AutoLoader Slots & Backup Strategy - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on AutoLoader Slots & Backup Strategy - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a new Overland Data 19-slot AIT-2 Autoloader and would like to configure BE 8.5 for a typical "Grandfather" backup strategy. How do I configure the differential "job" (Mon - Thur) to use the media in slot 1 for ...

  1. AutoLoader Slots & Backup Strategy

    I have a new Overland Data 19-slot AIT-2 Autoloader and would like to configure
    BE 8.5 for a typical "Grandfather" backup strategy. How do I configure the
    differential "job" (Mon - Thur) to use the media in slot 1 for Monday's backup,
    slot 2 for Tuesday's backup, etc? Do I need a different job for each day
    of the week or can BE 8.5 be configured to use a different slot for each
    day's media?

  2. Re: AutoLoader Slots & Backup Strategy

    I just finished setting up different jobs to use different Partitions for
    each day. If right click on the name of the changer, you have an option
    to create partitions. Then under each job, you can tell it to use a specific
    partition when the job runs. Granted, this means that you have a job for
    each slot.

    "Jeff Lynch" wrote:

    >I have a new Overland Data 19-slot AIT-2 Autoloader and would like to configure
    >BE 8.5 for a typical "Grandfather" backup strategy. How do I configure the
    >differential "job" (Mon - Thur) to use the media in slot 1 for Monday's

    backup,
    >slot 2 for Tuesday's backup, etc? Do I need a different job for each day
    >of the week or can BE 8.5 be configured to use a different slot for each
    >day's media?

  3. Re: AutoLoader Slots & Backup Strategy

    You could try placing scatch or empty media in a media set assigned to Differential
    backups. Then run Monday's job, etc. Of course this assumes that the media
    are in the same order as the physical slots, i.e. oldest in Slot 1, then
    next oldest.

    "Matt" wrote:

    >I just finished setting up different jobs to use different Partitions for
    >each day. If right click on the name of the changer, you have an option
    >to create partitions. Then under each job, you can tell it to use a specific
    >partition when the job runs. Granted, this means that you have a job for
    >each slot.
    >
    >"Jeff Lynch" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a new Overland Data 19-slot AIT-2 Autoloader and would like to configure
    >>BE 8.5 for a typical "Grandfather" backup strategy. How do I configure

    the
    >>differential "job" (Mon - Thur) to use the media in slot 1 for Monday's

    >backup,
    >>slot 2 for Tuesday's backup, etc? Do I need a different job for each day
    >>of the week or can BE 8.5 be configured to use a different slot for each
    >>day's media?

+ Reply to Thread