unrecognized media error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on unrecognized media error - Veritas Backup Exec ; I support over 80 Compaq server with Compaq DLT tape units all running Ver 7.2 1616. All my servers at one time or another fails to backup with an unrecognized media error. This is a daily problem with different servers ...

  1. unrecognized media error

    I support over 80 Compaq server with Compaq DLT tape units all running Ver
    7.2 1616. All my servers at one time or another fails to backup with an unrecognized
    media error. This is a daily problem with different servers each day. I
    have to erase the tape before I can use it again. Why is this happening when
    the tape work fine before? Can you set the software to do a quick erase
    on the tape each time before a backup is started?

  2. Re: unrecognized media error

    I hightly reccommend the free upgrade to V7.3/Build 2575 + POST2575b
    hotfix.
    By far the most stable build of the V7.2/V7.3 family

    You coould use the BEMCMD command in a pre-job CMD file with the -o113
    to re-label the tape or -o111 to format.

    Rollin Bryant wrote:

    > I support over 80 Compaq server with Compaq DLT tape units all running Ver
    > 7.2 1616. All my servers at one time or another fails to backup with an unrecognized
    > media error. This is a daily problem with different servers each day. I
    > have to erase the tape before I can use it again. Why is this happening when
    > the tape work fine before? Can you set the software to do a quick erase
    > on the tape each time before a backup is started?

  3. Re: unrecognized media error

    What kind of Compaq DLT?

    "Rollin Bryant" wrote in message

    > I support over 80 Compaq server with Compaq DLT tape units all running Ver
    > 7.2 1616. All my servers at one time or another fails to backup with an

    unrecognized
    > media error. This is a daily problem with different servers each day. I
    > have to erase the tape before I can use it again. Why is this happening

    when
    > the tape work fine before? Can you set the software to do a quick erase
    > on the tape each time before a backup is started?

+ Reply to Thread