Media Sets - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media Sets - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have two backup jobs that I run on an NT server using a 5 slot autoloader. The first of these backups uses only one tape, the second uses three. I created a media set for the second backup job, ...

  1. Media Sets

    I have two backup jobs that I run on an NT server using a 5 slot autoloader.
    The first of these backups uses only one tape, the second uses three. I
    created a media set for the second backup job, and seperated the tapes used
    for this job from the default Media Set 1.

    When I ran these backup jobs, they ignored the media sets and pulled
    whatever media was first from the autoloader, rather than what was in the
    media set defined for their job.

    Perhaps I'm missing the obvious here, but I need to be able to place media
    in the autoloader and trust it to use the correct tapes for the job. Any
    suggestions?

  2. Re: Media Sets

    You need to partition the autoloader to do what you want. For BENT 8.5,
    this can be done from the gui. A tape is assigned to a media set when the
    tape is loaded for a job. It sounds like you want a slot assigned to a job.
    After creating the partition, assign the partition to the job.

    Alex

    "Chris Mathis" wrote in message
    > I have two backup jobs that I run on an NT server using a 5 slot

    autoloader.
    > The first of these backups uses only one tape, the second uses three. I
    > created a media set for the second backup job, and seperated the tapes

    used
    > for this job from the default Media Set 1.
    >
    > When I ran these backup jobs, they ignored the media sets and pulled
    > whatever media was first from the autoloader, rather than what was in the
    > media set defined for their job.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm missing the obvious here, but I need to be able to place media
    > in the autoloader and trust it to use the correct tapes for the job. Any
    > suggestions?

  3. Re: Media Sets

    from Tools/Options/Media Overwrite, verify that the "overwrite options"
    is set to the 2nd option "Overwrite recycleable media in the target
    media set before scratch media"

    either that, or partition the loader so that jobs go to specific slots.

    Chris Mathis wrote:

    > I have two backup jobs that I run on an NT server using a 5 slot autoloader.
    > The first of these backups uses only one tape, the second uses three. I
    > created a media set for the second backup job, and seperated the tapes used
    > for this job from the default Media Set 1.
    >
    > When I ran these backup jobs, they ignored the media sets and pulled
    > whatever media was first from the autoloader, rather than what was in the
    > media set defined for their job.
    >
    > Perhaps I'm missing the obvious here, but I need to be able to place media
    > in the autoloader and trust it to use the correct tapes for the job. Any
    > suggestions?

  4. Re: Media Sets

    Hi Alex.

    I've done that with mine; I have a PowerVault with 7 media slots. Two are
    configured for incremental, the other 5, in the front, are for the full backup
    at the end of the week.

    For some strange reason, this weekend the Full Backup job grabbed Media in
    Slot 2, not Slot 1. Any ideas on why? I did a quick erase of all 5 media
    slots and moved the tapes from Scratch into that partition.

    Thx for the help.

    Bill

    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >You need to partition the autoloader to do what you want. For BENT 8.5,
    >this can be done from the gui. A tape is assigned to a media set when the
    >tape is loaded for a job. It sounds like you want a slot assigned to a

    job.
    >After creating the partition, assign the partition to the job.
    >
    >Alex
    >
    >"Chris Mathis" wrote in message
    >> I have two backup jobs that I run on an NT server using a 5 slot

    >autoloader.
    >> The first of these backups uses only one tape, the second uses three.

    >> created a media set for the second backup job, and seperated the tapes

    >used
    >> for this job from the default Media Set 1.
    >>
    >> When I ran these backup jobs, they ignored the media sets and pulled
    >> whatever media was first from the autoloader, rather than what was in

    the
    >> media set defined for their job.
    >>
    >> Perhaps I'm missing the obvious here, but I need to be able to place media
    >> in the autoloader and trust it to use the correct tapes for the job.

    Any
    >> suggestions?

  5. Re: Media Sets

    I see. No real ideas. I have a different autoloader and sometimes slot(s)
    with scratch media are skipped, like 4,5,6 all have scratch media, 3 fills
    up and 6 is loaded and the backup continues. After 6 is full, 4 may be
    loaded. Sounds like what you are seeing and I have not been able to figure
    out the logic behind this. Alex

    "Bill Beeskow" wrote in message

    > Hi Alex.
    >
    > I've done that with mine; I have a PowerVault with 7 media slots. Two are
    > configured for incremental, the other 5, in the front, are for the full

    backup
    > at the end of the week.
    >
    > For some strange reason, this weekend the Full Backup job grabbed Media in
    > Slot 2, not Slot 1. Any ideas on why? I did a quick erase of all 5 media
    > slots and moved the tapes from Scratch into that partition.
    >
    > Thx for the help.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > "Alex Moore" wrote:
    > >You need to partition the autoloader to do what you want. For BENT 8.5,
    > >this can be done from the gui. A tape is assigned to a media set when

    the
    > >tape is loaded for a job. It sounds like you want a slot assigned to a

    > job.
    > >After creating the partition, assign the partition to the job.
    > >
    > >Alex
    > >
    > >"Chris Mathis" wrote in message
    > >> I have two backup jobs that I run on an NT server using a 5 slot

    > >autoloader.
    > >> The first of these backups uses only one tape, the second uses three.

