Inconsistent SQL 6.5 Database Restore - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Inconsistent SQL 6.5 Database Restore - Veritas Backup Exec ; Due to a little Problem we had to Restore a Database on 40 Servers (The whole DB not only Tables). The Backup from that day was reported to be ok. The Restore was without failures on all servers (in the ...

  1. Inconsistent SQL 6.5 Database Restore

    Due to a little Problem we had to Restore a Database on 40 Servers (The whole
    DB not only Tables). The Backup from that day was reported to be ok.
    The Restore was without failures on all servers (in the job log from BE).
    Just when we did a DBCC after the Restore, we had an inconsistency reportet
    on 10 of the 40 Servers.
    We are using BE 7.3 Build 2575 with SQL Agent on NT 4SP5 Machines. The Database
    is SQL Server 6.5 SP5a.
    All DB Backups are performed with DBCC before the Backup and no problems
    are reported during Backup.
    We tried to recover the DB from a dump that we had on the Harddisk and there
    was no failure even after running a DBCC, so it should be a problem concerning
    BE or the SQL Agent.
    Any ideas?
    BTW, the user running the Services is Domain Admin AND has the right to access
    the Database.

    Thanks for any help

    Martin

  2. Re: Inconsistent SQL 6.5 Database Restore

    Exactly what is the error message. Were the devices created exactly the
    same as they were at the time of the backup? I keep the output from
    sp_help_revdatabase current in order to properly recreate the devices. Alex

    "Martin Baertl" wrote in message

    > Due to a little Problem we had to Restore a Database on 40 Servers (The

    whole
    > DB not only Tables). The Backup from that day was reported to be ok.
    > The Restore was without failures on all servers (in the job log from BE).
    > Just when we did a DBCC after the Restore, we had an inconsistency

    reportet
    > on 10 of the 40 Servers.
    > We are using BE 7.3 Build 2575 with SQL Agent on NT 4SP5 Machines. The

    Database
    > is SQL Server 6.5 SP5a.
    > All DB Backups are performed with DBCC before the Backup and no problems
    > are reported during Backup.
    > We tried to recover the DB from a dump that we had on the Harddisk and

    there
    > was no failure even after running a DBCC, so it should be a problem

    concerning
    > BE or the SQL Agent.
    > Any ideas?
    > BTW, the user running the Services is Domain Admin AND has the right to

    access
    > the Database.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Martin

  3. Re: Inconsistent SQL 6.5 Database Restore

    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >Exactly what is the error message. Were the devices created exactly the
    >same as they were at the time of the backup? I keep the output from
    >sp_help_revdatabase current in order to properly recreate the devices.

    Alex

    >"Martin Baertl" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Due to a little Problem we had to Restore a Database on 40 Servers (The

    >whole
    >> DB not only Tables). The Backup from that day was reported to be ok.
    >> The Restore was without failures on all servers (in the job log from BE).
    >> Just when we did a DBCC after the Restore, we had an inconsistency

    >reportet
    >> on 10 of the 40 Servers.
    >> We are using BE 7.3 Build 2575 with SQL Agent on NT 4SP5 Machines. The

    >Database
    >> is SQL Server 6.5 SP5a.
    >> All DB Backups are performed with DBCC before the Backup and no problems
    >> are reported during Backup.
    >> We tried to recover the DB from a dump that we had on the Harddisk and

    >there
    >> was no failure even after running a DBCC, so it should be a problem

    >concerning
    >> BE or the SQL Agent.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> BTW, the user running the Services is Domain Admin AND has the right to

    >access
    >> the Database.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
    >>
    >> Martin

  4. RE: Inconsistent SQL 6.5 Database Restore

    The new Device has been created exactly as the old one. We did the restore
    with the option redirect DB.
    The restore was successfull and without any error or warning.
    We did a DBCC using a SQL-script after the restore and had in 10 from about
    40 cases several error messages like the following:

    2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 Getpage: bstat=0x1008/0, sstat=0x80000000,
    disk
    2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 pageno is/should be: objid is/should be:
    2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 0(0) 0(0)
    2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 0x284a7(165031) 0xa7d9a4a(176003658)
    2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 ... page header is all zeroes

    All new DBs on all Servers have been created the same way. I am very curious
    why it worked in several cases but not in all.
    Lukily we made a dump to disk on the day and saved this dump to tape. From
    this dump we could restore the DB without any errors. The dump has been made
    few hours after the backup using BE, so the DB wasn't inconsistent at this
    time and the DBCC before the backup didn't show any errors too.
    But it is NOT a solution to make a dump every day. For what did we purchase
    the SQL Agent if it isnt working and we have to do dumps to disk anyway?

