Drivers?? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Drivers?? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm using an Ecrix VXA 8mm tape drive with Backup Exec v8.5 to backup three Win2k servers on our network. I just recently upgraded to v8.5 from v8.0 and was reminded about this question. Which drivers should I be using? ...

  1. Drivers??

    I'm using an Ecrix VXA 8mm tape drive with Backup Exec v8.5 to backup three
    Win2k servers on our network. I just recently upgraded to v8.5 from v8.0 and
    was reminded about this question.

    Which drivers should I be using? Those supplied by the manufacturer (Ecrix),
    or those provided by Veritas? Are there benefits to using the Veritas
    drivers? What are they?

    Thoughts anyone??

    Phil

  2. Re: Drivers??

    Generally, the MS drivers are more generic, and may have shorter time
    out periods.

    The Veritas drivers are supposedly tweaked to optimize performance with
    BENT

    The Manufacturer's drivers are optimized for that specific drive.

    Generally, I prefer to use mfg drivers (I seem to have no problems at
    all using the Compaq divers for my Compaq DLT3000/4000/7000

    Some people have reported that the "error on a request to query entity
    information" have been resolved by switching from the veritas drivers to
    native MS drivers.

    Bottom line:
    If you experience what might be driver related, try switching.

    Philip Rupp wrote:

    > I'm using an Ecrix VXA 8mm tape drive with Backup Exec v8.5 to backup three
    > Win2k servers on our network. I just recently upgraded to v8.5 from v8.0 and
    > was reminded about this question.
    >
    > Which drivers should I be using? Those supplied by the manufacturer (Ecrix),
    > or those provided by Veritas? Are there benefits to using the Veritas
    > drivers? What are they?
    >
    > Thoughts anyone??
    >
    > Phil

  3. Re: Drivers??

    Finally found my bookmark -

    go to http://support.veritas.com/main_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm
    and select the link in the lower right corner

    Philip Rupp wrote:

    > I'm using an Ecrix VXA 8mm tape drive with Backup Exec v8.5 to backup three
    > Win2k servers on our network. I just recently upgraded to v8.5 from v8.0 and
    > was reminded about this question.
    >
    > Which drivers should I be using? Those supplied by the manufacturer (Ecrix),
    > or those provided by Veritas? Are there benefits to using the Veritas
    > drivers? What are they?
    >
    > Thoughts anyone??
    >
    > Phil

+ Reply to Thread