    > >> created a media set for the second backup job, and seperated the tapes

    > >used
    > >> for this job from the default Media Set 1.
    > >>
    > >> When I ran these backup jobs, they ignored the media sets and pulled
    > >> whatever media was first from the autoloader, rather than what was in

    > the
    > >> media set defined for their job.
    > >>
    > >> Perhaps I'm missing the obvious here, but I need to be able to place

    media
    > >> in the autoloader and trust it to use the correct tapes for the job.

    > Any
    > >> suggestions?

  6. Re: Media Sets

    Actually there is no media in the 'Scratch' area. All of that has been moved
    out into the User Media Set I defined.

    You would think if a backup job is set to use media in, for example, MediaSet1,
    that it would take the first tape available for writing to out of that set
    and follow a sequential order in writing to the remainder of the tapes in
    that set.

    Was that clear or did I just muddy it up more?

    Bill
    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >I see. No real ideas. I have a different autoloader and sometimes slot(s)
    >with scratch media are skipped, like 4,5,6 all have scratch media, 3 fills
    >up and 6 is loaded and the backup continues. After 6 is full, 4 may be
    >loaded. Sounds like what you are seeing and I have not been able to figure
    >out the logic behind this. Alex
    >
    >"Bill Beeskow" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi Alex.
    >>
    >> I've done that with mine; I have a PowerVault with 7 media slots. Two

    are
    >> configured for incremental, the other 5, in the front, are for the full

    >backup
    >> at the end of the week.
    >>
    >> For some strange reason, this weekend the Full Backup job grabbed Media

    in
    >> Slot 2, not Slot 1. Any ideas on why? I did a quick erase of all 5 media
    >> slots and moved the tapes from Scratch into that partition.
    >>
    >> Thx for the help.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >> >You need to partition the autoloader to do what you want. For BENT 8.5,
    >> >this can be done from the gui. A tape is assigned to a media set when

    >the
    >> >tape is loaded for a job. It sounds like you want a slot assigned to

    >> job.
    >> >After creating the partition, assign the partition to the job.
    >> >
    >> >Alex
    >> >
    >> >"Chris Mathis" wrote in message
    >> >autoloader.

    >> >used

    in
    >> the

    >media

    >> Any

  7. Re: Media Sets

    I think that it is clear Bill and yes, your example would seem logical. I
    got my autoloader only a short while ago and will probably see the same as
    you next week. I have only two magazines and am about a week from filling
    the second. Media from the first magazine is still in the media set and
    about to expire the overwrite protection time. Previously, I just moved the
    media to Scratch. Now, I may leave the media as is and see what happens.

    > Actually there is no media in the 'Scratch' area. All of that has been

    moved
    > out into the User Media Set I defined.
    >
    > You would think if a backup job is set to use media in, for example,

    MediaSet1,
    > that it would take the first tape available for writing to out of that set
    > and follow a sequential order in writing to the remainder of the tapes in
    > that set.
    >
    > Was that clear or did I just muddy it up more?
    >
    > Bill
    > "Alex Moore" wrote:
    > >I see. No real ideas. I have a different autoloader and sometimes

    slot(s)
    > >with scratch media are skipped, like 4,5,6 all have scratch media, 3

    fills
    > >up and 6 is loaded and the backup continues. After 6 is full, 4 may be
    > >loaded. Sounds like what you are seeing and I have not been able to

    figure
    > >out the logic behind this. Alex
    > >
    > >"Bill Beeskow" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Hi Alex.
    > >>
    > >> I've done that with mine; I have a PowerVault with 7 media slots. Two

    > are
    > >> configured for incremental, the other 5, in the front, are for the full

    > >backup
    > >> at the end of the week.
    > >>
    > >> For some strange reason, this weekend the Full Backup job grabbed Media

    > in
    > >> Slot 2, not Slot 1. Any ideas on why? I did a quick erase of all 5

    media
    > >> slots and moved the tapes from Scratch into that partition.
    > >>
    > >> Thx for the help.
    > >>
    > >> Bill

    8.5,

    > >the

    > >> job.

    three.

    tapes

    > in
    > >> the

    > >media
    > >> Any

  8. Re: Media Sets

    Okay. Perhaps we could go to lunch someday and compare notes. I'm located
    at Cool Springs; how about you?

    Bill
    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >I think that it is clear Bill and yes, your example would seem logical.

    >got my autoloader only a short while ago and will probably see the same

    as
    >you next week. I have only two magazines and am about a week from filling
    >the second. Media from the first magazine is still in the media set and
    >about to expire the overwrite protection time. Previously, I just moved

    the
    >media to Scratch. Now, I may leave the media as is and see what happens.
    >Alex
    >
    >"Bill Beeskow" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Actually there is no media in the 'Scratch' area. All of that has been

    >moved
    >> out into the User Media Set I defined.
    >>
    >> You would think if a backup job is set to use media in, for example,

    >MediaSet1,
    >> that it would take the first tape available for writing to out of that

    set
    >> and follow a sequential order in writing to the remainder of the tapes

    in
    >> that set.
    >>
    >> Was that clear or did I just muddy it up more?
    >>
    >> Bill
    >> "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >> >I see. No real ideas. I have a different autoloader and sometimes

    >slot(s)
    >> >with scratch media are skipped, like 4,5,6 all have scratch media, 3

    >fills
    >> >up and 6 is loaded and the backup continues. After 6 is full, 4 may

    be
    >> >loaded. Sounds like what you are seeing and I have not been able to

    >figure
    >> >out the logic behind this. Alex
    >> >
    >> >"Bill Beeskow" wrote in message

    Two
    >> are

    full
    >> >backup

    >> in

    5
    >media

    >8.5,

    when
    >> >the

    >three.

    >tapes

    >> in

    >> >media

    job.

  9. Re: Media Sets

    That sounds great. I am near Antioch and go to Cool Springs often. I
    normally have lunch early, so just name the time and place. You can leave a
    message at 834-9855. Thanks, Alex

    > Okay. Perhaps we could go to lunch someday and compare notes. I'm

    located
    > at Cool Springs; how about you?
    >
    > Bill
    > "Alex Moore" wrote:
    > >I think that it is clear Bill and yes, your example would seem logical.

    > >got my autoloader only a short while ago and will probably see the same

    > as
    > >you next week. I have only two magazines and am about a week from

    filling
    > >the second. Media from the first magazine is still in the media set and
    > >about to expire the overwrite protection time. Previously, I just moved

    > the
    > >media to Scratch. Now, I may leave the media as is and see what happens.
    > >Alex
    > >
    > >"Bill Beeskow" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Actually there is no media in the 'Scratch' area. All of that has been

    > >moved
    > >> out into the User Media Set I defined.
    > >>
    > >> You would think if a backup job is set to use media in, for example,

    > >MediaSet1,
    > >> that it would take the first tape available for writing to out of that

    > set
    > >> and follow a sequential order in writing to the remainder of the tapes

    > in
    > >> that set.
    > >>
    > >> Was that clear or did I just muddy it up more?
    > >>
    > >> Bill

    > >slot(s)

    > >fills

    > be

    > >figure

    > Two
    > >> are

    > full

    Media
    > >> in

    > 5
    > >media

    > >8.5,

    > when

    > >three.

    > >tapes

    pulled

    was
    > >> in

    place

    > job.

  10. Re: Media Sets

    Hope someone can help, we want to create new jobs in BE 8.60, for each day
    of the week, but we want these jobs to be "hard-associated" to particular
    media as at the moment the jobs seem to be picking media randomly! So is
    there a way of making (for example) our Monday night job only back up onto
    a particular tape or two tapes- i.e only media that have the specified bar
    code? Please mail me (willis@matthey.com) if you can help- thank you.

    "Bill Beeskow" wrote:

    >Actually there is no media in the 'Scratch' area. All of that has been

    moved
    >out into the User Media Set I defined.
    >
    >You would think if a backup job is set to use media in, for example, MediaSet1,
    >that it would take the first tape available for writing to out of that set
    >and follow a sequential order in writing to the remainder of the tapes in
    >that set.
    >
    >Was that clear or did I just muddy it up more?
    >
    >Bill
    >"Alex Moore" wrote:
    >>I see. No real ideas. I have a different autoloader and sometimes slot(s)
    >>with scratch media are skipped, like 4,5,6 all have scratch media, 3 fills
    >>up and 6 is loaded and the backup continues. After 6 is full, 4 may be
    >>loaded. Sounds like what you are seeing and I have not been able to figure
    >>out the logic behind this. Alex
    >>
    >>"Bill Beeskow" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hi Alex.
    >>>
    >>> I've done that with mine; I have a PowerVault with 7 media slots. Two

    >are
    >>> configured for incremental, the other 5, in the front, are for the full

    >>backup
    >>> at the end of the week.
    >>>
    >>> For some strange reason, this weekend the Full Backup job grabbed Media

    >in
    >>> Slot 2, not Slot 1. Any ideas on why? I did a quick erase of all 5

    media
    >>> slots and moved the tapes from Scratch into that partition.
    >>>
    >>> Thx for the help.
    >>>
    >>> Bill

    8.5,

    >>the

    >>> job.

    >in
    >>> the

    >>media
    >>> Any

  11. Re: Media Sets

    You have a loader, I presume?

    Partition the loader so that each night's job (there will have to be one
    for each night) goes to a specific partition

+ Reply to Thread