Exchange Agent problems - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange Agent problems - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am, evidently and according to Veritas support, an idiot. Here is my scenario: NT4 Machine (Redline) is my fileserver and backup server and has Tape Drive. NT4 Machine (Sprocket) is my Exchange Server does not have tape drive. I ...

  1. Exchange Agent problems

    I am, evidently and according to Veritas support, an idiot.

    Here is my scenario:
    NT4 Machine (Redline) is my fileserver and backup server and has Tape
    Drive.
    NT4 Machine (Sprocket) is my Exchange Server does not have tape drive.

    I have loaded the agents, created mail boxes, install mapi on the backup
    server. I have also installed the software on the exchange server, per tech
    spport, and am still unable to get Backup Exec for NT Server with Exchange
    Agent to see the exchagne server or mailboxs. Can someone PLEASE help?

    Thanks,

    Daniel Curry
    Daniel.curry@tsola.com

  2. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    Any specific errors?
    Do you see the IS and DS icons under the Exchange Server?

    Daniel Curry wrote:

    > I am, evidently and according to Veritas support, an idiot.
    >
    > Here is my scenario:
    > NT4 Machine (Redline) is my fileserver and backup server and has Tape
    > Drive.
    > NT4 Machine (Sprocket) is my Exchange Server does not have tape drive.
    >
    > I have loaded the agents, created mail boxes, install mapi on the backup
    > server. I have also installed the software on the exchange server, per tech
    > spport, and am still unable to get Backup Exec for NT Server with Exchange
    > Agent to see the exchagne server or mailboxs. Can someone PLEASE help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Daniel Curry
    > Daniel.curry@tsola.com

  3. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    I think the idiot part might be more accurate if it were directed at
    support.
    This is just a shot in the dark, but if your MAPI client is Outlook 2000 it
    won't work. You have to install O97 and then upgrade to O2K. Some kind of
    issue with a .dll. It took a week and three different tech support geniuses
    to figure this out. None of their documentation that I could find states
    this.
    "Daniel Curry" wrote in message
    > I am, evidently and according to Veritas support, an idiot.
    >
    > Here is my scenario:
    > NT4 Machine (Redline) is my fileserver and backup server and has Tape
    > Drive.
    > NT4 Machine (Sprocket) is my Exchange Server does not have tape drive.
    >
    > I have loaded the agents, created mail boxes, install mapi on the backup
    > server. I have also installed the software on the exchange server, per

    tech
    > spport, and am still unable to get Backup Exec for NT Server with Exchange
    > Agent to see the exchagne server or mailboxs. Can someone PLEASE help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Daniel Curry
    > Daniel.curry@tsola.com

  4. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    Chris,

    We are also having this problem. I see that other people are having this
    same problem. I'm working with tech support, but with no luck.

    We are using Outlook 2000 with the 2000 MAPI client. Nothing works with
    exchange 2000. We can not open our mail boxes for backup. Yes, we have the
    new updated exchange client.

    How did you fix this problem? PLEASE GO INTO DETAILS. You will help many
    people here.

    What was the name of the tech suppport people that you talk to?

    Please Help?

    Many Thanks,
    Ray - ARS Motorola
    ray@arsradio.com

    "Chris Hunter" wrote in message news:3a147c12@hronntp01....
    > I think the idiot part might be more accurate if it were directed at
    > support.
    > This is just a shot in the dark, but if your MAPI client is Outlook 2000

    it
    > won't work. You have to install O97 and then upgrade to O2K. Some kind

    of
    > issue with a .dll. It took a week and three different tech support

    geniuses
    > to figure this out. None of their documentation that I could find states
    > this.
    > "Daniel Curry" wrote in message
    > > I am, evidently and according to Veritas support, an idiot.
    > >
    > > Here is my scenario:
    > > NT4 Machine (Redline) is my fileserver and backup server and has

    Tape
    > > Drive.
    > > NT4 Machine (Sprocket) is my Exchange Server does not have tape

    drive.

    > > I have loaded the agents, created mail boxes, install mapi on the backup
    > > server. I have also installed the software on the exchange server, per

    > tech
    > > spport, and am still unable to get Backup Exec for NT Server with

    Exchange
    > > Agent to see the exchagne server or mailboxs. Can someone PLEASE help?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Daniel Curry
    > > Daniel.curry@tsola.com

  5. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    Will OL98 work by itself? Or does it also need OL97 then upgrade to OL98?

    "Chris Hunter" wrote in message news:3a147c12@hronntp01....
    > I think the idiot part might be more accurate if it were directed at
    > support.
    > This is just a shot in the dark, but if your MAPI client is Outlook 2000

    it
    > won't work. You have to install O97 and then upgrade to O2K. Some kind

    of
    > issue with a .dll. It took a week and three different tech support

    geniuses
    > to figure this out. None of their documentation that I could find states
    > this.
    > "Daniel Curry" wrote in message
    > > I am, evidently and according to Veritas support, an idiot.
    > >
    > > Here is my scenario:
    > > NT4 Machine (Redline) is my fileserver and backup server and has

    Tape
    > > Drive.
    > > NT4 Machine (Sprocket) is my Exchange Server does not have tape

    drive.

