Problems/Questions - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Problems/Questions - Veritas Backup Exec ; BENT8.0 (server) gives the following error in the middle of backing up: "Storage device "dell1" reported an error on a request to write data to media." Pretty vague. Sometimes I will get a good backup, but most times I get ...

  1. Problems/Questions

    BENT8.0 (server) gives the following error in the middle of backing up: "Storage
    device "dell1" reported an error on a request to write data to media."

    Pretty vague. Sometimes I will get a good backup, but most times I get the
    above error. What does it mean?

    I must confess I am confused by this program with its "media sets" and scratch
    folders, etc. Here are a few questions:

    1. Do I have to actually move media to "scratch" every time I use them?
    2. If I have a bunch of media in scratch which one does it use? The one that
    is physically in the drive (no matter which folder it is in)?
    3. Is this simply a bad drive? (the backup appears to work sometimes)
    4. All I want to set up is to put a tape in the drive before I leave at night
    and have it automatically backup the server. Is this possible with this program
    or is it simply too convoluted for that?

    Thank You

  2. Re: Problems/Questions

    Roger,
    1. No you do not have to move media to scratch media every night as
    long as you have enough room on your tapes. We use Mammoth 2 drive
    and they hold 150GB so we put multiple backup jobs on each tape.
    2. The tapes in scratch that get used are gennerally the one on the
    top. We have a tape library so there is a pool it chooses from.
    3. I don't know about your drive.
    4. That is what I do every night. The tape library loads and unloads
    tapes all night for the backup jobs.
    Hope this answers some of your questions.
    "Roger Hotz" wrote:

    >BENT8.0 (server) gives the following error in the middle of backing up:

    "Storage
    >device "dell1" reported an error on a request to write data to media."
    >
    >Pretty vague. Sometimes I will get a good backup, but most times I get the
    >above error. What does it mean?
    >
    >I must confess I am confused by this program with its "media sets" and scratch
    >folders, etc. Here are a few questions:
    >
    >1. Do I have to actually move media to "scratch" every time I use them?
    >2. If I have a bunch of media in scratch which one does it use? The one

    that
    >is physically in the drive (no matter which folder it is in)?
    >3. Is this simply a bad drive? (the backup appears to work sometimes)
    >4. All I want to set up is to put a tape in the drive before I leave at

    night
    >and have it automatically backup the server. Is this possible with this

    program
    >or is it simply too convoluted for that?
    >
    >Thank You

+ Reply to Thread