SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm attempting to backup SQL databases located on a W2K Cluster. All the files on the Cluster are backing up just fine but when it comes time to backup the databases, I get the following error: An error occurred on ...

  1. SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    I'm attempting to backup SQL databases located on a W2K Cluster. All the
    files on the Cluster are backing up just fine but when it comes time to
    backup the databases, I get the following error:

    An error occurred on a query to database master.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Cannot open backup device
    '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.
    Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more
    details.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item master - skipped.

    When I check the SQL Server logs, I see the following:
    BackupPipeFile::OpenMedia: Backup device
    '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'
    failed to ConnectNamedPipe. Operating system error = 233(No process is on
    the other end of the pipe.).

    I do have the SQL agent installed as well as Remote Backup Agent installed
    on all clusters. Another SQL server we have in our network does get backed
    up successfully every night. I'm only having problems with the cluster.

    Heather Morris
    Technical Support
    InterTech USA
    http://www.intertech-usa.com

  2. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/230611.htm

    Heather Morris wrote:

    > I'm attempting to backup SQL databases located on a W2K Cluster. All the
    > files on the Cluster are backing up just fine but when it comes time to
    > backup the databases, I get the following error:
    >
    > An error occurred on a query to database master.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Cannot open backup device
    > '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.
    > Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more
    > details.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item master - skipped.
    >
    > When I check the SQL Server logs, I see the following:
    > BackupPipeFile::OpenMedia: Backup device
    > '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'
    > failed to ConnectNamedPipe. Operating system error = 233(No process is on
    > the other end of the pipe.).
    >
    > I do have the SQL agent installed as well as Remote Backup Agent installed
    > on all clusters. Another SQL server we have in our network does get backed
    > up successfully every night. I'm only having problems with the cluster.
    >
    > Heather Morris
    > Technical Support
    > InterTech USA
    > http://www.intertech-usa.com

  3. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    Hi Ken,
    The SQL agent is already installed and is successfully backing up another
    SQL server on our network. Any other ideas? Or should I try reinstalling
    the SQL agent? (maybe I'll do that anyway) Thanks for your help.

    Heather

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/230611.htm
    >
    > Heather Morris wrote:
    >
    > > I'm attempting to backup SQL databases located on a W2K Cluster. All

    the
    > > files on the Cluster are backing up just fine but when it comes time to
    > > backup the databases, I get the following error:
    > >
    > > An error occurred on a query to database master.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Cannot open backup device
    > > '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.
    > > Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more
    > > details.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Unable to open the item master - skipped.
    > >
    > > When I check the SQL Server logs, I see the following:
    > > BackupPipeFile::OpenMedia: Backup device
    > > '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'
    > > failed to ConnectNamedPipe. Operating system error = 233(No process is

    on
    > > the other end of the pipe.).
    > >
    > > I do have the SQL agent installed as well as Remote Backup Agent

    installed
    > > on all clusters. Another SQL server we have in our network does get

    backed
    > > up successfully every night. I'm only having problems with the cluster.
    > > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Heather Morris
    > > Technical Support
    > > InterTech USA
    > > http://www.intertech-usa.com

  4. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    For those of you that may be looking for a solution to this problem, I
    finally figured out the answer. I didn't have Cluster Administrator
    installed on the Backup Exec server.

    After successfully installing Cluster Administrator, my SQL backups worked
    beautifully.

    > Hi Ken,
    > The SQL agent is already installed and is successfully backing up another
    > SQL server on our network. Any other ideas? Or should I try reinstalling
    > the SQL agent? (maybe I'll do that anyway) Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Heather
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/230611.htm
    > >
    > > Heather Morris wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm attempting to backup SQL databases located on a W2K Cluster. All

    > the
    > > > files on the Cluster are backing up just fine but when it comes time

    > > > backup the databases, I get the following error:
    > > >
    > > > An error occurred on a query to database master.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Cannot open backup device

    '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.
    > > > Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more
    > > > details.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Unable to open the item master - skipped.
    > > >
    > > > When I check the SQL Server logs, I see the following:
    > > > BackupPipeFile::OpenMedia: Backup device

    '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'
    > > > failed to ConnectNamedPipe. Operating system error = 233(No process is

    > on
    > > > the other end of the pipe.).
    > > >
    > > > I do have the SQL agent installed as well as Remote Backup Agent

    > installed
    > > > on all clusters. Another SQL server we have in our network does get

    > backed
    > > > up successfully every night. I'm only having problems with the

    cluster.
    > > > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Heather Morris
    > > > Technical Support
    > > > InterTech USA
    > > > http://www.intertech-usa.com

  5. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    I have the same problem but BackupExec and SQL 2000 are both installed on
    the same Cluster Node.
    SQL 2000 ist installed as instances SQL1 and SQL2 (no default Instance).
    Backup of Instance SQL1 which is owned by the other node is working.

    Any other Suggestions to solve this issues?

    Regards
    Martin

    "Heather Morris" wrote:
    >For those of you that may be looking for a solution to this problem, I
    >finally figured out the answer. I didn't have Cluster Administrator
    >installed on the Backup Exec server.
    >
    >After successfully installing Cluster Administrator, my SQL backups worked
    >beautifully.

    >> Hi Ken,
    >> The SQL agent is already installed and is successfully backing up another
    >> SQL server on our network. Any other ideas? Or should I try reinstalling
    >> the SQL agent? (maybe I'll do that anyway) Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> Heather
    >>
    >> "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >> > see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/230611.htm

    All
    >> the

    >'\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.

    more

    >'\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'

    is
    >> on

    >> installed

    >> backed

    >cluster.

