Backup Exec does not recognize tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec does not recognize tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Backup exec does not recognize that there is a tape inserted int the tape drive. This is not tape specific as I have tried several good tapes. In the device screen, the drive is "Empty". However, in the restore screen ...

  1. Backup Exec does not recognize tapes

    Backup exec does not recognize that there is a tape inserted int the tape
    drive. This is not tape specific as I have tried several good tapes. In the
    device screen, the drive is "Empty". However, in the restore screen I can
    still browse through previous backups. This may be that this info is not
    actually stored on the tape (?).
    The primary problem is that any backup or restore operation open start immediately
    goes to a pending status.
    When I insert a tape, the drive seems to be able to read as it makes the
    usual scanning noises.

    Any ideas?

    Steve

  2. Re: Backup Exec does not recognize tapes

    Have you inventoried the drive?

    Devices tab->Right click on Drive->Inventory

    Laurence Hartje

    "Steve" wrote in message news:3a5b5818@hronntp01....

    > Backup exec does not recognize that there is a tape inserted int the tape
    > drive. This is not tape specific as I have tried several good tapes. In

    the
    > device screen, the drive is "Empty". However, in the restore screen I can
    > still browse through previous backups. This may be that this info is not
    > actually stored on the tape (?).
    > The primary problem is that any backup or restore operation open start

    immediately
    > goes to a pending status.
    > When I insert a tape, the drive seems to be able to read as it makes the
    > usual scanning noises.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Steve

  3. Re: Backup Exec does not recognize tapes

    I had a problem similiar to that it doesn't like any new tape I've inserted
    into my DLT tape. What I had to do was replace a file within backupexec
    directory. I called my tape drive manufacturer but they can't figure it out
    either so I did some research and found out that you need to do the
    following:

    stop all BENT services
    rename the old plv.mdb file in the \data directory
    copy default from your install media
    restart all services

    ying thao

    "Steve" wrote in message news:3a5b5818@hronntp01....

    > Backup exec does not recognize that there is a tape inserted int the tape
    > drive. This is not tape specific as I have tried several good tapes. In

    the
    > device screen, the drive is "Empty". However, in the restore screen I can
    > still browse through previous backups. This may be that this info is not
    > actually stored on the tape (?).
    > The primary problem is that any backup or restore operation open start

    immediately
    > goes to a pending status.
    > When I insert a tape, the drive seems to be able to read as it makes the
    > usual scanning noises.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Steve

  4. Re: Backup Exec does not recognize tapes

    "Steve" wrote:

    >Backup exec does not recognize that there is a tape inserted int the tape
    >drive. This is not tape specific as I have tried several good tapes. In

    the
    >device screen, the drive is "Empty". However, in the restore screen I can
    >still browse through previous backups. This may be that this info is not
    >actually stored on the tape (?).
    >The primary problem is that any backup or restore operation open start immediately
    >goes to a pending status.
    >When I insert a tape, the drive seems to be able to read as it makes the
    >usual scanning noises.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Steve

    You can try to do a quick erase of the tape, if that's possible
    and then label it ,it worked for us

+ Reply to Thread