Slow backup with OnStream - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Slow backup with OnStream - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi! I'm running Veritas Backup Exec v 7.2 Rev 1223 on a NT 4 server with a OnStream SC-50 Firmware 1.08. The backup is taking surprisingly long time. I get a throughput rate of approx. 8 MB/min with software compression ...

  1. Slow backup with OnStream

    Hi!

    I'm running Veritas Backup Exec v 7.2 Rev 1223 on a NT 4 server with a OnStream
    SC-50 Firmware 1.08.
    The backup is taking surprisingly long time. I get a throughput rate of approx.
    8 MB/min with software compression so
    a 13 GB backup takes more than 24 hrs.
    Is there anyway to speed things up a bit?

    Thankful for suggestions
    Patric Wistrom
    patric.wistrom@svswx.svo.se

  2. Re: Slow backup with OnStream

    Is this a network or local backup?

    It won't make any difference in speed, but I highly recommend the free
    upgrade to V7.3/Build 2575 (BNT73I03 [for English/Intel] + POST2575 +
    revised SPANFIX from the downloads page)

    Patric Wistrom wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm running Veritas Backup Exec v 7.2 Rev 1223 on a NT 4 server with a OnStream
    > SC-50 Firmware 1.08.
    > The backup is taking surprisingly long time. I get a throughput rate of approx.
    > 8 MB/min with software compression so
    > a 13 GB backup takes more than 24 hrs.
    > Is there anyway to speed things up a bit?
    >
    > Thankful for suggestions
    > Patric Wistrom
    > patric.wistrom@svswx.svo.se

  3. Re: Slow backup with OnStream

    Just to give you some examples, I get as much as 279MB/Min locally and as
    little as 17.5 remotely (average remote is typically around 50MB/Min).

    You don't give any information to help explain your throughput - could be
    processor/memory or I/O bound - maybe even the tape device drivers.
    Remotely, well, lost of factors such as network bit rate, remote system
    performance (or lack thereof).

    "Patric Wistrom" wrote in message

    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm running Veritas Backup Exec v 7.2 Rev 1223 on a NT 4 server with a

    OnStream
    > SC-50 Firmware 1.08.
    > The backup is taking surprisingly long time. I get a throughput rate of

    approx.
    > 8 MB/min with software compression so
    > a 13 GB backup takes more than 24 hrs.
    > Is there anyway to speed things up a bit?
    >
    > Thankful for suggestions
    > Patric Wistrom
    > patric.wistrom@svswx.svo.se

+ Reply to Thread