    Martin

    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >Exactly what is the error message. Were the devices created exactly the
    >same as they were at the time of the backup? I keep the output from
    >sp_help_revdatabase current in order to properly recreate the devices.

    Alex

    >"Martin Baertl" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Due to a little Problem we had to Restore a Database on 40 Servers (The

    >whole
    >> DB not only Tables). The Backup from that day was reported to be ok.
    >> The Restore was without failures on all servers (in the job log from BE).
    >> Just when we did a DBCC after the Restore, we had an inconsistency

    >reportet
    >> on 10 of the 40 Servers.
    >> We are using BE 7.3 Build 2575 with SQL Agent on NT 4SP5 Machines. The

    >Database
    >> is SQL Server 6.5 SP5a.
    >> All DB Backups are performed with DBCC before the Backup and no problems
    >> are reported during Backup.
    >> We tried to recover the DB from a dump that we had on the Harddisk and

    >there
    >> was no failure even after running a DBCC, so it should be a problem

    >concerning
    >> BE or the SQL Agent.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> BTW, the user running the Services is Domain Admin AND has the right to

    >access
    >> the Database.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help
    >>
    >> Martin

  5. Re: Inconsistent SQL 6.5 Database Restore

    Sounds like you did everything correctly Martin. I have not tried a
    redirect DB restore on BE. I have restored a database several times without
    a problem or I would not be using the SQL agent. I have yet to get log
    backups to work properly when the backup spans tapes.

    I will try a restore with the redirect option. I have only SQL7 and SQL8.
    The only SQL 6.5 machine that I support uses dump to disk and BE is not
    loaded, so I cannot try to repro your scenario. Alex

    > The new Device has been created exactly as the old one. We did the restore
    > with the option redirect DB.
    > The restore was successfull and without any error or warning.
    > We did a DBCC using a SQL-script after the restore and had in 10 from

    about
    > 40 cases several error messages like the following:
    >
    > 2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 Getpage: bstat=0x1008/0, sstat=0x80000000,
    > disk
    > 2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 pageno is/should be: objid is/should be:
    > 2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 0(0) 0(0)
    > 2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 0x284a7(165031) 0xa7d9a4a(176003658)
    > 2001/01/05 09:55:22.48 spid565 ... page header is all zeroes
    >
    > All new DBs on all Servers have been created the same way. I am very

    curious
    > why it worked in several cases but not in all.
    > Lukily we made a dump to disk on the day and saved this dump to tape. From
    > this dump we could restore the DB without any errors. The dump has been

    made
    > few hours after the backup using BE, so the DB wasn't inconsistent at this
    > time and the DBCC before the backup didn't show any errors too.
    > But it is NOT a solution to make a dump every day. For what did we

    purchase
    > the SQL Agent if it isnt working and we have to do dumps to disk anyway?
    >
    > Martin
    >
    > "Alex Moore" wrote:
    > >Exactly what is the error message. Were the devices created exactly the
    > >same as they were at the time of the backup? I keep the output from
    > >sp_help_revdatabase current in order to properly recreate the devices.

    > Alex
    > >
    > >"Martin Baertl" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Due to a little Problem we had to Restore a Database on 40 Servers (The

    > >whole
    > >> DB not only Tables). The Backup from that day was reported to be ok.
    > >> The Restore was without failures on all servers (in the job log from

    BE).
    > >> Just when we did a DBCC after the Restore, we had an inconsistency

    > >reportet
    > >> on 10 of the 40 Servers.
    > >> We are using BE 7.3 Build 2575 with SQL Agent on NT 4SP5 Machines. The

    > >Database
    > >> is SQL Server 6.5 SP5a.
    > >> All DB Backups are performed with DBCC before the Backup and no

    problems
    > >> are reported during Backup.
    > >> We tried to recover the DB from a dump that we had on the Harddisk and

    > >there
    > >> was no failure even after running a DBCC, so it should be a problem

    > >concerning
    > >> BE or the SQL Agent.
    > >> Any ideas?
    > >> BTW, the user running the Services is Domain Admin AND has the right to

    > >access
    > >> the Database.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help
    > >>
    > >> Martin