  6. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    Have you read this article? http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191511.htm
    Did you create an alias for the SQL2 instance in Client Network Utlity?

    Alex

    "Martin Sitte" wrote in message

    > I have the same problem but BackupExec and SQL 2000 are both installed on
    > the same Cluster Node.
    > SQL 2000 ist installed as instances SQL1 and SQL2 (no default Instance).
    > Backup of Instance SQL1 which is owned by the other node is working.
    >
    > Any other Suggestions to solve this issues?
    >
    > Regards
    > Martin
    >
    > "Heather Morris" wrote:
    > >For those of you that may be looking for a solution to this problem, I
    > >finally figured out the answer. I didn't have Cluster Administrator
    > >installed on the Backup Exec server.
    > >
    > >After successfully installing Cluster Administrator, my SQL backups

    worked
    > >beautifully.

    > >> Hi Ken,
    > >> The SQL agent is already installed and is successfully backing up

    another
    > >> SQL server on our network. Any other ideas? Or should I try

    reinstalling
    > >> the SQL agent? (maybe I'll do that anyway) Thanks for your help.
    > >>
    > >> Heather
    > >>
    > >> "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > All
    > >> the

    time

    > >'\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.

    > more

    > >'\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'

    > is
    > >> on

    > >> installed

    get
    > >> backed

    > >cluster.

  7. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    Alex,

    do I need to create an SQL Alias name to get BackupExec working correctly?
    The problem described in the article you mentioned describes another problem.
    The error messages I get are the same as describes in this message below.

    Regards
    Martin

    "Alex Moore" wrote:
    >Have you read this article? http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191511.htm
    >Did you create an alias for the SQL2 instance in Client Network Utlity?
    >
    >Alex
    >
    >"Martin Sitte" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have the same problem but BackupExec and SQL 2000 are both installed

    on
    >> the same Cluster Node.
    >> SQL 2000 ist installed as instances SQL1 and SQL2 (no default Instance).
    >> Backup of Instance SQL1 which is owned by the other node is working.
    >>
    >> Any other Suggestions to solve this issues?
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Martin
    >>
    >> "Heather Morris" wrote:
    >> >For those of you that may be looking for a solution to this problem,

    >> >finally figured out the answer. I didn't have Cluster Administrator
    >> >installed on the Backup Exec server.
    >> >
    >> >After successfully installing Cluster Administrator, my SQL backups

    >worked
    >> >beautifully.

    >another

    >reinstalling

    >> All

    >time

    >> >'\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.

    >> more

    >> >'\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'

    >> is

    >get
    >> >cluster.

  8. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    Yes, I believe so. I have not worked directly with clusters, but I think
    that you have 2 instances of of the same SQL8 database(s). In order for
    BENT to connect to a specific instance, there should be an alias. I hope
    that I am correct on this subject. If it still does not work, I would post
    to the MS sqlserver.server newsgroup. There are several very good folks
    that frequent that newsgroup that are experienced with clusters.

    Also, BENT is going to need 2 SQL Agent serial numbers for your setup. Let
    us know how this works out.

    > Alex,
    >
    > do I need to create an SQL Alias name to get BackupExec working correctly?
    > The problem described in the article you mentioned describes another

    problem.
    > The error messages I get are the same as describes in this message below.
    >
    > Regards
    > Martin
    >
    > "Alex Moore" wrote:
    > >Have you read this article?

    > >Did you create an alias for the SQL2 instance in Client Network Utlity?
    > >
    > >Alex
    > >
    > >"Martin Sitte" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I have the same problem but BackupExec and SQL 2000 are both installed

    > on
    > >> the same Cluster Node.
    > >> SQL 2000 ist installed as instances SQL1 and SQL2 (no default

    Instance).
    > >> Backup of Instance SQL1 which is owned by the other node is working.
    > >>
    > >> Any other Suggestions to solve this issues?
    > >>
    > >> Regards
    > >> Martin

    > >worked

    > >another

    > >reinstalling

    > >> All

    > >time

    >'\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.

    for
    > >> more

    >'\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'

    process
    > >> is

    > >get

  9. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    Ditto here. Any helpful ideas? The suggestions from tech support didn't
    help any.

    "Heather Morris" wrote in message
    > I'm attempting to backup SQL databases located on a W2K Cluster. All the
    > files on the Cluster are backing up just fine but when it comes time to
    > backup the databases, I get the following error:
    >
    > An error occurred on a query to database master.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Cannot open backup device
    > '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'.
    > Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more
    > details.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item master - skipped.
    >
    > When I check the SQL Server logs, I see the following:
    > BackupPipeFile::OpenMedia: Backup device
    > '\\.\pipe\BackupExecSqlAgent-{ae1bacb5-ed06-492e-87f6-6ae6427d4187}-00'
    > failed to ConnectNamedPipe. Operating system error = 233(No process is on
    > the other end of the pipe.).
    >
    > I do have the SQL agent installed as well as Remote Backup Agent installed
    > on all clusters. Another SQL server we have in our network does get

    backed
    > up successfully every night. I'm only having problems with the cluster.
    >
    > Heather Morris
    > Technical Support
    > InterTech USA
    > http://www.intertech-usa.com

  10. Re: SQL Server on Cluster - ConnectNamedPipe. Operating System Error 233

    This worked for me! Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread