Connection to device \\MACHINE\C$ has been lost - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Connection to device \\MACHINE\C$ has been lost - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm using Backup Exec 6.1 Rev. 060. I've just set it up to backup the My Documents folder on several of our NT4 machines. The backup is set to run each night. All the machines are powered on, but are ...

  1. Connection to device \\MACHINE\C$ has been lost

    I'm using Backup Exec 6.1 Rev. 060. I've just set it up to backup the My
    Documents folder on several of our NT4 machines. The backup is set to
    run each night. All the machines are powered on, but are not logged on
    to the network. When I check the job history in the morning I see that
    the job status is Failed. When I look at the log file I see that the
    data files on the server were backed up just fine, but I also see the
    following message for each of the clients:

    Connection to device \\MACHINE\C$ has been lost

    If I manually start the backup job during the day, when all the machines
    are on the network, it runs without a hitch.

    If it's possible to backup the clients when they are not logged onto the
    network, then how do I prevent the connection from being lost?

    If the clients must be logged onto the network, then I could create a
    separate backup job that runs during the day and backs up only the client
    machines. However, there will always be a few machines that are not
    logged onto the network. So, how do I prevent the lost connection from
    causing a Failed status for the backup job?

    --

    Please reply to the newsgroup so that all may learn
    from your wisdom.

    --Tom

  2. Re: Connection to device \\MACHINE\C$ has been lost

    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191844.htm
    point 2

    Thomas M wrote:

    > I'm using Backup Exec 6.1 Rev. 060. I've just set it up to backup the My
    > Documents folder on several of our NT4 machines. The backup is set to
    > run each night. All the machines are powered on, but are not logged on
    > to the network. When I check the job history in the morning I see that
    > the job status is Failed. When I look at the log file I see that the
    > data files on the server were backed up just fine, but I also see the
    > following message for each of the clients:
    >
    > Connection to device \\MACHINE\C$ has been lost
    >
    > If I manually start the backup job during the day, when all the machines
    > are on the network, it runs without a hitch.
    >
    > If it's possible to backup the clients when they are not logged onto the
    > network, then how do I prevent the connection from being lost?
    >
    > If the clients must be logged onto the network, then I could create a
    > separate backup job that runs during the day and backs up only the client
    > machines. However, there will always be a few machines that are not
    > logged onto the network. So, how do I prevent the lost connection from
    > causing a Failed status for the backup job?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Please reply to the newsgroup so that all may learn
    > from your wisdom.
    >
    > --Tom

  3. Re: Connection to device \\MACHINE\C$ has been lost

    In article <3A268CF0.5988EA8A@zd.com>, kputnam@zd.com says...
    > see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191844.htm
    > point 2

    Ya know, I have the TechNote search page and the TechNote for NT/Win2K
    bookmarked in IE. The problem is, I forgot that I had those bookmarks!
    Anyway, thanks for the pointer.

    --

    Please reply to the newsgroup so that all may learn
    from your wisdom.

    --Tom

  4. Re: Connection to device \\MACHINE\C$ has been lost

    In article <3A268CF0.5988EA8A@zd.com>, kputnam@zd.com says...
    > see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191844.htm
    > point 2

    I did some experimenting and finally got it working. It just took a
    while to figure out exactly what the article was telling me.

    For the benefit of those who are also struggling to figure this out,
    here's the short version:

    1) Create a Backup user account.
    2) Place the Backup account in the Domain Admins group.
    3) Make sure the Domain Admins group is part of the Backup Operators
    group.
    4) Make sure the Backup Exec services (Start | Settings | Control Panel |
    Services) log on using the Backup account, and be sure to supply the
    correct password for that account.

    Here's the long version:

    In the 3 Backup Exec services I had selected the option to log on as a
    system account, allowing the service to interact with the desktop. That
    didn't work so I decided to have the service log on as the administrator,
    figuring that the administrator account would have rights to backup the
    clients. It does not. It then occurred to me that I needed to add the
    administrator account to the Backup Operators group. When I did that, my
    backups started working.

    However, using the administrator account brings up another problem. If
    you change the password on the administrator account, you have to
    remember to go change the password on each of the Backup Exec services.
    Otherwise, Backup Exec will be unable to connect to the client machines.
    I don't trust myself to remember that the next time our administrator
    password changes. To remedy this I created a custom user account called
    Backup, and I added that account to the Backup Operators group. I then
    changed the Backup Exec services to log on using the Backup account. Now
    if the administrator password changes, I don't have to worry about
    changing it on the Backup Exec services.

    But doing this caused one more problem. My server froze yesterday and I
    had to do a reboot. When I came in this morning, I saw that the backup
    did not run last night. When I checked the Event Log I saw error
    messages indicating that the Backup Exec services had not started
    automatically after the reboot. Those error messages indicated that
    access to those services was denied. I figured that this was because the
    custom Backup account that I created was not part of the Domain Admins
    group. So I added the Backup account to the Domain Admins group. I then
    rebooted the server to test the change, and the Backup Exec services
    started automatically.

    --

    Please reply to the newsgroup so that all may learn
    from your wisdom.

    --Tom

+ Reply to Thread