Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery - Veritas Backup Exec ; For total protection, I would stop all exchange services after doing a live backup, and then backup the box again. That way you have all the flat files too. "ECH Horsens" wrote in message news:39db42a9@hronntp01.... > Hello, > > I ...

  1. Re: Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery

    > Hello,
    >
    > I attempt to migrate my mail server from NT4/Exchange 5.5 to
    > Win/Exchange2000, which have proven succesfull in all test situations.

    But -
    > the backup of the Exch5.5 Server (Directory, IS and mailboxes) can only be
    > backed up to the same server as far as I understand - can I use these
    > backups to build a new Exchange Server if anything fails during

    migration -
    > if that server has the same Netbios name as the original one?
    >
    > Regards, Tim

  2. Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery

    Hello,

    I attempt to migrate my mail server from NT4/Exchange 5.5 to
    Win/Exchange2000, which have proven succesfull in all test situations. But -
    the backup of the Exch5.5 Server (Directory, IS and mailboxes) can only be
    backed up to the same server as far as I understand - can I use these
    backups to build a new Exchange Server if anything fails during migration -
    if that server has the same Netbios name as the original one?

    Regards, Tim

  3. Re: Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery

    I haven't used Win2k server, so I don't know if you can do an upgrade or
    not. If you can do an upgrade (i.e. install the OS, but all the SID's stay
    they same on ther server), then you can just restore as if you are restoring
    to the original location. If you have to do a full install of the new OS
    (i.e. this is a new machine that just happens to have the same name as the
    original), then you have to do a redirection. You can redirect the
    information store, but not the directory. When you set up the restore job
    options in BENT, you can go to the redirection tab and enter a machine name.
    The redirection check box will be disabled if you have selected the
    directory. If you have to redirect, you will need to recreate all the
    rights for the mailboxes (e.g. the primary Nt account, etc.).

    Another possibility is to get a second server and add it to your site and
    replicate the mail data to the second server. If you need to re-install
    Exchange on your original server, your site will still exist and you can add
    the replacement machine to the still existing site and replicate back. This
    will maintain all the site and rights information better then restoring from
    tape.

    Charles Villa

  4. Re: Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery

    But I can restore to a new box with the same name?

    "JT Clark" wrote in message
    > For total protection, I would stop all exchange services after doing a

    live
    > backup, and then backup the box again. That way you have all the flat

    files
    > too.
    >
    > "ECH Horsens" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I attempt to migrate my mail server from NT4/Exchange 5.5 to
    > > Win/Exchange2000, which have proven succesfull in all test situations.

    > But -
    > > the backup of the Exch5.5 Server (Directory, IS and mailboxes) can only

    be
    > > backed up to the same server as far as I understand - can I use these
    > > backups to build a new Exchange Server if anything fails during

    > migration -
    > > if that server has the same Netbios name as the original one?
    > >
    > > Regards, Tim

  5. Re: Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery

    With the flat files, you will be able to fully restore everything to the way
    it was at backup time. And yes, the same name. Be aware however, that if you
    are running more than one exch server in your org, you'll need to remove the
    server in Exchange admin and add it back in when restored for folder
    replication.

    > But I can restore to a new box with the same name?
    >
    > "JT Clark" wrote in message
    > > For total protection, I would stop all exchange services after doing a

    > live
    > > backup, and then backup the box again. That way you have all the flat

    > files
    > > too.
    > >
    > > "ECH Horsens" wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I attempt to migrate my mail server from NT4/Exchange 5.5 to
    > > > Win/Exchange2000, which have proven succesfull in all test situations.

    > > But -
    > > > the backup of the Exch5.5 Server (Directory, IS and mailboxes) can

    only
    > be
    > > > backed up to the same server as far as I understand - can I use these
    > > > backups to build a new Exchange Server if anything fails during

    > > migration -
    > > > if that server has the same Netbios name as the original one?
    > > >
    > > > Regards, Tim

  6. Re: Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery

    I'm surprised. When restoring to a different machine, will restoring from
    files restore the directory also? I didn't realize this was available. I
    thought that if your only machine went down, you couldn't restore directory
    info because SID's are now different. I would be glad to hear you tried
    this and it has worked for you.

    Thanks,
    Charles Villa

  7. Re: Exchange 5.5 Disaster Recovery

    From the disaster recovery whitepaper
    (at http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/te...kupRestore.htm

    3. Log on to Windows NT as administrator and perform a complete Exchange
    install using the same site and organization name used on the server
    from which you are restoring the mailbox. Do not join site. The server
    name of the restore computer does not matter for a single mailbox
    restore because you are restoring only the information store, not the
    directory. If you have a dedicated recovery server per location, you can
    keep Exchange installed, but if several sites share a recovery server,
    keep a copy of the Exchange installation code on the hard disk so you
    can install based on the required site and organization. The paths for
    this Exchange install do not have to match the paths of the production
    Exchange install being recovered.

    Charles Villa wrote:

    > I'm surprised. When restoring to a different machine, will restoring from
    > files restore the directory also? I didn't realize this was available. I
    > thought that if your only machine went down, you couldn't restore directory
    > info because SID's are now different. I would be glad to hear you tried
    > this and it has worked for you.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Charles Villa

+ Reply to Thread