Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are backing up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all the network servers except the Citrix server. One of ...

  1. Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are backing
    up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all the
    network servers except the Citrix server. One of our NT servers is getting
    speeds of 25 - 40 mb/min , compared to 100- 200 for the other NT servers.
    Even our citrix server that does not have an accelerator installed is doubling
    the speed of the problem server. I have checked all the nics and they are
    all set at 100 full duplex. I have the server on a intel 510 switch. I have
    also tried hardware compresssion, but got overall better results from software
    compression ( 2 hours less time). The problem server is no more than 6 months
    old, while the others are all at least 2 years. Is this a scsi problem or
    a switch problem or what? Thanks.

  2. Re: Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    We have BE installed on one server and are backing up the data to a dlt library.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Are these all being backed up to one server, or do they all have BENT
    >installed locally?
    >

    >kevin feck wrote:
    >>
    >> I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are backing
    >> up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all

    the
    >> network servers except the Citrix server. One of our NT servers is getting
    >> speeds of 25 - 40 mb/min , compared to 100 - 200 for the other NT servers.
    >> Even our citrix server that does not have an accelerator installed is

    doubling
    >> the speed of the problem server. I have checked all the nics and they

    are
    >> all set at 100 full duplex. I have the server on a intel 510 switch. I

    have
    >> also tried hardware compresssion, but got overall better results from

    software
    >> compression ( 2 hours less time). The problem server is no more than 6

    months
    >> old, while the others are all at least 2 years. Is this a scsi problem

    or
    >> a switch problem or what? Thanks.

  3. Re: Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    kevin feck wrote:

    > I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are backing
    > up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all the
    > network servers except the Citrix server. One of our NT servers is getting
    > speeds of 25 - 40 mb/min , compared to 100 - 200 for the other NT servers.
    > Even our citrix server that does not have an accelerator installed is doubling
    > the speed of the problem server. I have checked all the nics and they are
    > all set at 100 full duplex. I have the server on a intel 510 switch. I have
    > also tried hardware compresssion, but got overall better results from software
    > compression ( 2 hours less time). The problem server is no more than 6 months
    > old, while the others are all at least 2 years. Is this a scsi problem or
    > a switch problem or what? Thanks.

  4. Re: Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    Had similar problem and it was a matter of matching the NIC speed to the
    port speed on the switch.
    "kevin feck" wrote in message

    > We have BE installed on one server and are backing up the data to a dlt

    library.

    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Are these all being backed up to one server, or do they all have BENT
    > >installed locally?
    > >

    > >kevin feck wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are

    backing
    > >> up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all

    > the
    > >> network servers except the Citrix server. One of our NT servers is

    getting
    > >> speeds of 25 - 40 mb/min , compared to 100 - 200 for the other NT

    servers.
    > >> Even our citrix server that does not have an accelerator installed is

    > doubling
    > >> the speed of the problem server. I have checked all the nics and they

    > are
    > >> all set at 100 full duplex. I have the server on a intel 510 switch. I

    > have
    > >> also tried hardware compresssion, but got overall better results from

    > software
    > >> compression ( 2 hours less time). The problem server is no more than 6

    > months
    > >> old, while the others are all at least 2 years. Is this a scsi problem

    > or
    > >> a switch problem or what? Thanks.

  5. Re: Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    These servers are all roughly equivalent?
    same CPUs same RAM same NICS?
    How long has it been since the slow sever has been defragged?
    Is/Are there any other scheduled tasks that might be running and doing
    disk IO at the same time (AV Scan, Defrag, ??)

    kevin feck wrote:

    > We have BE installed on one server and are backing up the data to a dlt library.
    >
    > Ken Putnam wrote:
    > >Are these all being backed up to one server, or do they all have BENT
    > >installed locally?
    > >

    > >kevin feck wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are backing
    > >> up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all

    > the
    > >> network servers except the Citrix server. One of our NT servers is getting
    > >> speeds of 25 - 40 mb/min , compared to 100 - 200 for the other NT servers.
    > >> Even our citrix server that does not have an accelerator installed is

    > doubling
    > >> the speed of the problem server. I have checked all the nics and they

    > are
    > >> all set at 100 full duplex. I have the server on a intel 510 switch. I

    > have
    > >> also tried hardware compresssion, but got overall better results from

    > software
    > >> compression ( 2 hours less time). The problem server is no more than 6

    > months
    > >> old, while the others are all at least 2 years. Is this a scsi problem

    > or
    > >> a switch problem or what? Thanks.

