

    I've found this list to be an inexhaustible supply of technical knowledge
    conerning BENT and all it's related quirks. Ken and Charles, you guys do
    good work. Thanks.

    Now, on to my problems: I've noticed two odd behaviors with BENT, one that
    has recently surfaced since I finally got the backup jobs to report
    "Successful" messages in the logs after 3 months of wrestling with them.

    1) During the initial job load process, it takes, on average, 30 minutes to
    queue the tape up before it kicks off the first backup set. Normally it
    would only take 1-2 minutes to load the tape and start the backup but this
    is becoming more and more of a nagging point with me. Anyone else seen this
    behavior with BENT?

    2) The final verify of the last backup set finished about 4:30 am but I'm
    noticing the job continues to run for another 3 hours before ending and
    giving me the much-heralded "Successful" message. My question is: what in
    the world is BENT doing during those three hours? I'm considering having to
    move my backups forward a few hours just to make sure that it's finished by
    the time I get in.

    Thanks for all your input.

    Clint Avant
    Network Administrator
    YardConnect.com
    http://www.yardconnect.com

  2. Re: Two odd BENT behaviors

    It's nice to be appreciated

    1) If you have "Display Progress Indicators" enabled from
    tools/OPtions/general, BENT will follow all directory trees on all
    drives scheduled for backups to get the dumber of files and sizes. if
    your backup contains network shares, this can take a lot of time.
    several years ago, I had one server that didn't start backing up for
    almost 50 minutes (8 remote servers over 1 10MB link)

    2) Remove "eject on end" from your job description and eject manually.
    BENT keeps the job 'running' until the prompt to remove the tape has
    been answered. Or if you really don't mind possible missing some alerts
    check http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm
    for some registry tweaks.

    Clint Avant wrote:

    > Good morning,
    >
    > I've found this list to be an inexhaustible supply of technical knowledge
    > conerning BENT and all it's related quirks. Ken and Charles, you guys do
    > good work. Thanks.
    >
    > Now, on to my problems: I've noticed two odd behaviors with BENT, one that
    > has recently surfaced since I finally got the backup jobs to report
    > "Successful" messages in the logs after 3 months of wrestling with them.
    >
    > 1) During the initial job load process, it takes, on average, 30 minutes to
    > queue the tape up before it kicks off the first backup set. Normally it
    > would only take 1-2 minutes to load the tape and start the backup but this
    > is becoming more and more of a nagging point with me. Anyone else seen this
    > behavior with BENT?
    >
    > 2) The final verify of the last backup set finished about 4:30 am but I'm
    > noticing the job continues to run for another 3 hours before ending and
    > giving me the much-heralded "Successful" message. My question is: what in
    > the world is BENT doing during those three hours? I'm considering having to
    > move my backups forward a few hours just to make sure that it's finished by
    > the time I get in.
    >
    > Thanks for all your input.
    >
    > Clint Avant
    > Network Administrator