-->"Device Not Ready" Error? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on -->"Device Not Ready" Error? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I was hoping somebody could give me a clue as to why I am getting this error after 3/4 of the backup job has ran. Error: "Storage device reported an error on request to write data to media... The device ...

  1. -->"Device Not Ready" Error?

    I was hoping somebody could give me a clue as to why I am getting this error
    after 3/4 of the backup job has ran.

    Error:
    "Storage device reported an error on request to write data to media... The
    device is not ready"

    Has anyone had any exp. with this?

    Please let me know.

    Thanks, Samantha

  2. Re: -->"Device Not Ready" Error?

    It happens to me all the time. Are you dealing with a MS Exchange Server??
    What OS?
    What Tape drives??
    What Tape drive Drivers? Manufacturer or Microsoft??

    John

    "Samantha Tigs" wrote in message

    > I was hoping somebody could give me a clue as to why I am getting this

    error
    > after 3/4 of the backup job has ran.
    >
    > Error:
    > "Storage device reported an error on request to write data to media... The
    > device is not ready"
    >
    > Has anyone had any exp. with this?
    >
    > Please let me know.
    >
    > Thanks, Samantha

  3. Re: -->"Device Not Ready" Error?

    Thanks,

    My Specs:

    -No Exchange Server
    -Running W2k
    -Quantum DLT7000 CPQ LDRV SCSI Sequential Device
    -Driver Provider: Veritas Software Inc.
    -Compaq Proliat DL380
    -Bkup Exec. Ver. 8.5

    Let Me Know if you have any ideas..

    Again Thanks,
    Samantha

    "John K. Haning" wrote:
    >It happens to me all the time. Are you dealing with a MS Exchange Server??
    >What OS?
    >What Tape drives??
    >What Tape drive Drivers? Manufacturer or Microsoft??
    >
    >John
    >
    >"Samantha Tigs" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I was hoping somebody could give me a clue as to why I am getting this

    >error
    >> after 3/4 of the backup job has ran.
    >>
    >> Error:
    >> "Storage device reported an error on request to write data to media...

    The
    >> device is not ready"
    >>
    >> Has anyone had any exp. with this?
    >>
    >> Please let me know.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Samantha

  4. Re: -->"Device Not Ready" Error?

    I was getting this error along with a couple of related errors. One was "no
    media in drive" and the other was "drive not responding". After alot of
    searching the problem turned out to be that my backups were stopping on my
    server that runs Active Directory (all my servers are win2k). I traced it
    down to it always bombing on the winnt directory on that server. All the
    rest of the win2k servers get the winnt directory backed up just fine. Ever
    since I took the winnt directory out of the backup things have been great.
    Why those errors would show up in this case I don't know, but it'll give
    you something else to look for.

    Check the backup log and see if it's always getting that error during the
    backup of the same server and if that server runs Active Directory I'll bet
    it's the same thing.

    "Samantha Tigs" wrote:

    >Thanks,
    >
    >My Specs:
    >
    >-No Exchange Server
    >-Running W2k
    >-Quantum DLT7000 CPQ LDRV SCSI Sequential Device
    >-Driver Provider: Veritas Software Inc.
    >-Compaq Proliat DL380
    >-Bkup Exec. Ver. 8.5
    >
    >Let Me Know if you have any ideas..
    >
    >Again Thanks,
    >Samantha
    >
    >"John K. Haning" wrote:
    >>It happens to me all the time. Are you dealing with a MS Exchange Server??
    >>What OS?
    >>What Tape drives??
    >>What Tape drive Drivers? Manufacturer or Microsoft??
    >>
    >>John
    >>
    >>"Samantha Tigs" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I was hoping somebody could give me a clue as to why I am getting this

    >>error
    >>> after 3/4 of the backup job has ran.
    >>>
    >>> Error:
    >>> "Storage device reported an error on request to write data to media...

    >The
    >>> device is not ready"
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone had any exp. with this?
    >>>
    >>> Please let me know.