Problem with cataloging tapes that have been re-labeled - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Problem with cataloging tapes that have been re-labeled - Veritas Backup Exec ; I ran a backup on 27/12/2000 which completed successfully. I then re-labeled the tapes and put them away. Now when I want to restore from them, I cant! there are no catalogs available for that tape set and cant run ...

  1. Problem with cataloging tapes that have been re-labeled

    I ran a backup on 27/12/2000 which completed successfully. I then re-labeled
    the tapes and put them away. Now when I want to restore from them, I cant!
    there are no catalogs available for that tape set and cant run a catalog
    on the tape as it tells me there are no backup sets available...

    Surely re-labeling a tape doesnt wipe it, does it?

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Problem with cataloging tapes that have been re-labeled

    Someone else should confirm this. The 'Label Media' function writes a new
    label, which does make the tape blank. It seems like Ken or someone posted
    a way to recover the data from a labelled tape. I could be wrong though.
    Alex

    "Jeff Barber" wrote in message

    > I ran a backup on 27/12/2000 which completed successfully. I then

    re-labeled
    > the tapes and put them away. Now when I want to restore from them, I

    cant!
    > there are no catalogs available for that tape set and cant run a catalog
    > on the tape as it tells me there are no backup sets available...
    >
    > Surely re-labeling a tape doesnt wipe it, does it?
    >
    > Any ideas?

  3. Re: Problem with cataloging tapes that have been re-labeled

    It depends on how your "re-labeling" the tape. If on the devices tab you
    select a tape, right-click, and change the name of the tape on the general
    tab that won't wipe away the tape and the catalogs should be intact. If
    however you select a tape, right-click and choose label media, yes that will
    re-label the tape and also erase the tape in the process.
    >"Alex Moore" wrote:
    >Someone else should confirm this. The 'Label Media' function writes a new
    >label, which does make the tape blank. It seems like Ken or someone posted
    >a way to recover the data from a labelled tape. I could be wrong though.
    >Alex
    >
    >"Jeff Barber" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I ran a backup on 27/12/2000 which completed successfully. I then

    >re-labeled
    >> the tapes and put them away. Now when I want to restore from them, I

    >cant!
    >> there are no catalogs available for that tape set and cant run a catalog
    >> on the tape as it tells me there are no backup sets available...
    >>
    >> Surely re-labeling a tape doesnt wipe it, does it?
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

  4. Re: Problem with cataloging tapes that have been re-labeled

    As I've said before, I've never used this, but someone paid the $89 to
    Veritas and got this response

    (From Backup Exec Support)

    Open Backup Exec, go to tools/options.
    Go to Catalog tab.
    Uncheck the option to "Use Storage Media-Based catalogs",
    Then inventory/catalog the tape.
    This will allow the software to create a catalog of the tape, file for
    file.

    If the catalog does not appear in restore selections.
    Close Backup Exec, stop all BENT services in the Control Panel.
    Open the Explorer and go to \program files\veritas\backup exec\nt.
    Rename the Catalogs folder to catalogs_old
    Start all BENT services and Open BE.
    Then inventory/catalog the tape, with the above option unselected.

    To return to your saved catalogs, delete the catalogs directory and
    rename catalogs_old to catalogs.

    Alex Moore wrote:

    > Someone else should confirm this. The 'Label Media' function writes a new
    > label, which does make the tape blank. It seems like Ken or someone posted
    > a way to recover the data from a labelled tape. I could be wrong though.
    > Alex
    >
    > "Jeff Barber" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I ran a backup on 27/12/2000 which completed successfully. I then

    > re-labeled
    > > the tapes and put them away. Now when I want to restore from them, I

    > cant!
    > > there are no catalogs available for that tape set and cant run a catalog
    > > on the tape as it tells me there are no backup sets available...
    > >
    > > Surely re-labeling a tape doesnt wipe it, does it?
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

  5. Re: Problem with cataloging tapes that have been re-labeled

    Jeff Barber wrote:

    > I ran a backup on 27/12/2000 which completed successfully. I then re-labeled
    > the tapes and put them away. Now when I want to restore from them, I cant!
    > there are no catalogs available for that tape set and cant run a catalog
    > on the tape as it tells me there are no backup sets available...
    >
    > Surely re-labeling a tape doesnt wipe it, does it?
    >
    > Any ideas?

  6. Re: Problem with cataloging tapes that have been re-labeled

    Yes, labeling is the same as quick formatting a tape in DOS (it will ask you
    to name the volume much like labeling a tape). Sorry...

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >As I've said before, I've never used this, but someone paid the $89 to
    >Veritas and got this response
    >
    >(From Backup Exec Support)
    >
    >Open Backup Exec, go to tools/options.
    >Go to Catalog tab.
    >Uncheck the option to "Use Storage Media-Based catalogs",
    >Then inventory/catalog the tape.
    >This will allow the software to create a catalog of the tape, file for
    >file.
    >
    >If the catalog does not appear in restore selections.
    >Close Backup Exec, stop all BENT services in the Control Panel.
    >Open the Explorer and go to \program files\veritas\backup exec\nt.
    >Rename the Catalogs folder to catalogs_old
    >Start all BENT services and Open BE.
    >Then inventory/catalog the tape, with the above option unselected.
    >
    >To return to your saved catalogs, delete the catalogs directory and
    >rename catalogs_old to catalogs.
    >

    >Alex Moore wrote:
    >>
    >> Someone else should confirm this. The 'Label Media' function writes a

    new
    >> label, which does make the tape blank. It seems like Ken or someone posted
    >> a way to recover the data from a labelled tape. I could be wrong though.
    >> Alex
    >>
    >> "Jeff Barber" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I ran a backup on 27/12/2000 which completed successfully. I then

    >> re-labeled
    >> > the tapes and put them away. Now when I want to restore from them,

    >> cant!
    >> > there are no catalogs available for that tape set and cant run a catalog
    >> > on the tape as it tells me there are no backup sets available...
    >> >
    >> > Surely re-labeling a tape doesnt wipe it, does it?
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread