Poor support response from Technical Support - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Poor support response from Technical Support - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm a new customer to Veritas, basically over the past 11 years I've used Arcserve products (over approx 50 servers NT and Netware). After years of problems with Computer Associates, we recently decided to invest in BackupExec products mainly due ...

  1. Poor support response from Technical Support

    I'm a new customer to Veritas, basically over the past 11 years I've used
    Arcserve products (over approx 50 servers NT and Netware). After years of
    problems with Computer Associates, we recently decided to invest in BackupExec
    products mainly due to recommendation and the Veritas name.

    Basically I've come across a fairly fundamental problem with the software
    which needs resolving (I've covered this in another post).

    I thought I would ring Veritas Technical Support, and log an incident, and
    use my new VIP Support Contract. VIP sounds good, that's really raised my
    expectations, so on to the telephone.

    Initially after some confusion, I was advised that my VIP support contract
    was in fact registered with two other companies. Support passed me on to
    another section, where after several minutes interrogation I was given a
    temporary support contract number. I was then passed back to technical support,
    unfortunately the person in technical support had very poor English language
    skills. He simply could not understand what I was trying to say, and kept
    advising me to install the accelerator agent, I kept advising him that I
    had, we were getting nowhere. He was obviously reading stuff off the computer
    screen that he had absolutely no knowledge about, and I could tell he was
    getting a bit upset after he said "that I didn't believe him". So I asked
    to speak to somebody else, escalate the problem, only to be told that "there
    was nobody", eventually after demanding to speak to anybody, I was plunged
    into the abyss of the silent hold. I eventually get somebody who can speak
    English. He advises me that in fact there has been a licencing change and
    I now need to purchase another product, completely contradicting what the
    previous guy had said.

    Nobody really wanted to know, or own my problem and I still have no real
    solution. My initial impression is that Veritas don't care about their customers,
    even when they purchase their products in large volumes.

    I'm only 31, but I've been in the IT industry for over 12 years, NEVER, NEVER
    !! in all that time have I received such poor and incompetent service. Where
    can I go from here ?

    The four people I spoke too in the Veritas organisation this morning have
    forced me to re-evaluate my decision, I would be interested to hear from
    other customers. Is this the level of performance that Veritas provide ?

  2. Re: Poor support response from Technical Support

    From my experience so far, yes, this is what to expect. I just got off the
    phone with Veritas because of an incident I had to purchase last week. (The
    idea of paying for support bothers me greatly now.) I told them I would not
    pay for it, because after FOUR hours with a useless tech, I decided it was
    not a veritas problem, but a Microsoft problem. I then called MS and the
    resolved it. Anyway, I was told that "veritas does not guarentee solutions,
    only that you will speak with a tech."

    What the hell is that??? I know arcserve had its problems, and you would
    wait on hold as long as veritas, but atleast they fixed the problems,
    usually.

    Looking at other solutions, if anyone has one please let me know

    Scott M Gorham
    ChooseEnergy.com

    "Jonathan Parker" wrote in message

    > I'm a new customer to Veritas, basically over the past 11 years I've used
    > Arcserve products (over approx 50 servers NT and Netware). After years of
    > problems with Computer Associates, we recently decided to invest in

    BackupExec
    > products mainly due to recommendation and the Veritas name.
    >
    > Basically I've come across a fairly fundamental problem with the software
    > which needs resolving (I've covered this in another post).
    >
    > I thought I would ring Veritas Technical Support, and log an incident, and
    > use my new VIP Support Contract. VIP sounds good, that's really raised my
    > expectations, so on to the telephone.
    >
    > Initially after some confusion, I was advised that my VIP support contract
    > was in fact registered with two other companies. Support passed me on to
    > another section, where after several minutes interrogation I was given a
    > temporary support contract number. I was then passed back to technical

    support,
    > unfortunately the person in technical support had very poor English

    language
    > skills. He simply could not understand what I was trying to say, and kept
    > advising me to install the accelerator agent, I kept advising him that I
    > had, we were getting nowhere. He was obviously reading stuff off the

    computer
    > screen that he had absolutely no knowledge about, and I could tell he was
    > getting a bit upset after he said "that I didn't believe him". So I asked
    > to speak to somebody else, escalate the problem, only to be told that

    "there
    > was nobody", eventually after demanding to speak to anybody, I was plunged
    > into the abyss of the silent hold. I eventually get somebody who can speak
    > English. He advises me that in fact there has been a licencing change and
    > I now need to purchase another product, completely contradicting what the
    > previous guy had said.
    >
    > Nobody really wanted to know, or own my problem and I still have no real
    > solution. My initial impression is that Veritas don't care about their

    customers,
    > even when they purchase their products in large volumes.
    >
    > I'm only 31, but I've been in the IT industry for over 12 years, NEVER,

    NEVER
    > !! in all that time have I received such poor and incompetent service.

    Where
    > can I go from here ?
    >
    > The four people I spoke too in the Veritas organisation this morning have
    > forced me to re-evaluate my decision, I would be interested to hear from
    > other customers. Is this the level of performance that Veritas provide ?

  3. Re: Poor support response from Technical Support

    Hmmm... I never called. Normally when I faced any problem with their product
    I search their knowledgebase on the web. If I can't found anything, then I
    post them a mail and get the good response.

    I think I get the support from Australia team.

    Brgds,
    /Choo.

    > I'm a new customer to Veritas, basically over the past 11 years I've used
    > Arcserve products (over approx 50 servers NT and Netware). After years of
    > problems with Computer Associates, we recently decided to invest in

    BackupExec
    > products mainly due to recommendation and the Veritas name.
    >
    > Basically I've come across a fairly fundamental problem with the software
    > which needs resolving (I've covered this in another post).
    >
    > I thought I would ring Veritas Technical Support, and log an incident, and
    > use my new VIP Support Contract. VIP sounds good, that's really raised my
    > expectations, so on to the telephone.
    >
    > Initially after some confusion, I was advised that my VIP support contract
    > was in fact registered with two other companies. Support passed me on to
    > another section, where after several minutes interrogation I was given a
    > temporary support contract number. I was then passed back to technical

    support,
    > unfortunately the person in technical support had very poor English

    language
    > skills. He simply could not understand what I was trying to say, and kept
    > advising me to install the accelerator agent, I kept advising him that I
    > had, we were getting nowhere. He was obviously reading stuff off the

    computer
    > screen that he had absolutely no knowledge about, and I could tell he was
    > getting a bit upset after he said "that I didn't believe him". So I asked
    > to speak to somebody else, escalate the problem, only to be told that

    "there
    > was nobody", eventually after demanding to speak to anybody, I was plunged
    > into the abyss of the silent hold. I eventually get somebody who can speak
    > English. He advises me that in fact there has been a licencing change and
    > I now need to purchase another product, completely contradicting what the
    > previous guy had said.
    >
    > Nobody really wanted to know, or own my problem and I still have no real
    > solution. My initial impression is that Veritas don't care about their

    customers,
    > even when they purchase their products in large volumes.
    >
    > I'm only 31, but I've been in the IT industry for over 12 years, NEVER,

    NEVER
    > !! in all that time have I received such poor and incompetent service.

    Where
    > can I go from here ?
    >
    > The four people I spoke too in the Veritas organisation this morning have
    > forced me to re-evaluate my decision, I would be interested to hear from
    > other customers. Is this the level of performance that Veritas provide ?

  4. Re: Poor support response from Technical Support

    I've been dealing with Veritas since January 2000. I've called them numerous
    times with my Corporations VIP contract and have had many dealings with tech
    support. All the times I've called, I've had extremely short wait times,
    knowledgable technicians, and about 8 times out of 10 they usually fix my
    problem in their first shot. I definitely cannot relate to your experience
    with Veritas TechSupp. Sorry to hear that you're having that big a problem
    with them.

    Jonathan Parker wrote in message <39db3b7f$1@hronntp01.>...

