SQL Bakcup Error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL Bakcup Error - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am using BENT 8.0 When i backup my SQL server I get the foll. error An error occurred on a query to database master. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ SQL Server returned the following error message: You can ...

  1. SQL Bakcup Error

    Hi,
    I am using BENT 8.0
    When i backup my SQL server I get the foll. error

    An error occurred on a query to database master.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SQL Server returned the following error message:

    You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP
    DATABASE to back up the entire master database.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item master - skipped.

    An error occurred on a query to filegroup master..PRIMARY.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SQL Server returned the following error message:

    You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP
    DATABASE to back up the entire master database.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item master?PRIMARY - skipped.

    Can anyone help me ?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: SQL Bakcup Error

    Are you trying to backup filegroups? Why?

    Try selecting only the databases themeselves.

    Maneesh wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am using BENT 8.0
    > When i backup my SQL server I get the foll. error
    >
    > An error occurred on a query to database master.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >
    > You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP
    > DATABASE to back up the entire master database.
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item master - skipped.
    >
    > An error occurred on a query to filegroup master..PRIMARY.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    >
    > You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP
    > DATABASE to back up the entire master database.
    >
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to open the item master?PRIMARY - skipped.
    >
    > Can anyone help me ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  3. Re: SQL Bakcup Error

    Hi,

    I just stumbled upon this newsgroup because I was having the exact same
    error today. (I am running BENT 7.3 though). Only the databases were
    selected, not any filegroups, and I get the same errors referencing
    databases only though.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    Doug Donovan

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Are you trying to backup filegroups? Why?
    >
    > Try selecting only the databases themeselves.
    >
    > Maneesh wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > > I am using BENT 8.0
    > > When i backup my SQL server I get the foll. error
    > >
    > > An error occurred on a query to database master.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    > >
    > > You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP
    > > DATABASE to back up the entire master database.
    > >
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Unable to open the item master - skipped.
    > >
    > > An error occurred on a query to filegroup master..PRIMARY.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    > >
    > > You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP
    > > DATABASE to back up the entire master database.
    > >
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Unable to open the item master?PRIMARY - skipped.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help me ?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

  4. Re: SQL Bakcup Error

    Do you have circular logging enabled?

    If so, you cannot backup the log files, only the database files.

    Doug wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just stumbled upon this newsgroup because I was having the exact same
    > error today. (I am running BENT 7.3 though). Only the databases were
    > selected, not any filegroups, and I get the same errors referencing
    > databases only though.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Doug Donovan
    >
    > "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > > Are you trying to backup filegroups? Why?
    > >
    > > Try selecting only the databases themeselves.
    > >
    > > Maneesh wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hi,
    > > > I am using BENT 8.0
    > > > When i backup my SQL server I get the foll. error
    > > >
    > > > An error occurred on a query to database master.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    > > >
    > > > You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP
    > > > DATABASE to back up the entire master database.
    > > >
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Unable to open the item master - skipped.
    > > >
    > > > An error occurred on a query to filegroup master..PRIMARY.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > SQL Server returned the following error message:
    > > >
    > > > You can only perform a full backup of the master database. Use BACKUP
    > > > DATABASE to back up the entire master database.
    > > >
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Unable to open the item master?PRIMARY - skipped.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone help me ?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread