Can't access mailboxes after service account change - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can't access mailboxes after service account change - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am using BE 7.2 and have been able to backup our Exchange mailboxes ever since installing BE, but I have now changed the service account form Administrator to a new user called "Backup" (password blank) and I can ...

  1. Can't access mailboxes after service account change

    Hi,

    I am using BE 7.2 and have been able to backup our Exchange mailboxes ever
    since installing BE, but I have now changed the service account form
    Administrator to a new user called "Backup" (password blank) and I can no
    longer access the mailboxes.

    Below is what I have checked.

    * All BE service's have been assigned the user Backup and password left
    blank
    * Have Outlook 2000 and profile created for Backup and set as default
    profile to be loaded
    * Have assigned Backup to the groups Administrator/Backup Operators/Domain
    Admins and Domain Users
    * Backup does have a valid mailbox and is owner of it
    * Have configured Exchange to give Backup the Admin role in the
    Site/Configuration/Server properties
    * Made sure Backup has access to the exchange folders on the hard disks.

    Once I did all these changes I stopped BE services and then restarted them,
    and still no access to the mailboxes.

    Anyone see anything I have missed, as to why it doesnt work with this
    account, but it does with the Administrator account. I know it must have
    something to do with rights, but where?

    TIA Marcus

  2. Re: Can't access mailboxes after service account change

    Hi Marcus,

    I struggled with this same problem for about 2 weeks with Veritas tech
    support and the thing we found was that not only does the backup services
    account require an Outlook profile setup for it's mailbox, you also have to
    setup a profile for the main domain administrator account to access that
    mailbox as well. This was an undocumented problem that the tech I spoke
    with said would be added to the knowledge base relatively soon. Try
    modifying your main domain admin account's Outlook profile to allow access
    to the service account's mailbox and you should be fine.

    Clint Avant
    Network Administrator
    YardConnect.com
    http://www.yardconnect.com

    "Marcus Dempsey" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using BE 7.2 and have been able to backup our Exchange mailboxes ever
    > since installing BE, but I have now changed the service account form
    > Administrator to a new user called "Backup" (password blank) and I can no
    > longer access the mailboxes.
    >
    > Below is what I have checked.
    >
    > * All BE service's have been assigned the user Backup and password left
    > blank
    > * Have Outlook 2000 and profile created for Backup and set as default
    > profile to be loaded
    > * Have assigned Backup to the groups Administrator/Backup Operators/Domain
    > Admins and Domain Users
    > * Backup does have a valid mailbox and is owner of it
    > * Have configured Exchange to give Backup the Admin role in the
    > Site/Configuration/Server properties
    > * Made sure Backup has access to the exchange folders on the hard disks.
    >
    > Once I did all these changes I stopped BE services and then restarted

    them,
    > and still no access to the mailboxes.
    >
    > Anyone see anything I have missed, as to why it doesnt work with this
    > account, but it does with the Administrator account. I know it must have
    > something to do with rights, but where?
    >
    > TIA Marcus

  3. Re: Can't access mailboxes after service account change

    I strongly suggest you don't use individual mailbox backups (unless you only
    need a few mailboxes). For true disaster recovery, you need to backup the
    Information Store (IS) and the Directory Store (DS). For details, please
    see my message dated 11/13/00 15:15 (EST) Re: restore PVL.MDB.

    Charles Villa

+ Reply to Thread