    > > I have loaded the agents, created mail boxes, install mapi on the backup
    > > server. I have also installed the software on the exchange server, per

    > tech
    > > spport, and am still unable to get Backup Exec for NT Server with

    Exchange
    > > Agent to see the exchagne server or mailboxs. Can someone PLEASE help?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Daniel Curry
    > > Daniel.curry@tsola.com

  6. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    Hi Guys,

    I am having a similar problem...
    I am trying to back up Exchange Server 5.5 from the Win2k backup server
    running be 8.5

    I keep getting access denied???

    I log into the backup server with the backup account....
    I have exchange administrator 5.5 loaded
    I can backup the exchange information store and directory with NT BACKUP
    with no problem
    The backup account has permmisions admin access to the entire exchange org,
    site, and config object
    I can see the store and directory in BE but it always fails
    I can see individual mailboxes and they expand ok... but access denied too?

    What permissions am I possibly missing?

    The documentation on this support is really weak.... I have had no problem
    getting this to work with
    Arcserv... I would hope that Veritas would support their product better!
    <--- just venting

    Thanks,

    Neil

    > I am, evidently and according to Veritas support, an idiot.
    >
    > Here is my scenario:
    > NT4 Machine (Redline) is my fileserver and backup server and has Tape
    > Drive.
    > NT4 Machine (Sprocket) is my Exchange Server does not have tape drive.
    >
    > I have loaded the agents, created mail boxes, install mapi on the backup
    > server. I have also installed the software on the exchange server, per

    tech
    > spport, and am still unable to get Backup Exec for NT Server with Exchange
    > Agent to see the exchagne server or mailboxs. Can someone PLEASE help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Daniel Curry
    > Daniel.curry@tsola.com

  7. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    I am running BackupExec 7.3 on NT on a BDC and asking it to backup mailboxes
    on my Exchange Server 5.5, sp4.

    I run into the same problem as apparantly everyone else here. I've followed
    every scrap of information on how to fix this but haven't found ANYTHING
    that works.

    It still prompts me for a mailbox to connect to, and even though I've followed
    their scenario over and over, it still doesn't work!!!!

    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD if anyone knows how to fix this horrible piece of CRAP,
    please post DETAILS here.

    THANKS
    Michael "Veritas Bites" Natale

    "arsradio" wrote:
    >Chris,
    >
    >We are also having this problem. I see that other people are having this
    >same problem. I'm working with tech support, but with no luck.
    >
    >We are using Outlook 2000 with the 2000 MAPI client. Nothing works with
    >exchange 2000. We can not open our mail boxes for backup. Yes, we have the
    >new updated exchange client.
    >
    >How did you fix this problem? PLEASE GO INTO DETAILS. You will help many
    >people here.
    >
    >What was the name of the tech suppport people that you talk to?
    >
    >Please Help?
    >
    >Many Thanks,
    >Ray - ARS Motorola
    >ray@arsradio.com
    >

    >"Chris Hunter" wrote in message news:3a147c12@hronntp01....
    >> I think the idiot part might be more accurate if it were directed at
    >> support.
    >> This is just a shot in the dark, but if your MAPI client is Outlook 2000

    >it
    >> won't work. You have to install O97 and then upgrade to O2K. Some kind

    >of
    >> issue with a .dll. It took a week and three different tech support

    >geniuses
    >> to figure this out. None of their documentation that I could find states
    >> this.
    >> "Daniel Curry" wrote in message
    >> > I am, evidently and according to Veritas support, an idiot.
    >> >
    >> > Here is my scenario:
    >> > NT4 Machine (Redline) is my fileserver and backup server and has

    >Tape
    >> > Drive.
    >> > NT4 Machine (Sprocket) is my Exchange Server does not have tape

    >drive.
    >> >
    >> > I have loaded the agents, created mail boxes, install mapi on the backup
    >> > server. I have also installed the software on the exchange server,

    per
    >> tech
    >> > spport, and am still unable to get Backup Exec for NT Server with

    >Exchange
    >> > Agent to see the exchagne server or mailboxs. Can someone PLEASE help?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Daniel Curry
    >> > Daniel.curry@tsola.com

  8. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    Hi for chris curry send a email to everyone that your clients a yuo can see
    de mailboxs y the backupexec.

    Saludos

    "Mike "I Hate Veritas" Natale" wrote:

    >I am running BackupExec 7.3 on NT on a BDC and asking it to backup mailboxes
    >on my Exchange Server 5.5, sp4.
    >
    >I run into the same problem as apparantly everyone else here. I've followed
    >every scrap of information on how to fix this but haven't found ANYTHING
    >that works.
    >
    >It still prompts me for a mailbox to connect to, and even though I've followed
    >their scenario over and over, it still doesn't work!!!!
    >
    >FOR THE LOVE OF GOD if anyone knows how to fix this horrible piece of CRAP,
    >please post DETAILS here.
    >
    >THANKS
    >Michael "Veritas Bites" Natale

    Mike are you sena one email to everycounts that you have tri it this works
    in my case.

