A severe error occurred while reading or writing data - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on A severe error occurred while reading or writing data - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi: I'm using Backup Exec 7.3 for Windows NT. I'm running a backup and it abort with error: ----- TapeAlert Events ----- Warning Device: "tape device" A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not have ...

  1. A severe error occurred while reading or writing data

    Hi:
    I'm using Backup Exec 7.3 for Windows NT. I'm running a backup and it abort
    with error:

    ----- TapeAlert Events -----

    Warning
    Device: "tape device"
    A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not
    have been successfully completed.

    Critical
    Device: "tape device"
    The tape drive needs cleaning:
    1. If the operation has stopped, eject the tape and clean the drive.
    2. If the operation has not stopped, wait for it to finish and then clean
    the drive.
    Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions.

    Why this error occurs? What must I do?

    Best regards,
    Fabio.

  2. Re: A severe error occurred while reading or writing data

    Have you done what the Alert says? Namely run a cleaning tape?
    If things got so bad the the drive bitched about it like this, I'd
    run it through 4-5 times.

    Fabio Galarraga wrote:

    > Hi:
    > I'm using Backup Exec 7.3 for Windows NT. I'm running a backup and it abort
    > with error:
    >
    > ----- TapeAlert Events -----
    >
    > Warning
    > Device: "tape device"
    > A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not
    > have been successfully completed.
    >
    > Critical
    > Device: "tape device"
    > The tape drive needs cleaning:
    > 1. If the operation has stopped, eject the tape and clean the drive.
    > 2. If the operation has not stopped, wait for it to finish and then clean
    > the drive.
    > Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions.
    >
    > Why this error occurs? What must I do?
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Fabio.

  3. Re: A severe error occurred while reading or writing data

    "Fabio Galarraga" wrote:

    >Hi:
    >I'm using Backup Exec 7.3 for Windows NT. I'm running a backup and it abort
    >with error:
    >
    >----- TapeAlert Events -----
    >
    >Warning
    >Device: "tape device"
    >A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not
    >have been successfully completed.
    >
    >Critical
    >Device: "tape device"
    >The tape drive needs cleaning:
    >1. If the operation has stopped, eject the tape and clean the drive.
    >2. If the operation has not stopped, wait for it to finish and then clean
    >the drive.
    >Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions.
    >
    >Why this error occurs? What must I do?
    >
    >Best regards,
    >Fabio.

    Hi,
    I'm receiving the same error message. I've tried cleaning the device with
    2 different cleaning tapes, bought new backup tapes
    and even changed scsi cards and cables, with no result. If by
    the meantime you were able to resolve the problem, could you
    please let me know? I'm getting a little desperate here...

    thanks

    Davy Fasseel
    Allgeier Computer Belgium
    dfasseel@allgeier.be