  6. Re: Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    Do you have any type of anti-virus software running on the slow server? I
    had a similiar problem last summer when we upgraded or Trend Server-Protect,
    during the upgrade Trend set the real-time scan engine to both incoming &
    outgoing, thus before the file could be backed up it was getting scanned by
    the anti-virus software. went from 250mb/min to about 45mb/min.

    Just a thought.

    -Ken Higdon

    "kevin feck" wrote in message

    > I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are backing
    > up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all

    the
    > network servers except the Citrix server. One of our NT servers is getting
    > speeds of 25 - 40 mb/min , compared to 100- 200 for the other NT servers.
    > Even our citrix server that does not have an accelerator installed is

    doubling
    > the speed of the problem server. I have checked all the nics and they are
    > all set at 100 full duplex. I have the server on a intel 510 switch. I

    have
    > also tried hardware compresssion, but got overall better results from

    software
    > compression ( 2 hours less time). The problem server is no more than 6

    months
    > old, while the others are all at least 2 years. Is this a scsi problem or
    > a switch problem or what? Thanks.

  7. Re: Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    Nope, no virus scanning engine on this machine.

    &
    >outgoing, thus before the file could be backed up it was getting scanned

    by
    >the anti-virus software. went from 250mb/min to about 45mb/min.
    >
    >Just a thought.
    >
    >-Ken Higdon
    >

    >"kevin feck" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are backing
    >> up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all

    >the
    >> network servers except the Citrix server. One of our NT servers is getting
    >> speeds of 25 - 40 mb/min , compared to 100- 200 for the other NT servers.
    >> Even our citrix server that does not have an accelerator installed is

    >doubling
    >> the speed of the problem server. I have checked all the nics and they

    are
    >> all set at 100 full duplex. I have the server on a intel 510 switch. I

    >have
    >> also tried hardware compresssion, but got overall better results from

    >software
    >> compression ( 2 hours less time). The problem server is no more than 6

    >months
    >> old, while the others are all at least 2 years. Is this a scsi problem

    or
    >> a switch problem or what? Thanks.

  8. Re: Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    Same deal over here. Just last week, Citrix was backing up approx 230mb plus
    and all of a sudden, it went to 34 (roughly). I haven't uninstalled/reinstalled
    the remote agent yet, but will try.

    "kevin feck" wrote:

    >Nope, no virus scanning engine on this machine.
    >

    >"Ken Higdon" wrote:
    >>Do you have any type of anti-virus software running on the slow server?

    >>had a similiar problem last summer when we upgraded or Trend Server-Protect,
    >>during the upgrade Trend set the real-time scan engine to both incoming

    >&
    >>outgoing, thus before the file could be backed up it was getting scanned

    >by
    >>the anti-virus software. went from 250mb/min to about 45mb/min.
    >>
    >>Just a thought.
    >>
    >>-Ken Higdon
    >>

    >>"kevin feck" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I am having a big problem. We are running BE 8.5 on NT4.0. We are backing
    >>> up 4 NT servers and 1 citrix server. We have accelerators set up on all

    >>the
    >>> network servers except the Citrix server. One of our NT servers is getting
    >>> speeds of 25 - 40 mb/min , compared to 100- 200 for the other NT servers.
    >>> Even our citrix server that does not have an accelerator installed is

    >>doubling
    >>> the speed of the problem server. I have checked all the nics and they

    >are
    >>> all set at 100 full duplex. I have the server on a intel 510 switch.

    >>have
    >>> also tried hardware compresssion, but got overall better results from

    >>software
    >>> compression ( 2 hours less time). The problem server is no more than

    6
    >>months
    >>> old, while the others are all at least 2 years. Is this a scsi problem

    >or
    >>> a switch problem or what? Thanks.

  9. Re: Please Help!!!! Slow Throughput

    If this is a network backup, verify that Auto-Negotiate is NOT enabled on
    the ServerMICs and switch ports.

    "Shay" wrote:

    >Same deal over here. Just last week, Citrix was backing up approx 230mb

    plus
    >and all of a sudden, it went to 34 (roughly). I haven't uninstalled/reinstalled
    >the remote agent yet, but will try.

+ Reply to Thread