    >I'm a new customer to Veritas, basically over the past 11 years I've used
    >Arcserve products (over approx 50 servers NT and Netware). After years of
    >problems with Computer Associates, we recently decided to invest in

    BackupExec
    >products mainly due to recommendation and the Veritas name.
    >
    >Basically I've come across a fairly fundamental problem with the software
    >which needs resolving (I've covered this in another post).
    >
    >I thought I would ring Veritas Technical Support, and log an incident, and
    >use my new VIP Support Contract. VIP sounds good, that's really raised my
    >expectations, so on to the telephone.
    >
    >Initially after some confusion, I was advised that my VIP support contract
    >was in fact registered with two other companies. Support passed me on to
    >another section, where after several minutes interrogation I was given a
    >temporary support contract number. I was then passed back to technical

    support,
    >unfortunately the person in technical support had very poor English

    language
    >skills. He simply could not understand what I was trying to say, and kept
    >advising me to install the accelerator agent, I kept advising him that I
    >had, we were getting nowhere. He was obviously reading stuff off the

    computer
    >screen that he had absolutely no knowledge about, and I could tell he was
    >getting a bit upset after he said "that I didn't believe him". So I asked
    >to speak to somebody else, escalate the problem, only to be told that

    "there
    >was nobody", eventually after demanding to speak to anybody, I was plunged
    >into the abyss of the silent hold. I eventually get somebody who can speak
    >English. He advises me that in fact there has been a licencing change and
    >I now need to purchase another product, completely contradicting what the
    >previous guy had said.
    >
    >Nobody really wanted to know, or own my problem and I still have no real
    >solution. My initial impression is that Veritas don't care about their

    customers,
    >even when they purchase their products in large volumes.
    >
    >I'm only 31, but I've been in the IT industry for over 12 years, NEVER,

    NEVER
    >!! in all that time have I received such poor and incompetent service.

    Where
    >can I go from here ?
    >
    >The four people I spoke too in the Veritas organisation this morning have
    >forced me to re-evaluate my decision, I would be interested to hear from
    >other customers. Is this the level of performance that Veritas provide ?

  5. Re: Poor support response from Technical Support

    I agree. Veritas tech support is among the worst in the business. I feel like
    you are constantly being stonewalled instead of helped anytime you call them.
    Also, you can easily get 5 different answers from 5 different techs on the
    same question. They never call you back when they say they will.
    Also, their knowledge base is very poor. We are planning on moving all
    our customers to other backup software. We are just sick of it.

    "Scott M Gorham" wrote:
> [...]

    >> I now need to purchase another product, completely contradicting what

    the
    >> previous guy had said.
    >>
    >> Nobody really wanted to know, or own my problem and I still have no real
    >> solution. My initial impression is that Veritas don't care about their

    >customers,
    >> even when they purchase their products in large volumes.
    >>
    >> I'm only 31, but I've been in the IT industry for over 12 years, NEVER,

    >NEVER
    >> !! in all that time have I received such poor and incompetent service.

    >Where
    >> can I go from here ?
    >>
    >> The four people I spoke too in the Veritas organisation this morning have
    >> forced me to re-evaluate my decision, I would be interested to hear from
    >> other customers. Is this the level of performance that Veritas provide

    ?

  6. Re: Poor support response from Technical Support

    Not to throw a wrench in things, but my experiences with Veritas have been
    quite good. If you are being shafted in any way, the first order of business
    is to take down the name/number of everyone you speak to. The second is to
    scream at your CSR and go up the ladder until you get satisfaction. They
    record conversations for quality monitoring, and it gets addressed. There
    are some bad people at Veritas, just as there are good people at Legato and
    CA. Whether I talk to Compaq, Microsoft, Autodesk, IBM or whoever, there
    is a learning curve I take note of. How the company is run overall is what
    counts. In the long run I think Arcserve will bring you more headaches than
    relief ("run this patch and call me in the morning. Don't call back until
    you've renamed these .dlls and..."). There is no excuse for treating clients
    poorly at any level. Don't get even--get ahead.

    "Tony Cekada" wrote:

> [...]

    >the
    >>> previous guy had said.
    >>>
    >>> Nobody really wanted to know, or own my problem and I still have no real
    >>> solution. My initial impression is that Veritas don't care about their

    >>customers,
    >>> even when they purchase their products in large volumes.
    >>>
    >>> I'm only 31, but I've been in the IT industry for over 12 years, NEVER,

    >>NEVER
    >>> !! in all that time have I received such poor and incompetent service.

    >>Where
    >>> can I go from here ?
    >>>
    >>> The four people I spoke too in the Veritas organisation this morning

    have
    >>> forced me to re-evaluate my decision, I would be interested to hear from
    >>> other customers. Is this the level of performance that Veritas provide

+ Reply to Thread