    Saludos
    >"arsradio" wrote:
    >>Chris,
    >>
    >>We are also having this problem. I see that other people are having this
    >>same problem. I'm working with tech support, but with no luck.
    >>
    >>We are using Outlook 2000 with the 2000 MAPI client. Nothing works with
    >>exchange 2000. We can not open our mail boxes for backup. Yes, we have

    the
    >>new updated exchange client.
    >>
    >>How did you fix this problem? PLEASE GO INTO DETAILS. You will help many
    >>people here.
    >>
    >>What was the name of the tech suppport people that you talk to?
    >>
    >>Please Help?
    >>
    >>Many Thanks,
    >>Ray - ARS Motorola
    >>ray@arsradio.com
    >>
    >>Ray .. .sorry this ****ing SW does not work whit O200 y tried too for 3

    weeks and nothing happends.

    SAludos
    >>"Chris Hunter" wrote in message news:3a147c12@hronntp01....
    >>> I think the idiot part might be more accurate if it were directed at
    >>> support.
    >>> This is just a shot in the dark, but if your MAPI client is Outlook 2000

    >>it
    >>> won't work. You have to install O97 and then upgrade to O2K. Some kind

    >>of
    >>> issue with a .dll. It took a week and three different tech support

    >>geniuses
    >>> to figure this out. None of their documentation that I could find states
    >>> this.
    >>> "Daniel Curry" wrote in message

    >>Tape

    >>drive.

    >per
    >>> tech

    >>Exchange

  9. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    I must agree... this is way too painful. I rebuilt my entire server in an
    evening, but am still struggling with BackupExec a week later. I can tell
    you that upgrading is NOT the answer. I'm running Win2k SP2, Exchange 2k
    SP1, and BackupExec 8.6.... still the same damn problem! It's not a
    licensing issue and it's none of the problems that have been answered in
    this forum or in the Veritas KB.
    BackupExec is by far the most troublesome piece of software on my network.
    Problem after problem. I'm probably going to just use the backup "lite"
    program installed with Win2k server (I know it's Veritas).... At least that
    version seems to work.

    Why must backups be so difficult?

    "Mike I Hate Veritas Natale" wrote in message

    > I am running BackupExec 7.3 on NT on a BDC and asking it to backup

    mailboxes
    > on my Exchange Server 5.5, sp4.
    >
    > I run into the same problem as apparantly everyone else here. I've

    followed
    > every scrap of information on how to fix this but haven't found ANYTHING
    > that works.
    >
    > It still prompts me for a mailbox to connect to, and even though I've

    followed
    > their scenario over and over, it still doesn't work!!!!
    >
    > FOR THE LOVE OF GOD if anyone knows how to fix this horrible piece of

    CRAP,
    > please post DETAILS here.
    >
    > THANKS
    > Michael "Veritas Bites" Natale
    >
    > "arsradio" wrote:
    > >Chris,
    > >
    > >We are also having this problem. I see that other people are having this
    > >same problem. I'm working with tech support, but with no luck.
    > >
    > >We are using Outlook 2000 with the 2000 MAPI client. Nothing works with
    > >exchange 2000. We can not open our mail boxes for backup. Yes, we have

    the
    > >new updated exchange client.
    > >
    > >How did you fix this problem? PLEASE GO INTO DETAILS. You will help many
    > >people here.
    > >
    > >What was the name of the tech suppport people that you talk to?
    > >
    > >Please Help?
    > >
    > >Many Thanks,
    > >Ray - ARS Motorola
    > >ray@arsradio.com
    > >

    > >"Chris Hunter" wrote in message news:3a147c12@hronntp01....
    > >> I think the idiot part might be more accurate if it were directed at
    > >> support.
    > >> This is just a shot in the dark, but if your MAPI client is Outlook

    2000
    > >it
    > >> won't work. You have to install O97 and then upgrade to O2K. Some

    kind
    > >of
    > >> issue with a .dll. It took a week and three different tech support

    > >geniuses
    > >> to figure this out. None of their documentation that I could find

    states
    > >> this.
    > >> "Daniel Curry" wrote in message

    > >Tape

    > >drive.

    backup

    > per
    > >> tech

    > >Exchange

    help?

  10. Re: Exchange Agent problems

    hi guys,

    i am running a bent 8.5 with exchange agent on w2k and am using a w2k advanced
    server -cluster with exchange 2000.

    after installing you have to copy the "EDBBCLI.DLL" to the winnt\system32-folder
    and restart the server. afterwards you have to copy the file „ESEBCLI2.DLL“
    (from exchange-cd to „C:\EXCHSRVR\BIN“ onto your backupserver.
    use REGEDT32.EXE to make a new entry.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\BackupRestore\DLLPaths.
    create an REG_EXPAND_SZ – key with value „esebcli2“ string =“c:\exchsrvr\bin\esebcli2.dll“

    that worked for me. afterwards i was able to see all exchange-stores on the
    virtual nodes.
    (but only when you are connected directly to the backup-server.. not the
    remote-thing from veritas)

    have a nice day!

    greets,
    sven