    Event ID: 7023
    Date: 10/16/2000
    Time: 4:15:10 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NS2
    The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 service terminated with
    the following error:

    If I attempt to manually start the Backup Exec Remote Agent, I get an MMC
    error: error 2 - cannot find the file specified.

    I see the files were installed into the directory "bentaa" but I don't know
    what file it can't find! I attempted to reinstall and had the same results.
    I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm trying to find a backup solution
    for our network as I'd encountered problems upgrading our Arcserve to Arcserve
    2000 and could never get anyone at CA to call me back. ARGH!

    Thanks.

    Heather Morris

  2. Re: Remote Agent Error 2

    I too am receiving the same error on a 2000 Server. Looks like a pattern
    here.

    "Heather Morris" wrote:

    >I've just installed the evaluation version of Backup Exec v8.50 Rev 3571

    on
    >our Windows 2000 backup server. I'm in the process of installing the remote
    >agent on several of our other machines and I'm encountering a problem on
    >one of them.
    >
    >The remote machine is running Win2k and is a BDC. After installing the

    remote
    >backup agent and rebooting the machine, I'm getting the following error

    in
    >the event viewer;
    >
    >Event Type: Error
    >Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >Event Category: None
    >Event ID: 7023
    >Date: 10/16/2000
    >Time: 4:15:10 PM
    >User: N/A
    >Computer: NS2
    >The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 service terminated with
    >the following error:
    >The system cannot find the file specified.
    >
    >If I attempt to manually start the Backup Exec Remote Agent, I get an MMC
    >error: error 2 - cannot find the file specified.
    >
    >I see the files were installed into the directory "bentaa" but I don't know
    >what file it can't find! I attempted to reinstall and had the same results.
    > I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm trying to find a backup solution
    >for our network as I'd encountered problems upgrading our Arcserve to Arcserve
    >2000 and could never get anyone at CA to call me back. ARGH!
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Heather Morris

  3. Re: Remote Agent Error 2

    "John Randolph" wrote:

    >I too am receiving the same error on a 2000 Server. Looks like a pattern
    >here.
    >
    >"Heather Morris" wrote:
    >>
    >>I've just installed the evaluation version of Backup Exec v8.50 Rev 3571

    >on
    >>our Windows 2000 backup server. I'm in the process of installing the remote
    >>agent on several of our other machines and I'm encountering a problem on
    >>one of them.
    >>
    >>The remote machine is running Win2k and is a BDC. After installing the

    >remote
    >>backup agent and rebooting the machine, I'm getting the following error

    >in
    >>the event viewer;
    >>
    >>Event Type: Error
    >>Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >>Event Category: None
    >>Event ID: 7023
    >>Date: 10/16/2000
    >>Time: 4:15:10 PM
    >>User: N/A
    >>Computer: NS2
    >>The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 service terminated with
    >>the following error:
    >>The system cannot find the file specified.
    >>
    >>If I attempt to manually start the Backup Exec Remote Agent, I get an MMC
    >>error: error 2 - cannot find the file specified.
    >>
    >>I see the files were installed into the directory "bentaa" but I don't

    know
    >>what file it can't find! I attempted to reinstall and had the same results.
    >> I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm trying to find a backup solution
    >>for our network as I'd encountered problems upgrading our Arcserve to Arcserve
    >>2000 and could never get anyone at CA to call me back. ARGH!
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>Heather Morris

    In another forum post, this was said to be solved by installing the Appletalk
    protocol, but not using it, fyi.

  4. Re: Remote Agent Error 2

    "shawne kleckner" wrote:

    >"John Randolph" wrote:
    >>
    >>I too am receiving the same error on a 2000 Server. Looks like a pattern
    >>here.
    >>
    >>"Heather Morris" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I've just installed the evaluation version of Backup Exec v8.50 Rev 3571

    >>on
    >>>our Windows 2000 backup server. I'm in the process of installing the

    remote
    >>>agent on several of our other machines and I'm encountering a problem

    on
    >>>one of them.
    >>>
    >>>The remote machine is running Win2k and is a BDC. After installing the

    >>remote
    >>>backup agent and rebooting the machine, I'm getting the following error

    >>in
    >>>the event viewer;
    >>>
    >>>Event Type: Error
    >>>Event Source: Service Control Manager
    >>>Event Category: None
    >>>Event ID: 7023
    >>>Date: 10/16/2000
    >>>Time: 4:15:10 PM
    >>>User: N/A
    >>>Computer: NS2
    >>>The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 service terminated with
    >>>the following error:
    >>>The system cannot find the file specified.
    >>>
    >>>If I attempt to manually start the Backup Exec Remote Agent, I get an

    MMC
    >>>error: error 2 - cannot find the file specified.
    >>>
    >>>I see the files were installed into the directory "bentaa" but I don't

    >know
    >>>what file it can't find! I attempted to reinstall and had the same results.
    >>> I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm trying to find a backup solution
    >>>for our network as I'd encountered problems upgrading our Arcserve to

    Arcserve
    >>>2000 and could never get anyone at CA to call me back. ARGH!
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>Heather Morris
    >>>

    >In another forum post, this was said to be solved by installing the Appletalk
    >protocol, but not using it, fyi.

    I installed the Apple Talk Protocol (even though we don't use it and it let
    me start the remote agent service. Go figure.

+ Reply to Thread